Crouch

La Parka

Would rather have Kenwyne Jones

I hate to say it but he does look a handful. Could be a purple patch, mind.

he's Drogba-lite. like most i thought he was way overpriced after seeing him play a couple of years ago but he looks like a totally different player now.

Guest scousertommy

He would be perfect for Big Sam's style of play, which is the way we're probably headed, like it or lump it. He will be in the game a lot more than players like Owen are at the moment, and his flick-ons and hold up play will help bring those sorts of players into the game.

I'm not a fan of his or that type of football, but as we're probably going down that route then he could be the answer.

If you signed Crouch it'd be a decent signing, if you signed him to be a target man and to win flick ons then it'll be a waste of £10-12m. It's been said before, but for a man of his height he is amazingly bad in the air - seriously, you'd be surprised at the sheer number of fouls he gives away for climbing. Owen is actually a better header of the ball.

If, however, you played the ball along the ground then he would be a good signing - throw in an extra £6m and you can have Riises hoofs up the pitch as well.

He does give away an incredible number of fouls I agree, and I've never liked him as a player, he's always come across as quite arrogant despite his lack of skill. I know he has a "good touch for a big lad" and all that, but having him on the pitch does encourage longer balls. I noticed in Liverpool that a lot of fans call for him to be brought on when they're chasing a game or trying to nick a winner late on, and that's because he does bring a different dimension to any game and will always put himself about and ruffle a few feathers. But not many people would want him starting week in, week out. He's just not good enough on a consistent basis.

At times he can look good in the Liverpool side, where he starts now and again and comes off the bench, but if he came here he would be under more pressure, he'd be expected to start every week and would be expected to score or create goals on a regular basis. The Liverpool team has more quality, the service to the forwards is better and the midfielders also chip in with goals, but up here the spotlight would be on him more because he'd be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Having thought about it, I'm not sure it'd be a good move for him or for us. It'd be a gamble, the problem is that there are not many alternatives if you are looking for that type of player with Premiership experience.

For him, that'd be a big draw - down here the talk is that it's gone to his head - the model girlfriend(wonder what she sees in millionaire Crouch :shifty:),the England caps and that stupid f****** dance and that's why Rafa has turned on him completely.

He's a good player, but nothing more than that.

p.s. the offers still there about Riise if you want it.. :laugh:

Kenwyne Jones is shite, give it a season, once people actually realise how to play against him, he'll be ineffective, that said he is a greatly improved player from the absolute donkey he was a couple of seasons ago. Serious attitude problems too, threw a hissy fit at Southampton when they didn't want to let him go to the mighty club that is.... Derby or Sunderland, ffs.

Kenwyne Jones is s****, give it a season, once people actually realise how to play against him, he'll be ineffective, that said he is a greatly improved player from the absolute donkey he was a couple of seasons ago. Serious attitude problems too, threw a hissy fit at Southampton when they didn't want to let him go to the mighty club that is.... Derby or Sunderland, ffs.

i dont like to admit this but jones is top class from what ive saw, shearer was always a hand full, viduka is a handful, drogba is a handful so this means jones will be a handful

'replacing' Viduka with Crouch would be similar to 'replacing' Big Sam with Roeder.

Only if we are aiming to just miss out on 10th spot please.

Kenwyne Jones is s****, give it a season, once people actually realise how to play against him, he'll be ineffective, that said he is a greatly improved player from the absolute donkey he was a couple of seasons ago. Serious attitude problems too, threw a hissy fit at Southampton when they didn't want to let him go to the mighty club that is.... Derby or Sunderland, ffs.

i dont like to admit this but jones is top class from what ive saw, shearer was always a hand full, viduka is a handful, drogba is a handful so this means jones will be a handful

Don't get the logic there. He looks a handful though.

'replacing' Viduka with Crouch would be similar to 'replacing' Big Sam with Roeder.

Aye, because Crouch is shit, his hold up play is terrible and I can't think of a worse player for fat Sam's long balls up to the targetman.

Aye, because Crouch is shit, his hold up play is terrible and I can't think of a worse player for fat Sam's long balls up to the targetman.

tho as the liverpool fan points out, crouch is suprisingly bad in the air - gets pulled to the floor and can't direct headers for shit, people just think he must be excellent cos he is so tall, not to mention his lack of strength or pace. imo he's actually better with the ball on the floor and playing as link man in a 4-4-2, bit like Viduka.

tho as the liverpool fan points out, crouch is suprisingly bad in the air - gets pulled to the floor and can't direct headers for shit, people just think he must be excellent cos he is so tall, not to mention his lack of strength or pace. imo he's actually better with the ball on the floor and playing as link man in a 4-4-2, bit like Viduka.

He won't need to direct headers as such, Davies at Bolton was mainly used to win flick ons for the likes of Anelka and Diouf to run on to, that part of Crouch's game is excellent it's just he struggles to get any sort of power into a header when heading for goal.

He's doesn't lack strength either, his hold up play is surprisingly strong.

Aye, just that Viduka pisses on him in every respect with the ball at his feet.

If the tactics are going to continue the way they currently are (ie long balls from full backs up to the forwards and only using the midfield as a second set of defenders) then Crouch would not be a bad signing at a low price. I would however much rather Sam got his act together and told the players to look for a pass first and then only when playing poorly/chasing games resorting to long balls. At the moment it seems as though he has no faith in the teams ability to play any kind of decent football.

Not really fussed if we signed Crouch or not, i suppose he is a good player who is awkward to play against and would improve our squad. However as others have mentioned it may well encourage us to play the wrong type of football: just hoofing it Crouch bound almost everytime would not be effective at all and hideous to watch when it goes wrong.  In Jan or more probably at the end of the season i would like us to try and sign Berbatov and/or Dean Ashton and Edmilson. Team then:

Given/Harper

Geremi/Beye  Cacapa/Taylor  Faye/Roze  Enrique/Zoggy

Milner/Martins  Edmilson/Barton  Emre/Butt  Duff/Zoggy

Owen/Martins  Berbatov/Smith

I've stuck up for shola in the past but its just not happening for him here, loan him out with a recall clause see if he can do it somewhere ese..

Viduka i know alot rate, but i do not and think we need a big man striker who is ALOT more mobile i.e.  Ashton or Berbatov ideally, Crouch if not.

Butt is very up and down performance wise, i like to see Geremi, Faye, Barton and Roze given a shot at his role. Emre when fit and on form to compete with barton for the more attacking role. If neither ae up for it we need to splash some more cash.

If the tactics are going to continue the way they currently are (ie long balls from full backs up to the forwards and only using the midfield as a second set of defenders) then Crouch would not be a bad signing at a low price. I would however much rather Sam got his act together and told the players to look for a pass first and then only when playing poorly/chasing games resorting to long balls. At the moment it seems as though he has no faith in the teams ability to play any kind of decent football.

Have to agree with all of that (away from home) and im gutted about it, as if we had attacked Derby and Reading from the off i'm sure we would have got something from these games + as a bonus its a whole lot better to watch. FFS you don't go to Derby and Reading (worst defences in the league) to shut up shop and and praying for a point. Very unpositive defeatist attitude, i hope one of his many highly paid backroom staff point this out to him.

Why would Berbatov come here?

Not saying we could 100% get him just that we should 100% try to get him.

Some reasons why he may consider us.

!. Spurs are shit and he's clearly not happy there.

2. He's refusing to sign a new contract with them.

3. His current contract has only one year left at then end of this season. So spurs may be forced to sell (possibly cheaply)

4. Because he supported us since he was a boy, with Shearer his idol (so we'll bring him in for the talks).

5. Because he has more chance of playing regularly for us than at say at Man u who may or may not want him anyway.

I'd also like Ashton but i think he's  only fairly recently signed a new contract,  it'll cost us a fortune to buy him, plus West Ham don't seem to need the money.

!. Spurs are shit and he's clearly not happy there.

3. His current contract has only one year left at then end of this season. So spurs may be forced to sell (possibly cheaply)

4. Because he supported us since he was a boy, with Shearer his idol (so we'll bring him in for the talks).

5. Because he has more chance of playing regularly for us than at say at Man u who may or may not want him anyway.

I'd also like Ashton but i think he's  only fairly recently signed a new contract,  it'll cost us a fortune to buy him, plus West Ham don't seem to need the money.

I see where you're getting at but here are 2 reasons he won't

1) Its a sidestep

2) Bigger clubs than ours will undoubtedly be interested

When he played for us, we bombarded him with high balls. assuming that was the best thing to do with such a tall player.

He did ok but not as good as he did at Southampton, where they played it to his feet every now and then. He's a good finisher, Crouch.

!. Spurs are s*** and he's clearly not happy there.

I see where you're getting at but here are 2 reasons he won't

1) Its a sidestep

2) Bigger clubs than ours will undoubtedly be interested

Pro's and Con's really. My 5 to your 2 though!!  :razz: (only kidding)

Seriously maybe your right, maybe your wrong, time may tell us, neither of us know whats going on in his head. Stranger things have happened eg Owen coming here (well at the time anyway) etc etc.

If only Big sam can get his act together and pick a decent side for away games we'd score more points and look an altogether much more atractive option if we were 4-6 points higher up the table. Starting to get pissed off with this shitty idea of defending and aiming for a draw at places like bloody Reading.