Alan Smith

Dave

Alan Smiths best position is up front,except he doesnt score enough goals to justify him playing there.So why did we buy him????Thats the real question.

Because we could afford to and we need him for days like today.  Not a big deal. 

Some people clutching at straws in their search for criticism......

I really don't get it, mate.  We're a better club than we were last year and it's still not good enough.  We are

right where we should be in our road back to being a formidable opponent.  3pts back of 4th, FFS. 

He'll still be of some use to us in midfield at times in my opinion.

Best position is upfront, but when we have someone in midfield like an Emre or Barton to try and create things going forward then Smith's game in midfield will be more worthwhile. Alongside Butt and Geremi, two holding players, there's no real use for him but with someone like Barton in there Smith could be useful.

Barton -- Geremi -- Smith

For away games would do alright if we're insistent on using the 4-3-3.

Would prefer us to stick with 4-4-2 and use him as an option up front, though.

He's a front player, end of really.

Why hameobi has played up front in Vidukas absence, with Smith in the squad, is an absolute mystery to me. Decisions like that would make me lost faith in Allardyce, and I wanted him for the job. Diabolical.

Yeah, just he's handy in an emergency like.

Suppose you could argue that we had nobody else to play in midfield recently, which is why Smith was used there. I'd have tried Milner through the middle myself.

I'm trying to be positive about Milner. He's a good lad with a great attitude, but he lacks pace. So  I say to myself that Beckham also lacked pace, as did Nobby, but was so good at crossing and seeing things quickly they overcame it and became quality players, so I hope that Milner can also do it.

In truth though, I don't think he will be but I hope that I am wrong.

aye, but for someone whos had as many games as he has, he should, really, already be able to pick out a adecent cross- which he's been pretty pitiful at for a while now.

That said i like the kid, a lot to learn and definitely one of our best players last year. But practicing and training will help him do that and i do think his bad form is a direct result of being knackered.

I like smith, it takes a good player to be able to aptly (debatable perhaps in midfield) both upfront and midfield. Must be a great player, tactically, to have on the pitch if your a manager

EDIT- top 2 paragraphs talking about milner, just to avoid confusion

I really don't get it, mate.  We're a better club than we were last year and it's still not good enough.  We are

right where we should be in our road back to being a formidable opponent.  3pts back of 4th, FFS. 

Aye, same for me. I just don't get what some people are on about. It's a rebuilding job that will take time unfortunately.

I have my moments regarding Allardyce when he messes about with 4-3-3 that I just don't think suits the players. He also pisses me off when he selects Smith in midfield, but we're fundamentally on the right lines.

Guest Rodimus Prime

I really do resent paying £35 to watch Alan Smith play football.

Then don't go? Someone who's actually positive about the team and realises Smith has tried his heart out in a position he obviously hates would be better suited to your seat.

Also, he played well yesterday.

His best game for us so far, by far, today. As such he deserves credit.

Alright it didn't take much doing, but he was very good today IMO. Won a lot in the air, some clever touches to others and put Martins through a couple of times which should have resulted in goals.

As I've said before: up front or not at all. Let's hope Allardyce sees the same.

Then he went and got suspended. :lol:

Always a good player to have in the squad...First in and last out in training type. Smith will always give everything and as Dave says a good alternative as a forward. Ocassional appearances in the center of midfield coming on for 20 min or so to spice things up and perhaps decapitate one or two of thiers... :razz:

Alan Smiths best position is up front,except he doesnt score enough goals to justify him playing there.So why did we buy him????Thats the real question.

Because we could afford to and we need him for days like today.  Not a big deal. 

Sibierski could have done the same job yesterday at 6 mill less.An exuberant signing imo.

Sibierski could have done the same job yesterday at 6 mill less.

Nah.

Sibierski did alright for us in a couple of games - mostly against pap opposition - and gained something of a cult following. Nothing more though. Smith did his job well on Sunday up front I thought.

The facts are Owen and Viduka will have injuries, Oba will be away for the ACN and Ameobi is shite. We needed someone else who can play up front, and Sunday suggested to me Smith can fill the gap when needed. I'd leave midfield appearances for emergencies though, as suggested in the OP.

A useful player but only a squad player for me.Can't fault his attitude though.

if ,and it's  a big IF,we play 3 up front, then smith is the player to be part of it,outside of that i doubt he'll be a first choice starter.

Aye, same for me. I just don't get what some people are on about. It's a rebuilding job that will take time unfortunately.

I have my moments regarding Allardyce when he messes about with 4-3-3 that I just don't think suits the players. He also pisses me off when he selects Smith in midfield, but we're fundamentally on the right lines.

Yeah, the 4-3-3 drives me a touch up the wall, but I think it comes down to who's on the pitch.  If we've got Barton or Emre as our creative CM's (not so much Barton, but I think he's got it in him, hopefully he thinks so too), and Zoggy where he should be, it could work.  I think Sam just wants everyone to try and buy into that system, no matter who is on the pitch.  Which is what you're alluding to, I believe.  He's just sussing out whats worked in the past with his success at Bolton and I'm sure he'll adapt it to our club in a winning formula. 

It's tricky, because some team selections should be playing a 4-4-2, whilst I think other selections are better in a 4-3-3.  Anyhoo, this is all pretty obvious stuff.

The nucleus is starting to form, January could see a couple additions(not bothered if we don't do much), then we'll get a real idea where we're at by the end of the season and Sam can weave more magic in the summer transfer market. 

People, don't bank too much on January being an killer window full of great signings, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.  I'd rather we concentrated on the team we have playing now, and better football during that time, then who's coming in. 

Sibierski could have done the same job yesterday at 6 mill less.An exuberant signing imo.

:lol:

Yeah, the 4-3-3 drives me a touch up the wall, but I think it comes down to who's on the pitch.  If we've got Barton or Emre as our creative CM's (not so much Barton, but I think he's got it in him, hopefully he thinks so too), and Zoggy where he should be, it could work.  I think Sam just wants everyone to try and buy into that system, no matter who is on the pitch.  Which is what you're alluding to, I believe.  He's just sussing out whats worked in the past with his success at Bolton and I'm sure he'll adapt it to our club in a winning formula. 

It's tricky, because some team selections should be playing a 4-4-2, whilst I think other selections are better in a 4-3-3.  Anyhoo, this is all pretty obvious stuff.

The nucleus is starting to form, January could see a couple additions(not bothered if we don't do much), then we'll get a real idea where we're at by the end of the season and Sam can weave more magic in the summer transfer market. 

People, don't bank too much on January being an killer window full of great signings, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.  I'd rather we concentrated on the team we have playing now, and better football during that time, then who's coming in. 

A right winger to provide competition for Milner is possibly all we need at the moment. We could also buy another fullback to eventually suss out babayaro and carr.

Smith wants to be like Big Al... :D in todays Journal..

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/10/09/striker-hoping-he-can-emulate-shearer-61634-19917722/

Striker hoping he can emulate Shearer

Oct 9 2007 by Paul Gilder, The Journal

ALAN Smith last night identified Alan Shearer as his striking inspiration and admitted that following in the Newcastle legend’s fabled footsteps was a dream come true.

The England international played in United’s attack for the first time during Sunday’s 3-2 win against Everton and, although a player more at home in midfield these days was unable to open his account in a Magpies shirt, it was a role he relished.

Smith partnered Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen in a stirring encounter as Sam Allardyce’s team engineered a result that lifted them back into the Premier League table’s top half. And although both players can be considered to rank among top-flight football’s finest talents, it was the chance to emulate a striker no longer terrorising defences that held the greatest appeal.

“I loved playing up front against Everton,” said Smith, who, having started his career as an out-and-out attacker at Leeds, has been deployed in a withdrawn position at St James’s Park – a role to which he became accustomed during his career at Manchester United. “While I was playing, I kept thinking about Alan Shearer and the fact that he was such a great player in that position for Newcastle and England. I was thinking about him throughout the game, he was driving me on.”

Shearer retired following the 2005-06 season having smashed Jackie Milburn’s long-standing scoring record with his 206 goals in Newcastle colours. Almost 18 months on, the former England captain’s legend endures at St James’s Park. Given that his long-term future appears to lie in the Magpies midfield, Smith cannot be expected to emulate Shearer’s exploits at St James’s Park but a combative player feels he has much to offer in a team that can no longer be considered a pushover.

Smith’s tough tackling has seen him collect five bookings in 10 appearances following his £6m move from Old Trafford, but a player who has attempted to set the tone with his industrious efforts is confident his approach is the correct one.

“We’ve got players at Newcastle who are prepared to fight for everything,” he said. “I had a bash to the head, a scraped hand and I picked up another booking so I will miss the game against Spurs (on October 22), but everyone will run through a brick wall for this side and that makes me believe we’ll be fine this season.”

Although he conceded that Smith has been ‘reckless’ at times this season, Allardyce insisted that the 26-year-old had not deserved his latest booking and should not be suspended for his side’s next game.

“You wonder sometimes whether some people’s reputations get them booked rather than fouls that they might or might not commit,” said the Newcastle boss, who questioned Martin Atkinson’s decision to caution Smith for an innocuous challenge on Joleon Lescott. “He will miss the Tottenham game through suspension, that’s a disappointment.”

Meanwhile, Owen is content to keep playing through the pain barrier for Newcastle and England, having made a remarkable return to action at the weekend. The 27-year-old scored against Everton just eight days after undergoing a stomach operation, and will join up with the Three Lions squad this morning.

Owen is expected to spearhead the England attack in the forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Estonia and Russia and, although Allardyce has understandable concerns about the player’s participation, United’s £16m striker has no fears.

“Everyone knows you can come back from surgery and play,” he said. “It’s just about managing the discomfort. It doesn’t stop you from playing. The surgeon said as long as you can manage the pain, you can do what you want because it’s not going to get any worse.

“The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation and it is much stronger than when I went in. I’ll listen to the surgeon and no one else. She has performed thousands of operations before. I don’t see any risk in me playing. It’s not like I’m pushing myself to get back and play for England.”

Alan Shearer was such a great player for Newcastle and England. He was driving me on

Sibierski is a good example of what's right about Alan Smith up front. While Smith isn't going to get enough goals, his link up play and sheer drive has led to a good few chances, and the football looks good when he's playing as a striker. Sibierski will get the odd goal but his general play is nowhere near the same standard.

:lol:

Gold tbh. I like Smith btw. He doesn't score as much as you'd like but his best position is supporting the main striker like he did on Sunday. If he plays like that, the lack of goals is less of an issue as his overall contribution makes up for it. Bellamy wasn't that prolific either (I know they're different players - Bellamy was a lot quicker and more of a threat running with the ball, Smith is better at holding the ball up and in the air etc.) and I think Smith could provide that same workrate and ability to harry players we've been lacking up front since Bellamy left.

Smith was very good on Sunday, he linked the midfield so well with with the attack, better than i've seen from anyone do for us in a long time. Very clever play, held the ball up well, picked his passes well, brought people into play superbly and very mobile puts himself about alot, brave as you like in the challenge and basically tries his heart out. One critisim is, he needs to shoot himself more, he opted to pass a few times when he probably should have had a go himself. Shame he's suspended against Spurs.

Smith was very good on Sunday, he linked the midfield so well with with the attack, better than i've seen from anyone do for us in a long time. Very clever play, held the ball up well, picked his passes well, brought people into play superbly and very mobile puts himself about alot, brave as you like in the challenge and basically tries his heart out. One critisim is, he needs to shoot himself more, he opted to pass a few times when he probably should have had a go himself. Shame he's suspended against Spurs.

I agree with all of that and would add that he would shoot more if he gets a regular start up front, and his confidence improves.

I'm pleased for him that he has had a chance to silence his critics. As I've said all along, Smith is a very valuable member of Sam's squad and players like him branded as "utility" players rarely get the praise they deserve. I'd rather have him than Dire any day of the week and I'm sure Sam's of the same opinion.

He'll still be of some use to us in midfield at times in my opinion.

Best position is upfront, but when we have someone in midfield like an Emre or Barton to try and create things going forward then Smith's game in midfield will be more worthwhile. Alongside Butt and Geremi, two holding players, there's no real use for him but with someone like Barton in there Smith could be useful.

Barton -- Geremi -- Smith

For away games would do alright if we're insistent on using the 4-3-3.

Would prefer us to stick with 4-4-2 and use him as an option up front, though.

He's a front player, end of really.

Why hameobi has played up front in Vidukas absence, with Smith in the squad, is an absolute mystery to me. Decisions like that would make me lost faith in Allardyce, and I wanted him for the job. Diabolical.

Yeah, just he's handy in an emergency like.

Suppose you could argue that we had nobody else to play in midfield recently, which is why Smith was used there. I'd have tried Milner through the middle myself.

I'm trying to be positive about Milner. He's a good lad with a great attitude, but he lacks pace. So  I say to myself that Beckham also lacked pace, as did Nobby, but was so good at crossing and seeing things quickly they overcame it and became quality players, so I hope that Milner can also do it.

In truth though, I don't think he will be but I hope that I am wrong.

Pretty much how I feel about Milner as well.

What you get from Smith is:

1. Effort

2. Leadership (drives the team)

3. Ability to keep the ball and play the simple pass (which cannot be underestimated, considering some of the shite we have seen)

4. An ability to battle physically and aerially

5. To perform at a decent standard in about 4 positions

6. Relatively injury free

For 6m was he a worth while signing? Probably not but that doesn't mean he can't be an important player for us, especially condsidering Newcastle's injury problems of the past. Sunday showed why Smith is a good player and why Fergy admired him so much. I think i've heard some people call him a poor mans Scott Parker but for me he's a FAR better player than Parker in every area.

We were linked with Smith for a fair while too.

My opinion then was as it is now - if you buy him as an out and out striker, he's a bad move, but if you want instant versatility added to the squad, then he's a good buy.

6m is not a lot of money to buy that versatility.