Joey Barton on Newcastle/England...

Nicky

Joey Barton today revealed he is happy to put his country second in order to help Newcastle United end their long wait for silverware.

The midfielder got 65 minutes under his belt last night and scored in Newcastle Reserves' 3-1 over Wigan at Kingston Park.

And he will take another step nearer to fitness in a behind-closed-doors friendly tomorrow as he looks to be selected in United's next game against Tottenham Hotspur.

But with the Geordie nation still haunted by Michael Owen's knee horror in the 2006 World Cup, the once-capped Barton assured fans that

winning silverware was at the top of his wish list.

He told the Echo today in a candid interview: "England is on the back-burner for me, without a shadow of a doubt.

"I haven't been bought to play for England - I am here to play for Newcastle United.

"People get carried away about playing for their country.

"It is always nice to be selected, and it is always a privilege and an honour.

"But the thing I have to do first and foremost is to do what I have been bought to do, and that is play good football for Newcastle.

"If England comes then so be it, but I have played for them once now and that'll do for me. I am more interested in winning domestic honours.

"This is my bread and butter, and at the minute, hand on heart, I would much rather be successful for Newcastle United than I would for England."

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/nufc/Barton-puts-Newcastle-before-England.3360754.jp

Really fucking good quotes there from Barton.  He's seemed like such a brilliant professional so far since we've signed him.  Highly impressed.  I do wonder how those comments are going to go down with Owen!

Oh the potential Owen-bashing...

I'm not gonna bash Owen at all,  because playing for your country is obviously a big deal,  and I really think he's done absolutely nothing wrong since he's joined.  Its just nice to see Bartons commitment.

Guest musika

There was more than just one "up yours" to Owen in that interview -

When asked about the manager and his medical staff's decision to take him off after 65 minutes in his Reserve game, he said -

"They know a lot better than me how to get to the right level, and they have done very well for me with my injury so far, so it is just a case of trusting them and listening to what they have to say.

-Barton

Owen on the other hand

When quizzed on whether he would be at risk should he figure for England against Estonia on Saturday, Owen moved to reassure Steve McClaren.

No doubts

"Not at all," he told Sky Sports News.

"No doubt the manager from here will say that and maybe the fans will say that but if I had to look after myself, I wouldn't have made myself available for today.

"The surgeon's advice is what I'll look at more than anything else and she said that I can push it as hard as I want - it's stronger now than it was before the operation."

- Owen

He's basically snubbing the Newcastle staff's opinion for - judging by his priority to play for his nation ahead of his club - a matter of convenience.

After all that's gone on with Owen - and we all know about how his International endeavorers have F'ed us over in the past - You'd think he would finally start listening to the people who pay his wages.

I think Barton sees playing for Newcastle United as an honour and Big Sam as a good leader. Owen, on the other hand...well, we all know what he thinks. It's been talked to death.

It's nice to see some of our new players having a lot of respect for the club.

Guest optimistic nit

i think barton wants to make a point (about owen) like he did about the post world cup autobiographies. he's right, again, but it has fuck all to do with playing for the toon being an honour and fuck all to do with big sam imo.

i think barton wants to make a point (about owen) like he did about the post world cup autobiographies. he's right, again, but it has f*** all to do with playing for the toon being an honour and f*** all to do with big sam imo.

What's it got to do with then, mate?

Didn't Barton stir things up in the England camp when he got called up, simply because he was a lot more down to earth?  Especially with Lampard IIRC...

"It's alright, I'm not going to steal your breakfast, you fat prick."

:lol:

Guest bluegeordie

Wor Joey certainly isn't afraid to shoot from the hip ... with the occasional lapses in accuracy that will inevitably result ("That got you in the eye Mickey? Sorry about that lad!" or "Alright Frank, you fat cockney bastard!"). I'll say one thing though, this definitely makes his interviews refreshing, and a lot more interesting than the standard player fare. In fact, I find myself hanging on every word (and there's a hell of a lot of them ...), in part because there's a chance that he'll actually say something both unexpected and insightful, and in part because I'm hoping that he's not about to put his foot so far in his mouth that the surgeons can cut his toenails next time he's having a hernia operation! I find that his interviews are kinda like the verbal equivalent of witnessing an attempted tackle by Alan Smith - that is, you cringe, you wince, but on occasions the end result is sheer joy (mixed with relief)! Alternatively, taking in a Joey interview might be compared with watching someone with Tourette's syndrome playing theatre sports - he's just as likely to say "Fuck the Pope" as he is "the lads just need to focus on one game at a time blah, blah, blah" ... but, either way, you can't help but watch and listen closely! 

All jokes aside though, I must say that overall I've loved what we've seen thus far of Joey's attitude - he seems professional, passionate, committed, and ambitious ... attributes that have obviously been in short supply with many of our players over the years. No, if we can just keep him off death row, then I think we'll find that we've got a real (as opposed to a "proper" ...) player on our hands!     

Guest Melbourne Toon

I agree, I really like what I'm hearing from barton....so what if he is/was a bit of a nutcase, we need some ratbags on our team. And the guy clearly has a lot of passion and isn't afraid to admit he doesn't know everything, I think he has the potential to learn a lot under sam.

And yeah mickey can go shove it, martins may not be as good yet but at least he's not a sick note with little interest in the club.

Really f****** good quotes there from Barton.  He's seemed like such a brilliant professional so far since we've signed him.  Highly impressed.   I do wonder how those comments are going to go down with Owen!

just wait til he beats the shit out of martins while putting out his cigar in givens eye - not such a brilliant professional then :D

Bowyer seemed like a pretty a model professional while he was here - until he smacked Dyer infront of everyone.  >:D

Thing about Joey is he's driven, you could hear it in his voice in the controversial interview he gave with Man City ages ago. If someone else isn't putting as much effort into the team as he is, he gets angry :p. At least that's what I have read anyway.

He's always worn his heart on his sleeve, even so by-product is usually the more conservative supporter demonising him for being too politically incorrect or worse a *'cock' *the brand bestowed upon Bellamy by oh so many.

It's the firebrand character i like. Every team needs one, otherwise the team runs the risk of becoming emotionally stagnant out on the pitch. For all Speed's leadership qualities, and he was the team's unofficial captain imo whereas Shearer was an 'object of worship' hence he was the easy choice for the captain's armband, Bellamy provided the team with an arrogant swagger. That sort of arrogant self-belief is infectious out on the pitch. We missed that in the wake of Bellamy's departure.

Although he isn't as technically gifted as Bellamy, and admittedly they are different style players, i think Barton can reinject that arrogance/swagger back into the outfield.

I really like Barton as a player, but a lot of his public comments make me wince. This is an obvious dig at Owen, which we don't need. Barton seems very quick to criticise others, but he ought to be setting his own house in order.

Guest Bramble OG

il judge barton when hes fit and playing not on what he says in the papers, Owen is a prick but has done far more for the club this season that Barton

"If England comes then so be it."

I wouldn't hold my breath tbh Joey...

I bet they're all sat round the breakfast table now discussing what an utter fucking cunt he is. 1 cap wonder forevermore.

And while some of you might be thinking how great it is that he's made a snidey dig at England's Michael Owen (The I want to win trophies bit is irrelevant chestbeating), I can't help but think its not going to go down well in the dressing room. Probably cut the atmosphere with a knife the next time Owen and Barton meet. Not a good thing...I think you need a solid team spirit. Big Chief Running Gob already on the way to ruining yours.  :crazy2:

Guest johnson293

Have to agree with the above from Dr Spectrum, to a degree.

I think its probably a lot easier to dismiss England when you aren't a regular/important player in the England squad.

Would we be hearing the same from Barton if he was a well established England international?

I don't think there's anything in his quotes that is obviously directed at Owen. It's opinion of his situation not anyone else's. I think the reference to 'people who get carried away playing for their country' is more appropriate to players like Dyer, fringe players who need the kudos rather than Owen.

Anyway, IF Owen is more interested in England than Newcastle he will have alienated himself in the dressing room with or without Bartons comments.

I don't think there's anything in his quotes that is obviously directed at Owen.

"People get carried away about playing for their country.

Sorry mate, but if that isn't directed at Michael Owen, I'm Hilary Clinton.

And this is only the beginning. You already know how it ends. :rocky:  :kasper: