Egghead - Move Premiership games to the US

Wullie

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

It's worse if you play with/against them, as I have been unfortunate enough to do. I remember one guy saying "dude, go for the one-timer". I guess he was trying to say hit it first time. There were plenty other examples but I can't think of them right now. It does make you cringe hearing them talk about it, I guess they can't help it but I think a lot of them (certainly the ones I met and have lived with) were a lost cause, they've been brought up on sports like Baseball and American Football and the culture of those sports is totally different.

:lol:

It makes me cringe so much when I hear Americans talk about football, or "soccer" as they insist on calling it.  And also the terminology they use.  This is why I would be devastated if any English game of football was played over there.

For example, I arrived in New York City on the day of the 2006 World Cup final.  When I got to the room in my hotel, I flicked the TV on to ESPN, to hear them say, "And thats the end of overtime, and it looks as if we're heading for a PK shootout!".  -  For fucks sake, that sentence alone sums up their attitude and ignorance to football in that they must use their own, stupid, unrecognised terminology.

It's worse if you play with/against them, as I have been unfortunate enough to do. I remember one guy saying "dude, go for the one-timer". I guess he was trying to say hit it first time. There were plenty other examples but I can't think of them right now. It does make you cringe hearing them talk about it, I guess they can't help it but I think a lot of them (certainly the ones I met and have lived with) were a lost cause, they've been brought up on sports like Baseball and American Football and the culture of those sports is totally different.

yeah, I went to Mexico, and the English (and Irish) had a match against the Mexicans on the beach.  However the Americans (and a few Canadians) heckled us into letting them play.  As for your "one-timer" example, I had one shout to me to play a "low ball", which I interpreted as a straight-forward, side-footed pass along the ground.  To this day I have no idea what he meant.

The language thing is not an issue for me. It might surprise you that almost every country has its own terminology for the sport.

Regards the topic, a PL match will never, ever happen. UEFA/FIFA will fuck that right off. A Charity Shield match might, though.

On what grounds?

Not disagreeing btw, just curious as to how they could stop it.

FIFA can suspend entire countries from international/continental competition if it views that their league is being run irregularly or with a bias or impose other measures.

yeah, I went to Mexico, and the English (and Irish) had a match against the Mexicans on the beach.  However the Americans (and a few Canadians) heckled us into letting them play.  As for your "one-timer" example, I had one shout to me to play a "low ball", which I interpreted as a straight-forward, side-footed pass along the ground.  To this day I have no idea what he meant.

Sounds like you need to tighten up your game dude, your offense sucks.

Guest NUFCGator

Having a game over here would certainly be bad for the tradition of the league with home/away as important as it is. I'm amazed how much this thread has turned into a pissing match about the shit Americans would do to the game as if there isn't a fucking person here who understands it or likes it. Any game played over here would certainly sell out, just consider the amount of Brits who live over here now and would want to see a match, not even considering everyone else who plays the sport and likes it so whoever's on about that would do well to rethink it. I've watched MLS games where the fans are louder and more enthusiastic and supportive than prem matches so it's certainly not lacking in interest here.

As far as "the death of the game" by having it played over here, you could go to places outside the UK and they'd probably make a claim how the prem has already killed it by turning it into a long ball game so keep it up about how we're going to ruin it and turn it into shit because that's clearly our secret plan.

And complaining about the term "soccer"? It began as a British term for fuck's sake and people all around the world have their own terminology so what's so different when people refer to it as that. Of course there's a bunch of people over here who don't understand the game, I'm sure you could find some Europeans who don't care about sports and wouldn't know any proper football terminology.

It seems to me some people just love bitching about anything relating Americans to football, God forbid we take any sort of interest in the sport because we would certainly "ruin" it. Anyone with this sort of attitude can just fuck off because it's been said enough times by now that we already understand the rest of the world considers Americans as uneducated fools about the sport. I sometimes think these people just keep it up because otherwise they'd have nothing else to bitch about.

No the prem shouldn't have a game over here just like the NFL shouldn't have a game over there because it's bad for the integrity of the leagues. Bring some friendlies over here though so people can see a match with some quality players. Why would you not want to expand a sport you love to other countries so other people can learn to enjoy it too?

Guest TampaToon

what harm exactly do people think closer exposure of Americans to "real" soccer (yes, i said soccer) will do to the game? to me it would appear that the thing folks are so violently against would be the best remedy for what bothers people so much about the American attitude regarding the sport.

the NFL is taking a regular-season game to London (a MUCH bigger financial hit for the team giving up a home game - giving up 65,000+ hometown fans paying WAY over Premiership ticket prices plus concessions and ceding 10% of their home game revenue opportunities) with concensus among owners, and no fear that the sport will return home as some sort of football\rugby hybrid b****** child....instead they're expecting increased understanding and interest in the sport from abroad by letting people experience the game as it is played by players on the highest level (although the dolphins are an awful team missing several of their best players and this game will most likely be a blowout) - maybe they'll tap into a new talent pool over a generation or two and set the groundwork for a global sport, as basketball, baseball, and hockey have all done. maybe after a few good premiership matches more americans will use terminology acceptable you guys and exhibit knowledge of the game. 

americans love competitive pursuits - for god's sake, we watch poker and competitive eating on ESPN! american interest in the Premiership would be an economic positive for the league, the players, and England. the folks who don't care will continue not caring, and those who do will put money in clubs' pockets.  active interest from 5% of the country is 15 million (almost 1/3 of your country) excited fans, attainable without changing a thing about the game.

and on another note, the person who declared that there is no atmosphere in American sports has no idea what he's talking about.  attend an NFL or NHL game in the US and get back to me on that one.

Guest NUFCGator

and on another note, the person who declared that there is no atmosphere in American sports has no idea what he's talking about.  attend an NFL or NHL game in the US and get back to me on that one.

Better than that attend a big time college football game. Come meet me in the Swamp, it'll be the loudest sports event you've ever attended.

Guest TampaToon

americans are sports mad - for god's sake, we watch poker and competitive eating on ESPN!

;D ;D please to god tell me you're joking with that statement...

i edited it after further review - was a serious gaffe!

americans love competitive pursuits - for god's sake, we watch poker and competitive eating on ESPN!

point is, if we're sat down in August or March (pro and collegiate football dominate weekend airspace from September to January, no chance there) watching 8 people stuff their faces with Nathan's hot dogs on the nation's largest Sports network on a Saturday morning, there's an opening for the Premiership in the american market.

Guest NUFCGator

I can't say I watch poker or competitive eating or even think they should be on ESPN and it kills me that poker reruns are on ESPN instead of some sort of football match but it does show Americans love everything competitive and sport-like (I refuse to consider either of those sports).

I think the implication is that if poker and (ugh) competitive eating can become big events, there is very obviously a sporting void in this country the MLS is not yet ready to fill.

Two teams show up over here for a match, and they would print money.

I propose a MIDTABLE MASHUP.

Basically, to compensate for clubs playing less games in a season, while at the same time missing out on European revenue, the teams that finish 8th-17th are entered into a cup tournament with two pools of five.

Let the Americans marvel at the talents of Pattison, Ramage, Babayaro and Ameobi as the first team of Randy Lerner's Villains tactically hold them to a 0-0 after 120 in the Superdupergrandfinalslambowl, before the Super Stripes seal victory as Fraser 'Sylar' Forster puts Olof 'Viking' Mellberg's PK Kick around the frame.

Basically, to compensate for clubs playing less games in a season, while at the same time missing out on European revenue, the teams that finish 8th-17th are entered into a cup tournament with two pools of five.

Let the Americans marvel at the talents of Pattison, Ramage, Babayaro and Ameobi as the first team of Randy Lerner's Villains tactically hold them to a 0-0 after 120 in the Superdupergrandfinalslambowl, before the Super Stripes seal victory as Fraser 'Sylar' Forster puts Olof 'Viking' Mellberg's PK Kick around the frame.

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Don't encourage him.

I think it's a bloody damn good idea, having lived over there for 5 years myself I know there is a geniune passion for the game amongst the hard core american 'soccer' fans. Any meaningful match would be a sell out and generate huge revenues for the league and the teams taking part. The only problem I see is picking which team gives up their home match for it.

I can definitely see this happening.

I don't think it's at all right, and if at any point they decided to take one of our home games to the US, or anywhere other than SJP I would absolutely furious.

I saw a thing on the news the other day about the NFL Match at Wembley, and there are Miami fans furious because they're losing a home game. I've not got much interest in the sport, but I can completely understand their anger.

I have no problems with clubs going off to the US or China or Japan or whatever on pre-season tours. Do that by all means, but to take a competitive league match overseas and rob regular fans of watching their team is nothing short of disgusting.

I can definitely see this happening.

I don't think it's at all right, and if at any point they decided to take one of our home games to the US, or anywhere other than SJP I would absolutely furious.

I saw a thing on the news the other day about the NFL Match at Wembley, and there are Miami fans furious because they're losing a home game. I've not got much interest in the sport, but I can completely understand their anger.

I have no problems with clubs going off to the US or China or Japan or whatever on pre-season tours. Do that by all means, but to take a competitive league match overseas and rob regular fans of watching their team is nothing short of disgusting.

pretty much matches my view

Wish people could see the the bigger picture... :rolleyes:

Losing a home match opposed to raising the global reputation of your club and raising millions of pounds in the process.....

tough one... :rolleyes:

The theory that playing NFL games in Wembley or Premiership games in the Meadowlands will have anything more than a negligible effect on the general popularity of either sport on the other side of the Atlantic just seems faulty. Sure, there is a critical mass of people in the U.S. that will seek out quality football (there's also got to be at least one American football fan in England), and there's no doubt a Premiership game here would sell out. But playing games overseas seems like it would only make economic sense if, over time, a significant number of people that were not already interested in the sport become interested as a result of those games. One or two Premiership games here or NFL games over there are just not going to do that.

Wish people could see the the bigger picture... :rolleyes:

Losing a home match opposed to raising the global reputation of your club and raising millions of pounds in the process.....

tough one... :rolleyes:

If ever an avatar intermingled nicely with a post, this is that instance. :lol: