Egghead - Move Premiership games to the US

Wullie

Do you honestly think it would be played in an empty stadium? Do you think they'd attract more fans.....who would buy more merchandise and pay to see their new team play either online or via PPV?

Wonder if they could sell the TV rights and have it broadcast...hmmmm.

I doubt any of the major US channels would show it because nobody would be bothered, a bit like the NFL that's in London that 99% of England doesn't care about or even know is happening.

Why do the friendly games attract so many fans?

A Football match between say Man Utd and someone shitty... would sell out in USA in minutes. I'll fight the cause with you!

Just like the NFL game in the UK having over 500,000 people interested in tickets. They could sell that place out twice over with relative ease if they sorted the ticketting fiasco out.

He says 99% of people don't know the NFL thing is going on, but I think you'd do well to prove that statistic mate.

I'm not saying its great for tradition, or that i'd want NUFC going over there, i'm just saying - it WOULD be a massive success and if Man Utd wanna fuck off for 1 game a season then go for it.

There are plenty of passionate fans in the US to easily sellout a game or a few games, and then the teams would continue to make a lot of money as those fans newly exposed to those two teams would now start buying extra stuff and following those teams from abroad. Beckham's first game in New York in the MLS sold out an 85,000 seat stadium in a matter of hours. Think of how many European ex-pats are in the US that would love to see a meaningful game, as well as the 40 million Hispanics in the US that are all soccer crazy and would show up for any real football match. And the thing is, most of the US fans have almost zero loyalty to the MLS teams and would all rather see two foreign teams play on US soil than a foreign team play "their" MLS team. Just because all 300 million people in the US don't care about soccer doesn't mean there aren't a few million football mad residents-easily enough to support a real game in the US.

Now I don't think that they should move a Premiership game either-the season is grueling enough. Fans are easily desperate enough to want to see ANY meaningful game, even if its something like a community shield or even an early round Carling Cup match (cup matches are the best idea, that way teams don't really lose too much of the all important home-away structure in premiership play) or whatever. As long as it wasn't a meaningless friendly where none of the starters played for real, the match would be hyped and sold out extremely fast. And it wouldn't piss off English fans as much either.

Random point: The NFL also has an equal number of home-away games for each team, and with only 8 home games a year, losing one game of home revenue/home-field advantage to play a game in London would be a big blow for the Miami dolphins (if they were any good at all this year). But they were willing to (forced to) make that sacrifice, since every team will eventually make that sacrifice over the next few years. So it's certainly doable for soccer too, but whether they should is an entirely different matter.

Do you honestly think it would be played in an empty stadium? Do you think they'd attract more fans.....who would buy more merchandise and pay to see their new team play either online or via PPV?

Wonder if they could sell the TV rights and have it broadcast...hmmmm.

I doubt any of the major US channels would show it because nobody would be bothered, a bit like the NFL that's in London that 99% of England doesn't care about or even know is happening.

Why do the friendly games attract so many fans?

A Football match between say Man Utd and someone shitty... would sell out in USA in minutes. I'll fight the cause with you!

Just like the NFL game in the UK having over 500,000 people interested in tickets. They could sell that place out twice over with relative ease if they sorted the ticketting fiasco out.

He says 99% of people don't know the NFL thing is going on, but I think you'd do well to prove that statistic mate.

I'm not saying its great for tradition, or that i'd want NUFC going over there, i'm just saying - it WOULD be a massive success and if Man Utd wanna fuck off for 1 game a season then go for it.

My point precisely.  :clap:

"Soccer"??

*shakes head and sighs*

I only used the word "soccer" to differentiate it from the NFL. when talking about the NFL football and English football in the same paragraph it can get confusing without using "soccer." Sorry about that.

"Soccer"??

*shakes head and sighs*

I only used the word "soccer" to differentiate it from the NFL. when talking about the NFL football and English football in the same paragraph it can get confusing without using "soccer." Sorry about that.

No worries, its just everytime i hear an american accent say "soccer" a piece of me dies

"Soccer"??

*shakes head and sighs*

No worries, its just everytime i hear an american accent say "soccer" a piece of me dies

I agree. 100%

"Soccer"??

*shakes head and sighs*

"Soccer"??

*shakes head and sighs*

Does my head in. I just say football for both and hope people get what i'm on about. I don't say soccer, but I may type it.. purely cos I sound like a tit when i say Soccer.

..... then next 50 years american will say that they invent football....

..... or they make bigger goal post so the score can be 50 - 49 (ahh they just love putting in goals so much)

..... and football shirts become colorfull and flourish like WWF costumes

.... ahh yes football must have cheerleaders team also.....

they all do that cause they want to make football capitalism...

..... then next 50 years american will say that they invent football....

..... or the make bigger goal post so the score can be 50 - 49 (ahh they just love putting in goals so much)

First of all they will try to rename it, Oh wait......

Guest rebel_yell12

You hardly need Americans to make the game capitalistic -- you think it's not about making money already?  I'd guarantee it is, for the owners, managers, even the players.  Sure, they enjoy the sport, but it's their jobs as well and that means they want to make money at it.  You'd just need Americans to suck the remaining soul out of the sport, like they have for nearly every one of their "own" sports (baseball perhaps being an exception) by overcommercializing and playing to the lowest-common-denominator in their fans. 

Play a few cup matches in America.  You may be shocked at the level of interest.  The sport is growing over here -- especially among girls who never worry about making money at sports, whereas the lads start at about 14 thinking 'I'm a good athlete, I can make serious money in NFL/NBA/baseball or I can make a pittance in MLS' and then move on to other sport.  Americans love sport in general, and proper football usually sells out (that is, real teams, not the MLS) even a very large NFL stadium. 

Seriously though, start by getting Premiership matches on a channel that Americans don't need digital cable or a satellite to see.  80+channels in America and only Telemundo (Spanish TV) shows matches -- and that's the Mexican league!  Put it on the telly before you ship matches across the pond.  See what the potential interest really is.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

The day we lose a game to the yanks will be the day I rip my season ticket up (or put it through one of them credit card destroyer things, as it would now seem) and leave football for the rest of my life.

Not a cat in hells chance of this happening, at the end of the day.

As for NFL at Wembley, did not have a clue about that. Never been uttered, mind, don't think I've ever heard anyone speak about NFL, ever.

The day we lose a game to the yanks will be the day I rip my season ticket up (or put it through one of them credit card destroyer things, as it would now seem) and leave football for the rest of my life.

1 game?  :lol:

Dear me!

http://bluechampions.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/New_Chelsea_away.JPG

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scoreangels/images/don02.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/world_soccer/07/06/abramovich/p1_abramovich_0706.jpg

And I'm sure that Bolton or Reading or someone have cheerleaders.

To be honest I had no idea there was an NFL game being played over here. I think the vast, vast majority of people don't know anything about it. 99.9% is probably about right!

Guest alijmitchell

The Egg-man can go fuck himself, the yanks having games over there would be the death of the beautiful game. the twunt.

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

The language thing is not an issue for me. It might surprise you that almost every country has its own terminology for the sport.

Regards the topic, a PL match will never, ever happen. UEFA/FIFA will fuck that right off. A Charity Shield match might, though.

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

The language thing is not an issue for me. It might surprise you that almost every country has its own terminology for the sport.

Regards the topic, a PL match will never, ever happen. UEFA/FIFA will fuck that right off. A Charity Shield match might, though.

On what grounds?

Not disagreeing btw, just curious as to how they could stop it.

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

It's worse if you play with/against them, as I have been unfortunate enough to do. I remember one guy saying "dude, go for the one-timer". I guess he was trying to say hit it first time. There were plenty other examples but I can't think of them right now. It does make you cringe hearing them talk about it, I guess they can't help it but I think a lot of them (certainly the ones I met and have lived with) were a lost cause, they've been brought up on sports like Baseball and American Football and the culture of those sports is totally different.