Your first United game? Current champion: jackyboy

NSG

Had a quick look through thread hoping someone would have been at match before me, sadly so far no one has, only HTL and bobyule are close.

First match Grimsby Town at home January 18th 1964 won 4-0. Second match Bury at home April 11th 1964 lost 4-0. Sums up 40 odd years of supporting NUFC really.

Please someone post to say they went to a match before me.

P.S. Thanks to stats on nufc.com so exact date could be found.

you've beat me by a few months mate.

April 8th 1964, won 5-2 at home to Rotherham. Hat trick by Barry Thomas, and goals by Stan Anderson and Ron McGarry.

Same season mate so lets call it a tie.

I can recall that 5-2 scoreline of your first game and going to school really happy next day. Amazing isn't it how they have affected our moods over the years/decades.

Barry Thomas was probably the first hero. Simply being centre forward made him a hero although I remember a couple of great diving headers he scored.

As an 18 year old I actually played with Ron McGarry, who had returned from playing professionally in South Africa.

He'd got a job as a Chronicle van driver at Thomson House when he returned and was turning out for a bit of beer money.

A pro footballers life was a bit different back then.

Against Southampton at home, August 1967. We won 3?0 and Gordon Marshall saved a penalty (which incident is the only thing I can clearly remember from the game).

that makes me laugh

Why?

do you block out sigs or something  :lol:

Yep, and avatars too. And that ain't going to change just because I'm flattered that I've got so deeply under your skin that you've devoted yours to an obviously failed attempt to needle little old moi.

Now, if you really are as old as I am -- old enough to have gone to his first match in the mid-1960s -- why don't you try acting your age instead of always snapping at my heels like some retarded, yappy mongrel?

I don't think that's neccesarily fair. If we're talking pre-Sky or pre-Keegan, well that's now 15 years ago, so there are now many NUFC supporters who were either not born or simply too young to be going to matches back then.

You can't accuse people of being fickle just because they didn't attend matches where they were too young to go or didn't even exist.

Dead true. Anyone younger than 20 will probably not know pre-Keegan. Thats life things move on.

The next generations will hear of the Shearer legend just as my generation were brought up on stories of the Milburn days.

That reminds me (although its not totally related).  Walking back to the car talking to a couple of Everton fans when another came across, "Geordie bastards, ten years ago there was only 15,000 of you bastards coming here" to which I replied "Ten years ago mate we were beating Barcelona in the Champions League"  End of conversation.

Funny how people have no concept of time unless it suits them?

Against Southampton at home, August 1967. We won 3?0 and Gordon Marshall saved a penalty (which incident is the only thing I can clearly remember from the game).

that makes me laugh

Why?

Yep, and avatars too. And that ain't going to change just because I'm flattered that I've got so deeply under your skin that you've devoted yours to an obviously failed attempt to needle little old moi.

Now, if you really are as old as I am -- old enough to have gone to his first match in the mid-1960s -- why don't you try acting your age instead of always snapping at my heels like some retarded, yappy mongrel?

after your colossal boob ie the Stephen Spence business........if you were truly to act your own age you would come clean and admit that you are not such a big supporter as you make out, and people like me would respect you a bit more......same as if you were big enough to admit that you backing Souness was a sad mistake, as is the fact that the team were massively worse off for selling Craig Bellamy.

I'm not really bothered how regular a supporter of the club you are Ozzie, if you saw those games in the 1960's but now live abroad or something and can't make it, thats fair enough. Just be honest and upfront about it. Instead of being such an idiotic WUM so often. Which you know you do,  I suspect.

This is why I found your post amusing.

that makes me laugh

Why?

Ironic.

Guest woffy_27

think it was october in the 88-89 season against west brom in the league cup got beat 1-0 on a miserable wednesday night!

Me dad's first game was MacDonald's home debut!

I think I can beat that - my Mam's first game was the 13-0 Vs Newport in 1946 - one week after my Dad married her :)

The 76 League Cup Final apparently.  My mam was just pregnant with me at the time apparently.  I get the blame for jinxing us that day and every day since.

can't beat benwell but my first was scunthorpe in the 74 cup run,first league game was coventry at the opening of the following season(got lost going to the bogs,lift home off some reporter while me dad scoured the town scared to tcome home).

can i add a follow up to the initial question here....how old were you when you went to your first nufc match ?

September 1978, Newcastle 0 - 0 Leyton Orient. I was 5.

it's possible that game saw one of the best saves i've ever seen live ,a double from kevin carr(bottom corner then top corner,2nd shot from peter marinello) off to toonstats to check.

edit...na. got it totally wrong,hardwick in goal and no marinello.

edit again...the last game of the 80-81 season V orient had carr in goal and margerrsson for them...maybe that was it ?  cracking strip they had mind the white with the red stripe all the way down including the shorts,reversed for away days)

it's possible that game saw one of the best saves i've ever seen live ,a double from kevin carr(bottom corner then top corner,2nd shot from peter marinello) off to toonstats to check.

edit again...the last game of the 80-81 season V orient had carr in goal and margerrsson for them...maybe that was it ?  cracking strip they had mind the white with the red stripe all the way down including the shorts,reversed for away days)

Nae idea, i cant remember last week.

Nae idea, i cant remember last week.

i've always found the distant easier to remember than the recent

i deliberatly put the "always" in there to stop some clever fuck posting that i have alzheimers (which i havent anymore)