Shay Given

NSG
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just before I write this, just want to say this isn't my opinion on the matter, i'm just hoying this up because i've seen a lot of debate about it recently.

Has it got to the point where Shay Given needs Newcastle United more than Newcastle United need Shay Given. Yes, he's been our most consistent player for the best part of a decade and has given (no pun intended) us tremendous service over the years, but with Steve Harper in top form, Krul progressing nicely and Jussi expressing an interest has he become less valued than he was before?

Has Shay been the same since the Harewood incident this time last year? Does he deserve to stay in the team based on his previous form?

Discuss.

Guest BooBoo

His own goal was a bit of a freak and its a bit unfair if people will bracket it alongside a "Robinson". However, Given hasnt been the same keeper since he was clattered by Harewood and his dominance of the box continues to be so-so.

Guest icemanblue

In fairness, i think Sam has picked up on Givens lack of authority with the defence.  The whole game yesterday he was screaming at them, not only for corners, free kicks etc. 

I would imagine Sam has asked him to be more vocal, and i think, of anyone in this team, he deserves an opportunity to show he can improve.

Just before I write this, just want to say this isn't my opinion on the matter, i'm just hoying this up because i've seen a lot of debate about it recently.

Has it got to the point where Shay Given needs Newcastle United more than Newcastle United need Shay Given. Yes, he's been our most consistent player for the best part of a decade and has given (no pun intended) us tremendous service over the years, but with Steve Harper in top form, Krul progressing nicely and Jussi expressing an interest has he become less valued than he was before?

Has Shay been the same since the Harewood incident this time last year? Does he deserve to stay in the team based on his previous form?

Discuss.

I get what you are saying, and i think all the points are fairly debatable, i just think give him a run of games and he'd be back on top form in no time, and we'd be looking a bit daft for questioning him.

If this form continues, maybe then those points really need answering, but i'm willing to give him time, he's about to peak for starters, he's been shaky before, ironically last time when Harper was getting into the team, so i just think its either confidence or a poor spell, or maybe both, either way i expect him to pull himself round and some point.

I think he deserves chances, after all he has spent the best part of 10 years relying on a terrible defence. However, maybe this has some part to play in Given's current form? After having Bramble and Boumsong infront of him, he was called into action at least 5 times a game, often pulling off a terrific save. Now, with a decent backline with experienced continental players, Shay does not have too many saves to make - maybe exposing the current weaklink of our defence?. He can still pull off great saves (Elano in the first half against City and many against Arsenal in the cup) and it could be he has to get over the injuries and get used to an improved backline.

I think it's a case of over-reacting when he's good and over-reacting when he's bad. He is and always has been a superb shot-stopper and excellent at coming off his line. His one weakness for me is that he doesn't command  his 6 yard box on high crosses but it doesn't cost us that many goals so it's not a bad trade off in the over all package. Krul looks like he will be the complete package in a couple of years though.

Guest optimistic nit

the mistake that was cleared off the line was much worse than the own goal that everyone seems to be focusing on. still deserves us to repay his faith though.

Given will be out of the door either in January or next summer, possibly to Arsenal, and Jussi will be between the sticks at SJP.

Posted a similar thing on Toontastic. Can see him being allowed to leave.

He's a good keeper but he never seems to give confidence to the defenders infront of him, he's bad at orginazing the defence and usually its them who get the blame, what i noticed about Harper is that despite he's not as good as Given when its comes to goalkeeping but he knows how to organize the defence, and they seem to play with more confidence with him in goal.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Current form is the only criteria a manager should use to pick his team. Otherwise you end up with a pile of shite like Sven's England team with everyone guaranteed a start regardless of form.

Sam himself called their second goal a fluke goal, as for the one that was cleared off the line a lot of refs would have blown for a foul on the keeper, he did jump into Shay.

I think its all being way blown out of proportion though, people are making way to much of it.

Guest optimistic nit

Sam himself called their second goal a fluke goal, as for the one that was cleared off the line a lot of refs would have blown for a foul on the keeper, he did jump into Shay.

I think its all being way blown out of proportion though, people are making way to much of it.

and all those refs would have been wrong.

I thought it was a foul actually.

Guest optimistic nit

I thought it was a foul actually.

he did fuck all wrong. the striker was actually to the site of the ball first iirc, if we give fouls like that the keeper may has well have a 1 foot radius around him that the other players aren't aloud into.

Current form is the only criteria a manager should use to pick his team. Otherwise you end up with a pile of s**** like Sven's England team with everyone guaranteed a start regardless of form.

Shit players go through periods of good form, good players go through periods of form. You would have wanted Sven to pick to likes of Marcus Stewart, James Beattie and Michael Ricketts then?

Guest Deep456

People stfu. Given is the best player(in goal) at the club and will be one of the best keepers in the premiership for a long long time. c***s like most on the forum are getting on his back but at the end of the day YOU people are the ones making him nervous during games and causing him to make mistakes. Leave the guy alone he has saved us time and time again over the last 10 years.

Rooney may have a period of bad form but do you think he will get dropped for Heskey? Don't think so.

given is our best goalkeeper... everybody knows that (at least i think so)!

but he need to get his act together, although i wouldn mind using harper as long as he is doing good!

have we lost a match with harper in goal yet?