Man City vs Newcastle

Decky

Manchester City have their own injury problems, and I think we need to be wary of a very attacking 4411 formation.

We need a brick in defence to deal with Mpenza, but the midfielder in the hole is one for the more continental defensive players to deal with. thus it is a shared job for Rozehnal and Geremi. I think we are in trouble if we are forced into a Faye-Taylor partnership.

Manchester City probably do have the brightest and most talented midfield we have faced so far this season, and today is for a tough and wizened trio of midfielders to deal with the Premier League inexperience of Elano, Johnson and Petrov. Thus, Butt, Geremi and Smith should all play.

Right wing is Manchester City's weak point at this moment with Stephen Ireland, so I would persist with N'Zogbia at left back - although I don't rate him defensively, I feel there will be little pressure at that side of the pitch, giving him a licence to get forward.

Milner, Martins and Viduka then pick themselves as the only other attacking players available.

So do we play 442 or 433?

Tough call, but I'd play 433 as Manchester City's midfield seems to be pretty compact.

The key battles for this game could be:

Taylor/Faye vs Mpenza

Rozehnal and Geremi vs Elano

Smith and Beye vs Petrov

Butt vs Johnson

N'Zogbia and Milner vs Ireland and Corluka

Martins vs Richards and Garrido

Viduka vs Dunne and Hamann

In bold are the battles we may win, and in italics are the battles we could lose out on.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw with goals for Johnson and Geremi (penalty)

One other thing is that our defence like to get the ball down and spend some time on the ball. We've had problems against Derby and West Ham when this wasn't allowed. I think that this time though, they are going to get the time they need.

Happy to wait for Emre or Barton to come back playing regular football before even starting to judge where we are creatively. 3 defensive midfielders in a 4-4-2 is never going to be playing exciting football!

He doesnt have to do that though. He could easily switch Geremi to the right where he has had a successful career (even in the premiership) and move Zog forward. Emre has had two years to prove himself and done bugger all so I wouldnt hold your breath on that. Barton is a box to box player but i doubt he is the creative answer. Of course its the personnel who are a major problembut Sam isn't the most adventurous. At Derby he should have been.

Its a tough one, would prefer Zog on the wing but I think he would have done a better job than anyone else in the squad at left back while Enrique wasn't playing.

Still think Emre would have given us more than the Butt and Geremi partnership, I thought he did really well when he played with Butt for a while last season. Parker isn't a creative midfielder as you say but he would have added a hell of a lot more going foward from the centre than anything else we have seen. He also would have pounced on the second balls around the area we have had quite a problem with.

Quite surprisingly for a central midfielder Barton put in more crosses than most of the players in the league last season.

Beeb:

1136: Fatboyjohnmulhern predicts a 0-0 draw, but since Newcastle have failed to keep a clean sheet in their 16 games since last playing City is that really realistic? City have scored in every home game this season. In fact, all their home games have ended 1-0. Consistent City. Who would have thought it?

The clean sheets against Villa, Barnsley and Wigan must have been a dream then...

For Sam:

------------------------------------- Given

Beye----------------- Cacapa----------------Rozenhal----------------N'Zogbia

--------------Smith---------------Geremi------------------Butt

Milner---------------------------------------------------------------------Martins

-----------------------------------Viduka

Subs:

Harper

Jose Enrique

Taylor

Faye

Emre

For Sam:

------------------------------------- Given

Beye----------------- Cacapa----------------Rozenhal----------------N'Zogbia

--------------Smith---------------Geremi------------------Butt

Milner---------------------------------------------------------------------Martins

-----------------------------------Viduka

Subs:

Harper

Jose Enrique

Taylor

Faye

Emre

Is that confirmed?