A CB in CM alongside Barton

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should Sam not be picking his team depending on who we are playing and not on wether or not we are at home or away ?

Most seem to like this idea though...

Home

Milner--Barton--Emre--Zoggy

away

Milner--Barton--Roze--Zoggy

or should it be his best 11 no matter home or away or who we are playing?

Should Sam not be picking his team depending on who we are playing and not on wether or not we are at home or away ?

Home

away

Its should be the latter.

I could see what Sam was trying to do yesterday. Keep it on the ground, reduce crosses in the box as Dangleberry and the other Mammoth CB would dominate Owen/Oba in the air, get the ball to feet and in the channels hitting them on the break. 

IT just didn't work as he planned.

For me Barton is a box to box type CM, sort of a Bowyer, he will get stuck in, can boil over but will get into the box and score goals.

He also does have a very decent long range shot on him to but he is not an out and out DM and I reckon a DM is what we need.

For me Barton is a box to box type CM, sort of a Bowyer, he will get stuck in, can boil over but will get into the box and score goals.

He also does have a very decent long range shot on him to but he is not an out and out DM and I reckon a DM is what we need.

O0

Home

away

YES!!! THIS!! i dont see why we need to change it, just go along and kill the opposition, regardless of who and where they are!!

To be honest, and im basing this on absolutely nothing i dont think Barton and Emre are gonna work. They remind me of Parker and Emre. I cant see any other way arond it, maybe in a 3 man midfiled along with Geremi or Butt but not as a partnership.

I also notice that when Butt doesnt play well, the team doesnt play well, it'd be interesting to see if we can get a young consistent DM in Jan.

Guest WashyGeordie

Why can't we just play our 11 f****** best players and try to beat teams, instead of changing our tactics every time we go away, especially to w*** oppo.

People complained when we didnt have a tactical genuis.. (Souness/Roeder)

And now we've got one, people now complain that we dont need one...

It depends on the opposition. If it's Man U or Arsenal, fair enough try and stifle them with a defensive line up as they'll probably out-gun us in a shoot out. If we are playing palpable dross like Derby, Reading or Scumderland then just play our best attacking players and watch them cack their pants.

I recall Lee Clark was used in the holding role for Keegan during our promotion season, because despite Keegan not being a tactical genius, he realise shit teams rarely did much with the ball when they had it. The reverse side of this is, good teams generally cause far more damage so in a shoot out with Derby's, Readings, Sunderland etc, we should adopt the Man U/Arsenal approach and go for the throat rather than play them at their own game.

Guest toonfan
this thread seems to be along the lines of those from yonks back suggesting putting shearer at centre half.

btw i think Shearer would of made a great centerhalf

:lol:  i'd forgot all about the shearer at CB idea. we must've been desperate, maybe for finding shearer a role more than getting a decent centre-half in. i was probably receptive to the idea back then but now it sounds bonkers.