Anelka

McCormick

hahahahaah

when we were linked with him in the Souness era, i remember reading on here how no one wanted him, waste of space etc some people on this board are so predictable.

Nobody? You're wrong there, like.

hahahahaah

when we were linked with him in the Souness era, i remember reading on here how no one wanted him, waste of space etc some people on this board are so predictable.

There are quite a few who could see reasons for having him here.

For the record, i'm not half as against him as i used to be! :razz:

Still think i had good reason for the 'vendetta' last season, though. He was never going to be the right signing last summer. Under Souness, aswell. It would have been Bellamy/Souness again, just multiplied. And under Roeder, well, he would have been immediately fed up with our mediocrity. Plus, we were supposed to be replacing Shearer, and his goalscoring record was pap.

But he was mint at Bolton last season, and he's very experienced and very fast, and he'd probably do well here now.

In saying that, all of his issues still remain and there is the age factor - his pace will start to deteriorate like OML said - and i wouldn't swap him for Owen or Oba.

hahahahaah

There are quite a few who could see reasons for having him here.

When Bellamy was booted (correctly in my opinion) he was the first one I wanted in. Far better (but different) player than Bellamy. Still has baggage (like Bellamy) but worth the hassle (unlike Bellamy) as he is a top class striker (unlike Bellamy).

He seems to have dumped a lot of his baggage now though. Seems to be have a much more professional attitude. It shows in the way he noa plays for the French team.

True. Still not convinced that it isnt just dormant rather than dead though.

Anelka is 28, and would probably cost over £10mill. But hes as fit as a fiddle, and hasnt had a major injury in his career that has affected his physique or game in any way. Hes in the same mould as Larsson for me, a good all round footballer with pace, someone who will last well into their 30s, and even when the pace diminishes, will still remain a good squad forward due to his ability on the ball, intelligence, movement, consistency, etc.

Some strikers peak or remain at the top of their game around the 31 mark, Anelka will be one of these imo based on how his career has panned out thus far and how hes kept his physique and athleticism, which has shown no signs of diminishing - and he wont hit that age for another 3 years yet.

Hed improve the first team considerably and in particular enable Allardyce to play his preferred system, he presents virtually no risk in terms of adapting to the Premiership, and hes shown that he can perform just as well in a poor team as in a good one.

Arguing about his resale value in 4 or 5 years would be a tad pointless and a bit of a mute point - we're not a feeder club who buys talented players and holds them for resale, we purchase expensive players with the hope that they'll be a success, remain here till theyve peaked, with little to no resale value, with the goal being that the team would be improved considerably as a result. For someone of Anelka's calibre, getting 3-4 years out of him whilst hes still at the top of his game would represent good value for money for £10million, whilst getting someone of his calibre who is relatively younger would cost far more than £10million, unless were talking about taking risks/gambles on unproven/unknown players, which if were considering a replacement for Owen or Martins, would be far from ideal - ultimately, wed be spending just as much over the same period with no return other than the one on the pitch, which given our aims is what we want. Ideally, wed go for the younger player who is as good, and get to build a team around the player for the longer term, but thats an ideal - im sure every club would want a high calibre, proven, versatile, talented, pacey, athletic forward who is around 23/24/25. Whether we could attract that or not, and how much of a gamble wed be taking compared to signing someone like Anelka, would be a different issue entirely.

Anelka is 28, and would probably cost over £10mill. But hes as fit as a fiddle, and hasnt had a major injury in his career that has affected his physique or game in any way. Hes in the same mould as Larsson for me, a good all round footballer with pace, someone who will last well into their 30s, and even when the pace diminishes, will still remain a good squad forward due to his ability on the ball, intelligence, movement, consistency, etc.

Some strikers peak or remain at the top of their game around the 31 mark, Anelka will be one of these imo based on how his career has panned out thus far and how hes kept his physique and athleticism, which has shown no signs of diminishing - and he wont hit that age for another 3 years yet.

Hed improve the first team considerably and in particular enable Allardyce to play his preferred system, he presents virtually no risk in terms of adapting to the Premiership, and hes shown that he can perform just as well in a poor team as in a good one.

Arguing about his resale value in 4 or 5 years would be a tad pointless and a bit of a mute point - we're not a feeder club who buys talented players and holds them for resale, we purchase expensive players with the hope that they'll be a success, remain here till theyve peaked, with little to no resale value, with the goal being that the team would be improved considerably as a result. For someone of Anelka's calibre, getting 3-4 years out of him whilst hes still at the top of his game would represent good value for money for £10million, whilst getting someone of his calibre who is relatively younger would cost far more than £10million, unless were talking about taking risks/gambles on unproven/unknown players, which if were considering a replacement for Owen or Martins, would be far from ideal.

Yup.

hahahahaah

Really??

Newcastle are lining up a bid for Nicolas Anelka as boss Glenn Roeder steps up his search for Alan Shearer's replacement. 

Newcastle have been chasing the Fenerbahce striker for some time and former boss Graeme Souness was close to landing the Frenchman last summer before he moved for Michael Owen.

Fenerbahce were reluctant to do a deal last summer but according to reports they are willing to let him go this time around with Newcastle and Bolton both said to be keen.

Reports in Turkey are claiming that Newcastle have made a bid of £9.5million to sign the striker, while Bolton are pushing for a season-long loan deal with a view to a permanent move.

Fenerbahce would prefer to take the cash and get rid of the player on a permanent basis but if Newcastle do not pursue their interest then the striker could be heading to the Reebok Stadium.

Roeder is searching high and low for a new striker and has already been linked with moves for Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen and Tottenham attacker Jermain Defoe.

Sorry if this has been posted, as I always post storys that have been posted tongue.gif

£9.5m?  My ar*se!

No for 9.5 million on loan however would be good because we can send him back when he geys moody which he will.

way too much - plus you never know when he'll snap  :confused:

i wouldn't mind him here - but only if we cant get players like kuyt in. his pace would be great, but his goalscoring record isn't extremely impressive, and the shear fact that he is f***** in the head is something to worry about...

Anything above £7m is a total rip off.

I'd rather have Defoe for £9m, than Anelka.  One has plenty of potential, the other you don't know when he's going to sulk and demand his next move.

He was a Souness target, just some kob journo dragging up old crap. Bolton are the club after him and I think they have offerd £7mill for him.

Personaly I do not want him here anyway.

Anything above 6m is insanity, and we don't need another moody, lackidasical striker thank you.

Hey Rafa how did he perform goal wise with Owen when he was there? I don't really recall it too well tbh.

Want more examples?

elliotman, first of all you said "when we were linked in the souness era" yet that is clearly a remanufactured link from the roeder era.

second, you said "no one wanted him", but even in the thread you linked to, there's posts like:

I'd definately take Anelka.

9.5m is a bit steep and my guess is that it is also off the mark. I'd suggest around 7m would be more accurate.

Good signing if you ask me.

Firstly I think this is very lazy journalism and don't think we are in for him at all.

If we did for for him I would quite like him here but im certainly not sure of the price tag. Still a decent finisher, big, strong and with pace. Would work well with Owen but also someone who would work well without him and could fit into a 4-5-1 formation if needed IMO.

9.5 million euros would be about right (6 million)!

He hasn't done  a lot this season there but I reckon he could forma great partnership with owen and he would be reasonably priced for the quality of player. The only thing that worries me is that Roeder would be going against his own rules if he buys a player that has definate character failures and could prove to have a negative impact on the team spirit etc..etc.

9.5m is a bit steep and my guess is that it is also off the mark. I'd suggest around 7m would be more accurate.

Arguing about his resale value in 4 or 5 years would be a tad pointless and a bit of a mute point - we're not a feeder club who buys talented players and holds them for resale, we purchase expensive players with the hope that they'll be a success, remain here till theyve peaked, with little to no resale value, with the goal being that the team would be improved considerably as a result. For someone of Anelka's calibre, getting 3-4 years out of him whilst hes still at the top of his game would represent good value for money for £10million, whilst getting someone of his calibre who is relatively younger would cost far more than £10million, unless were talking about taking risks/gambles on unproven/unknown players, which if were considering a replacement for Owen or Martins, would be far from ideal - ultimately, wed be spending just as much over the same period with no return other than the one on the pitch, which given our aims is what we want. Ideally, wed go for the younger player who is as good, and get to build a team around the player for the longer term, but thats an ideal - im sure every club would want a high calibre, proven, versatile, talented, pacey, athletic forward who is around 23/24/25. Whether we could attract that or not, and how much of a gamble wed be taking compared to signing someone like Anelka, would be a different issue entirely.

All fair enough points, but much of that is based on the assumption that he can carry on his form into his thirties, something most strikers struggle with. I'm not sure he's ever been the professional that Larsson is, but he seems to have kept his nose clean since he went to Bolton. For the fee it would take to bring him here, some sort of sacrifices would have to be made, be it Owen, Martins, or Viduka. I don't believe we're a big enough club to bring him in for Shola, we have books to balance and players to keep happy.

Right now, I'd have reservations about going in for him, but I could also see a lot of positives. It would all depend on who would be going out the door. I don't believe it is a "no brainer" by any means, he's a superb player but he has had quite a turbulent career and totally flopped at Real Madrid and Fenerbahce where there were high expectations.

elliotman, first of all you said "when we were linked in the souness era" yet that is clearly a remanufactured link from the roeder era.

second, you said "no one wanted him", but even in the thread you linked to, there's posts like:

Firstly I think this is very lazy journalism and don't think we are in for him at all.

If we did for for him I would quite like him here but im certainly not sure of the price tag. Still a decent finisher, big, strong and with pace. Would work well with Owen but also someone who would work well without him and could fit into a 4-5-1 formation if needed IMO.

9.5 million euros would be about right (6 million)!

He hasn't done  a lot this season there but I reckon he could forma great partnership with owen and he would be reasonably priced for the quality of player. The only thing that worries me is that Roeder would be going against his own rules if he buys a player that has definate character failures and could prove to have a negative impact on the team spirit etc..etc.

Fair enough, and i did notice a lot of people saying they would have him. The examples were aimed at "Pie" who said no one said they didnt want him. When i said "no one" quite obviously i didnt mean everyone because that would be ridiculous. My point being, its amazing how a year or two ago people can go from feeling like they did in the examples i mentioned, too people saying he should replace Owen.

Also, regardless of when the article was taken from, it still shos how people change there mind like the wind. 

A lot can happen in one or two years ffs Elliotman. ???

It's not like we're talking one game from the other here. We're talking seasons.

To be fair, in this context not a lot has happened in two years with Anelka. Still the same very good player, still a Moody French Bloke, still scores goals. So why has opinion changed so drastically?

hahahahaah

Really??

Newcastle are lining up a bid for Nicolas Anelka as boss Glenn Roeder steps up his search for Alan Shearer's replacement. 

Newcastle have been chasing the Fenerbahce striker for some time and former boss Graeme Souness was close to landing the Frenchman last summer before he moved for Michael Owen.

Fenerbahce were reluctant to do a deal last summer but according to reports they are willing to let him go this time around with Newcastle and Bolton both said to be keen.

Reports in Turkey are claiming that Newcastle have made a bid of £9.5million to sign the striker, while Bolton are pushing for a season-long loan deal with a view to a permanent move.

Fenerbahce would prefer to take the cash and get rid of the player on a permanent basis but if Newcastle do not pursue their interest then the striker could be heading to the Reebok Stadium.

Roeder is searching high and low for a new striker and has already been linked with moves for Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen and Tottenham attacker Jermain Defoe.

Sorry if this has been posted, as I always post storys that have been posted tongue.gif

£9.5m?  My ar*se!

No for 9.5 million on loan however would be good because we can send him back when he geys moody which he will.

way too much - plus you never know when he'll snap  :confused:

i wouldn't mind him here - but only if we cant get players like kuyt in. his pace would be great, but his goalscoring record isn't extremely impressive, and the shear fact that he is f***** in the head is something to worry about...

Anything above £7m is a total rip off.

I'd rather have Defoe for £9m, than Anelka.  One has plenty of potential, the other you don't know when he's going to sulk and demand his next move.

He was a Souness target, just some kob journo dragging up old crap. Bolton are the club after him and I think they have offerd £7mill for him.

Personaly I do not want him here anyway.

Anything above 6m is insanity, and we don't need another moody, lackidasical striker thank you.

Hey Rafa how did he perform goal wise with Owen when he was there? I don't really recall it too well tbh.

Want more examples?

Pretty sure that is example of people who didn't want him. Equally, there were people who did. I'll qualify the nobody bit for you if you like. 40 quid an hour to you. It might be hard work.

It's not like we're talking one game from the other here. We're talking seasons.

To be fair, in this context not a lot has happened in two years with Anelka. Still the same very good player, still a Moody French Bloke, still scores goals. So why has opinion changed so drastically?

IIRC I was one of those who wanted him a couple of years back, yet I'd have more reservations now. We were more desperate for a striker back then, and Anelka was a couple of years younger. The situation has changed, let's not pretend otherwise. I'd have him at the right price, but it all depends on who would be leaving to make way and how much of our budget the transfer would eat up. I personally think a right winger is a bigger concern in the January window, but I do believe we have to look at Owen's contract situation and thing about next summer. Trying to point at what people thought two years ago, when we had a different team, a different manager and different needs doesn't achieve anything.

IIRC I was one of those who wanted him a couple of years back, yet I'd have more reservations now. We were more desperate for a striker back then, and Anelka was a couple of years younger. The situation has changed, let's not pretend otherwise. I'd have him at the right price, but it all depends on who would be leaving to make way and how much of our budget the transfer would eat up. I personally think a right winger is a bigger concern in the January window, but I do believe we have to look at Owen's contract situation and thing about next summer. Trying to point at what people thought two years ago, when we had a different team, a different manager and different needs doesn't achieve anything.[/b[

It points out lack of foresight. It didn't take much, even then, to see Anelka was a step up on what we had. Even in the Shearer / Bellamy years his ability shouldn't have been sniffed at. He is player we could afford to put with, simply due to ability. Bellamy didn't, nor will have, anything like his abilty. Worth the hassle.

IIRC I was one of those who wanted him a couple of years back, yet I'd have more reservations now. We were more desperate for a striker back then, and Anelka was a couple of years younger. The situation has changed, let's not pretend otherwise. I'd have him at the right price, but it all depends on who would be leaving to make way and how much of our budget the transfer would eat up. I personally think a right winger is a bigger concern in the January window, but I do believe we have to look at Owen's contract situation and thing about next summer. Trying to point at what people thought two years ago, when we had a different team, a different manager and different needs doesn't achieve anything.[/b[

It points out lack of foresight. It didn't take much, even then, to see Anelka was a step up on what we had. Even in the Shearer / Bellamy years his ability shouldn't have been sniffed at. He is player we could afford to put with, simply due to ability. Bellamy didn't, nor will have, anything like his abilty. Worth the hassle.

Going back to messages posted a couple of years ago to point out a "lack of foresight", isn't this just an 'I told you so' attitude? One that still ignores the endless possibilities had we actually signed Anelka, and ignores the fact that our needs then and our needs now are inevitably different. Back then we were desperate for a striker, it was our most pressing need, and I thought Anelka would be worth the hassle myself. Now though the situation has changed and if Martins or Owen were to make way then it wouldn't be such a straight forward decision.