Spurs appoint Juande Ramos

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

would i be wrong in thinking he's took them from 6th(before he joined) to 5th and 3rd winning two uefa cups....how much was there before him ? for all winning the uefa cup would be lovely will that experience help him in the prem in any way ? have a look at his form pre 2005.

do you consider Mark Hughes a success at Blackburn?

do you consider Boothroyd a success at Watford?

do you consider redknapp a success at Pompey?

yes

juries out

yes.

would you consider them to be good managers had they managed poorly for the previous 12 years more often than not,not seeing out a full year in charge of the club they were in charge of ?

How can the jury be out on Boothroyd when he has already lead a team that were predicted to at the most reack the top half of the table to a promotion and are currently top of the championship?

cos they also got relegated and this season has a long way to go.

is allardyce a success at nufc cos we are doing better then we were before he came ?

Totally different as Boothroyd as achieved a promotion and Allardyce hasnt actually achieved anything YET.

he's also achieved a relegation, have you forgot ?

didn't he get Sevilla promoted back to La Liga? Or wasn't he there at the time? (if anyone here knows)

I'm pretty sure he did well at Valildolid and Malaga. Managed them both in europe i think.

He didn't get Sevilla promoted, they were 6th the season before he took them to 5th.

would i be wrong in thinking he's took them from 6th(before he joined) to 5th and 3rd winning two uefa cups....how much was there before him ? for all winning the uefa cup would be lovely will that experience help him in the prem in any way ? have a look at his form pre 2005.

yes

juries out

yes.

would you consider them to be good managers had they managed poorly for the previous 12 years more often than not,not seeing out a full year in charge of the club they were in charge of ?

How can the jury be out on Boothroyd when he has already lead a team that were predicted to at the most reack the top half of the table to a promotion and are currently top of the championship?

is allardyce a success at nufc cos we are doing better then we were before he came ?

Totally different as Boothroyd as achieved a promotion and Allardyce hasnt actually achieved anything YET.

allardyce got notts county and bolton promoted.

yes

juries out

yes.

just beat me to it mate.KD,build a sewage farm in your throat,and stop talking shite.

Guest kingdawson

yes

juries out

yes.

He's talking about Allardyce at Newcastle. To clarify Allardyce>>>>>>> Boothroyd but you cant knock Boothroyd's acomplishments.

Guest kingdawson

yes

juries out

yes.

just beat me to it mate.KD,build a sewage farm in your throat,and stop talking s****.

Look at previos post before you look like a clown. He's talking about Allardyce's accomplishments AT NEWCASTLE and trying to compare them to Boothroyds at Watford which you cant yet.

yes

juries out

yes.

And how long has Allardyce been at Newcastle? Bit unfair don't you think?

Guest kingdawson

yes

juries out

yes.

I know im an easy target but wasnt it Madras that brought up Allardyce?

yes

juries out

yes.

And is a successful manager in the fact that he made Bolton punch well above their weight for 4 or 5 seasons.Ok no trophies but to get Bolton to where they were when he left is a massive success.

yes

juries out

yes.

I know im an easy target but wasnt it Madras that brought up Allardyce?

Indeed he was, but my comment was aimed towards the "hasn't achieved anything" part of your post (I am aware you put "YET"). Bit harsh as he can't achieve anything of note in the sparce time he has had here  :laugh:

This might be bollocks, but among other intrigue it says that fat Freddie wanted to talk to Jol and was refused permission.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2200773,00.html

Not bollocks.  I was told Jol met Shepherd, apparently agreed the basis of a deal and on the strength of that, FFS asked for formal permission to speak to MJ.  Levy had already got wind of the meeting and refused permission and gave Jol an improved contract to keep him happy.  FFS then moved on with Allardyce.  The only difference between FFS/MJ and Spurs board/JR was that Spurs were stupid enough to hold the meeting in a swish hotel regularly checked out by the paperazzi. 

This might be bollocks, but among other intrigue it says that fat Freddie wanted to talk to Jol and was refused permission.

Not bollocks.  I was told Jol met Shepherd, apparently agreed the basis of a deal and on the strength of that, FFS asked for formal permission to speak to MJ.  Levy had already got wind of the meeting and refused permission and gave Jol an improved contract to keep him happy.  FFS then moved on with Allardyce.  The only difference between FFS/MJ and Spurs board/JR was that Spurs were stupid enough to hold the meeting in a swish hotel regularly checked out by the paperazzi. 

This makes no sense.  Why the f*** would Jol leave Spurs for us?  (at the time)

I don't believe for a second Jol's job was in jeopardy at the time we appointed Allardyce. 

I don't believe for a second Jol's job was in jeopardy at the time we appointed Allardyce. 

was that not why MJ says that levy said no?

was that not why MJ says that levy said no?

I dunno, now I'm confused.  My view is that Freddy wanted Allardyce all along.  He was out of a job, Jol was not.  Where all this other shit comes into play is what is doing my head in.

In Sevilla's first game without Ramos yesterday they dominated Valencia 3-0 at home, Valencia barely created a chance apparently.

Having seen the kind of football Sevilla have been playing for a couple of years now, it's a real shame that Spurs have landed Ramos and not us. It's another opportunity missed IMO, he'd have been a good match for us. Spurs won't solve their problems overnight, but I don't think there's that much wrong with them and in Ramos I think they've found the right man. I hope I'm wrong of course.

yes

juries out

yes.

he's also achieved a relegation, have you forgot ?

TBH, it was mission impossible not to get that side relegated. He's a success though, turning a side in threat of being relegated to league 1 and on the brink of administration, to one in a healthy financial state heading towards the premiership in a mere 2 and a half years, not to mention a spell in the PL and an FA Cup Semi-Final. Not too shabby, tbh. Especially with the dogshite players, bar HH (who he sold) when he arrived. Young was hardly a first team star at that point either.

In Sevilla's first game without Ramos yesterday they dominated Valencia 3-0 at home, Valencia barely created a chance apparently.

Having seen the kind of football Sevilla have been playing for a couple of years now, it's a real shame that Spurs have landed Ramos and not us. It's another opportunity missed IMO, he'd have been a good match for us. Spurs won't solve their problems overnight, but I don't think there's that much wrong with them and in Ramos I think they've found the right man. I hope I'm wrong of course.

For me, the most important person for Spurs isn't Juande Ramos, it's Ledley King. If King doesn't come back fit, strong and healthy, and if he doesn't stay that way, then they are in trouble. If you're weak in defence, then the lack of confidence spreads throughout the team. From what everyone's saying, Ramos believes that attack is the best form of defence, but I don't think that's the medicine that Spurs need right now.

The other reason why I've got doubts about Ramos being the right man is I think there are divisions within the squad. There were players that weren't giving their all, and some that were loyal to Jol. It'll be tough for someone whose English isn't very good to get to know everyone and assert himself. Presumably Poyet has been brought in to help out in that area, but he's not familiar with the players either.

The way the papers are talking, you'd have thought that getting out of the drop zone was a formality, and Ramos's real task is building a Champions League side. Well, if he'd taken over four months ago, that might have been the case, but the situation's different now.

At that time MJ's job was not in jeopardy.  As he was relatively lowly paid, presumably FFS was happy to pay more wages (MJ I believe was on a little over £1m pa).  Permission to speak to Newcastle was refused and MJ got a payrise taking him up to £2m pa.  Ironically, it was that pay hike which prompted 2 board members to question were we getting value for money, was £2m pa a bit rich for someone who, tactically, wasn't one of the Premiership's elite.

For me, the most important person for Spurs isn't Juande Ramos, it's Ledley King. If King doesn't come back fit, strong and healthy, and if he doesn't stay that way, then they are in trouble. If you're weak in defence, then the lack of confidence spreads throughout the team. From what everyone's saying, Ramos believes that attack is the best form of defence, but I don't think that's the medicine that Spurs need right now.

The other reason why I've got doubts about Ramos being the right man is I think there are divisions within the squad. There were players that weren't giving their all, and some that were loyal to Jol. It'll be tough for someone whose English isn't very good to get to know everyone and assert himself. Presumably Poyet has been brought in to help out in that area, but he's not familiar with the players either.

The way the papers are talking, you'd have thought that getting out of the drop zone was a formality, and Ramos's real task is building a Champions League side. Well, if he'd taken over four months ago, that might have been the case, but the situation's different now.

King isn't going to be a regular starter in the future if he doesn't call it a day beforehand.  The best I've heard is play one, sit one out, the worst play one, sit out 3.  Whatever evolves, he'll start less than he misses.  Ramos isn't stupid, he knows things will have to change and quickly.  By all accounts the players had a culture shock at Spurs Lodge today.  Those that played yesterday did 2 light training sessions, the others got a real workout.  They all get the same tomorrow.  Sevilla put a lot of hard work into their style and any Spurs fan will tell you that there is no way the current Spurs squad could play at that level of intensity.  There's been no moans about the change in training, not that it would make any difference.  Comolli is delighted, he wanted the players trained to have high energy levels as well as high technical ability.  Jol put the emphasis the other way round.

Wants to resign Kanoute.. interesting.

A replacement for Berbatov perhaps.  Doubt they'll sell Darren Bent seeing how they'd only get half of what they paid for him.

I think that could only become a possibility if Berbatov was definitely on the way out.  I could envisage Palop, Escude or Poulsen moving before Kanoute tbh.

King isn't going to be a regular starter in the future if he doesn't call it a day beforehand.  The best I've heard is play one, sit one out, the worst play one, sit out 3.  Whatever evolves, he'll start less than he misses.  Ramos isn't stupid, he knows things will have to change and quickly.  By all accounts the players had a culture shock at Spurs Lodge today.  Those that played yesterday did 2 light training sessions, the others got a real workout.  They all get the same tomorrow.  Sevilla put a lot of hard work into their style and any Spurs fan will tell you that there is no way the current Spurs squad could play at that level of intensity.  There's been no moans about the change in training, not that it would make any difference.   Comolli is delighted, he wanted the players trained to have high energy levels as well as high technical ability.   Jol put the emphasis the other way round.

This isn't the greatest time to be working on the players' fitness. And it won't make much difference to the main area of weakness, which is the goalkeeper and centre backs.

If King is as knackered as you're suggesting, maybe he's not the answer after all. You need to hope that there's a good centre back available in January.

And Kanoute? Surely just an idle rumour, when you've already got Berbatov, Keane, Defoe and Bent. Not the answer at all.