SJP ignored for European final - again

NSG

Wembley may host European final 

Wembley Stadium has been shortlisted to host the Champions League final in 2010 or 2011.

The rebuilt venue will be visited by a delegation from European football's governing body Uefa this year.

Berlin's Olympiastadion, the Allianz Arena in Munich and, in Spain, Madrid's Bernabeu and the Mestalla in Valencia are the other stadiums in contention.

Meanwhile, Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and Dublin's rebuilt Lansdowne Road are in contention for the Uefa Cup final.

Arena AufSchalke in Gelsenkirchen, Espanyol's Estadi Montjuic in Barcelona, the Arena Hamburg and the National Stadium in Bucharest are the other stadia being considered for that competition.

"Capacity, infrastructure, facilities and functionality" were listed by Uefa as the criteria under consideration for the stadia, as well as legal documentation, accommodation and airport facilities. There also remains a rotation policy between national associations.

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick said: "We're delighted that Uefa have shortlisted Wembley for both the 2010 and 2011 finals.

"It is recognition of Wembley's place among the very best football stadiums in the world, as well as its unique tradition and history."

The Champions League finals in 2008 and 2009 will be held at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow and the Stadio Olimpico in Rome respectively.

Isn't it something to do with SJP not being a four star ground because of the hotels etc around it?

It has to be something like this because I've been to the Mestalla and there is very little in it between that and St James'. I actually prefer St James' but then I'm biased. Thing is Newcastle is a small city and Valencia is massive, I imagine they don't feel our city has the facilities to accommodate a final in the same way as much bigger cities.

I presume that is the new Mestalla and not the current one as the current one is pretty dated.

Pointless it being on the list, as they have stated before that they won't give it to stadiums that are not yet built.

If you haven't got 4 or 5 star rating then you're not allowed to be picked.

Nothing to do with being ignored. It's like a Bolton fan kicking off that the Champions League final won't be coming to Lancashire.

Nothing to do with being ignored. It's like a Bolton fan kicking off that the Champions League final won't be coming to Lancashire.

Is it?

Is it?

In what way, exactly??

Lack of hotel rooms, lack of meeja facillities are the offical reasons

plus it tends to go to more glamorous locations - and if your team ain't winning in Yurop there is no chance

They can sell (or give to sponsors) another 40,000 tickets at Wembley - if we were in the CL Final I'd know which ground I'd rather it was held - the BIGGEST

on the Fifa list of top stadiums, who can host these finals, im sure the SOS is included, but SJP is missing, which would suggest the ideas of hotel spaces and airports cant be true.

Nonsense, surely. Has Sunderland even got a hotel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Stadia_List

5 Star needs 50k+, so SOS is out straight away. No idea why we aren't 4 or 5 star going by those criteria. Maybe the toilets are too shit.

Also, thinking about this, we're one of the stadia that's going to be used in the Olympics alongside Villa Park, Hampden, Old Trafford and the Millennium Stadium all of which are either 4 or 5 star UEFA rated venues. Which seems odd. Not that I'm particularly arsed.

I lived across the road from the Emirates for a year, and there is no way that the stadium has passed all the necessary criteria listed.

The transport infrastructure around The Holloway Road is a shambles.

The Holloway Road tube station which was earmarked for enlargement as part of the early planning permission stages, still remains a Victorian Helter Skelter death trap which is closed except for exits on ALL match days.

Traffic on the Holloway Road itself grinds to a halt.

Fans leaving the ground are herded into tightly cramped corals either side of the roads out of the area. This, in my opinion is an accident in waiting.

But still, somehow, they make it on the shortlist...

Guest ChickenKiev

Sufficient room around the field of play for advertising boards and at least 18 TV cameras. In addition, there must be enough room between the goals and the first row of spectator seats behind both goals for a minimum of 150 photographers.

We'll never get 5-star!