Joey Barton on Newcastle/England...

Nicky

"If England comes then so be it."

I wouldn't hold my breath tbh Joey...

I bet they're all sat round the breakfast table now discussing what an utter fucking cunt he is. 1 cap wonder forevermore.

And while some of you might be thinking how great it is that he's made a snidey dig at England's Michael Owen (The I want to win trophies bit is irrelevant chestbeating), I can't help but think its not going to go down well in the dressing room. Probably cut the atmosphere with a knife the next time Owen and Barton meet. Not a good thing...I think you need a solid team spirit. Big Chief Running Gob already on the way to ruining yours.  :crazy2:

I agree actually and if he's got a problem with Owen and his commitment to the club he should tell him face-to-face, rather than in the press as it only adds to the situation the tabloids are already trying their best to inflame.

Guest Knightrider

These comments by Barton don't concern me. We all know he has a low opinion of the average England player so I don't think this is somehow a pop at Owen as he's held this rather dismissive view of England players for some time now, and as such he's basically just rehashing old comments. The reporter on the other hand is clearly trying to spin a story out of it to tie in with the Owen situation. If anything Barton's comments are ill-timed in light of the Owen comments, but the striker's comments are harmless too. The sun is simply shit stirring and so is the reporter who interviewed Barton, or looking for a non story.

You can't really appreciate the relationship until you read the whole interview in context.

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/story/0,19239,6145_2790866,00.html

Well, theres no more in that link than the OP wrt to 'The Owen Link' imo.

Dr Spec's view is biased which is completely reasonable, i still completely respect him as a poster.

The press want a story and one can be formed out of this, the quotes on their own though aren't inflammatory.

I think the club should have an effective press office where all interviews are supervised and approved before release though. All employees of the club should have to adhere to a code whereby they can't give quotes/interviews to the press without the clubs knowledge imo.

Guest bluegeordie

I don't think there's anything in his quotes that is obviously directed at Owen.

"People get carried away about playing for their country.

Sorry mate, but if that isn't directed at Michael Owen, I'm Hilary Clinton.

I know it's a little bit off the topic, but I'd just like to say that I admire what you're doing by calling for the introduction of a universal public healthcare system in the United States. Long overdue imho.

Guest jimmy1982

This story will have no influence on whether they get on well together or our team spirit. They're both professionals, I'm sure with all the fuss that the eejits in the press are trying to stir up about Owen allegedly putting England before us there will be loads of jokes about it everyday at training. Neither Barton or Owen strike me as hyper sensitive types so I hope it'll all be a big joke to them. Barton just seems to be playing to the crowds a bit, letting us hear what we want to hear.

Its hard not to be cynical about the sincerity of footballers, given that a lot of them come across as fairly lacking in the morals department (particualrly Barton, after some of the 'incidents' he's been involved with), but I would love to think he means what he says here. He's done absolutely nowt wrong since he came here, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and am very pleased to see him come out and say pretty much exactly what we all wish all our players would say! Think about how ecstatic we'd all be if Owen had come out with those comments!

Of course his comments could be read in the context of being asked about england and since he has been injured and is no more than a peripheral player for the national team he was just saying that which was obvious.

Speccy would love to think that this is some sort of snide dressing room undermining episode and who could blame him (we all secretly hope that Dyer and Bellamy will ruin the West Ham team spirit)? However, its not, its just newspaper shite.

Soz Speccy and dont be bitter, you've got Elano ffs. ;)

Of course his comments could be read in the context of being asked about england and since he has been injured and is no more than a peripheral player for the national team he was just saying that which was obvious.

Speccy would love to think that this is some sort of snide dressing room undermining episode and who could blame him (we all secretly hope that Dyer and Bellamy will ruin the West Ham team spirit)? However, its not, its just newspaper shite.

Ya..sorry...I just think Joey Barton is a collosal fucking cunt. :angel:

Ya..sorry...I just think Joey Barton is a collosal fucking cunt. :angel:

Cos he smacked some lippy french twat? I've no opinion on that...  :shifty:

Guest Ridzuan

I totally agree what Barton is saying but  I think its much easier said than done.It will be interesting to see what will his decision be if Steve decides to call him one day to play for the country.I hope he stay true to his words.

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

:lol:

In other words...

Up yours Michael Owen

This is why I like Joey Barton. He says exactly what he thinks. Still think he should have the desire to play for England though.

:lol:

In other words...

Up yours Michael Owen

This is why I like Joey Barton. He says exactly what he thinks. Still think he should have the desire to play for England though.

Play well for the club and England will come calling. 

Speccy would love to think that this is some sort of snide dressing room undermining episode and who could blame him (we all secretly hope that Dyer and Bellamy will ruin the West Ham team spirit)? However, its not, its just newspaper s****.

Ya..sorry...I just think Joey Barton is a collosal f****** c***. :angel:

why? this time last season he wouldve been your favourite player and an excellent footballer, now he smacked some wanker tormenting him and wanted to leave city to join us and have a better career? you hate him for that?

Speccy would love to think that this is some sort of snide dressing room undermining episode and who could blame him (we all secretly hope that Dyer and Bellamy will ruin the West Ham team spirit)? However, its not, its just newspaper s****.

Ya..sorry...I just think Joey Barton is a collosal f****** c***. :angel:

why? this time last season he wouldve been your favourite player and an excellent footballer, now he smacked some wanker tormenting him and wanted to leave city to join us and have a better career? you hate him for that?

Do you know why Newcastle paid £5.8m for a player with a £5.5m release clause in his contract?

I do.

I'll leave it at that. No need for me to carry on slagging him off on here.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I can't wait for him to start playing. I think he and Geremi/Emre would be a great centre midfield combination.

I am guessing Joey has absorbed local feelings on the Michael Owen issue & come up with this beauty of a press release to gain flavor.  Not since Andrew Cole quit international football have I seen such rubbish from someone talking about the international career they never had & never will have.

Barton is decent enough player but if he was as good as his gob he wouldnt be playing for us.

I am guessing Joey has absorbed local feelings on the Michael Owen issue & come up with this beauty of a press release to gain flavor.  Not since Andrew Cole quit international football have I seen such rubbish from someone talking about the international career they never had & never will have.

Barton is decent enough player but if he was as good as his gob he wouldnt be playing for us.

Michael Owen is.

Michael Owen is.

He is playing for us for two reasons the first being we gazumped all/other bidders when we signed him & his pal Alan Shearer was here at the time. This summer nobody was prepared to gamble approx £10 million + massive wages on a crock. Does that clear it up for you?

This is why I like Joey Barton. He says exactly what he thinks.

No he doesn't, and that's exactly what's wrong with what he's said. If he was saying exactly what he was thinking, he'd have put Michael Owen's name to it. As it is, he's said something in public that Owen can't reply to, but is going to foster some resentment.

Barton thinks he's clever, but he's a bit immature. If you can't say something constructive, then don't say anything at all.