Toon trail French Striker

NSG

Sunday Sun - Newcastle trail French striker Jimmy Briand

Oct 28 2007

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are on the trail of young French striker Jimmy Briand.

United scouts have watched the 22-year-old Rennes starlet on several occasions this season, with a view to a possible move.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce tracked Briand, who combines physical presence with impressive pace, while in charge at Bolton last season.

And Newcastle could launch a bid for the France international in January, regardless of the future of Michael Owen or Obafemi Martins.

With Martins on African Nations Cup duty in the New Year, Mark Viduka’s fitness a concern and Shola Ameobi struggling to impress Allardyce, Briand is potentially a worthwhile addition to United’s striking options.

He recently signed a new contract with Rennes and leads their scoring charts this season with three goals, having emerged in 2006/07 in partnership with the now Portsmouth striker, John Utaka.

Sunday Sun - Newcastle trail French striker Jimmy Briand

Oct 28 2007

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are on the trail of young French striker Jimmy Briand.

United scouts have watched the 22-year-old Rennes starlet on several occasions this season, with a view to a possible move.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce tracked Briand, who combines physical presence with impressive pace, while in charge at Bolton last season.

And Newcastle could launch a bid for the France international in January, regardless of the future of Michael Owen or Obafemi Martins.

With Martins on African Nations Cup duty in the New Year, Mark Viduka?s fitness a concern and Shola Ameobi struggling to impress Allardyce, Briand is potentially a worthwhile addition to United?s striking options.

He recently signed a new contract with Rennes and leads their scoring charts this season with three goals, having emerged in 2006/07 in partnership with the now Portsmouth striker, John Utaka.

Very good player and still developing. Like a lot.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

He certainly wouldn't be cheap.

Exactly what i wanted to say, he's very highly rated and i don't expect Rennes to sell him for anything less than 5m.

Doubt we can afford 5million in our state :lol:

Guest WashyGeordie

Never seen him or heard of him.

But from the replies, he sounds like he'll be a good player.

Height AND pace!!..  :smitten:

Exactly what i wanted to say, he's very highly rated and i don't expect Rennes to sell him for anything less than 5m.

Would be more than that, Pompey were in for him in the summer but were put off by an asking price of £7Million.

Would be more than that, Pompey were in for him in the summer but were put off by an asking price of £7Million.

asking price has nothing to do with the real price........you know that

I wouldn't blink at £10m. My French mate tells me he is destined to become a fixture in the full French side.

He's on Wengers list.

I wouldn't blink at £10m. My French mate tells me he is destined to become a fixture in the full French side.

He's on Wengers list.

Already been in the squad a few times, hasn't he?

He's on Wengers list.

Already been in the squad a few times, hasn't he?

Aha.  bluerazz.gif

Guest Stephen927

Was a mint player on my FM 07 game when I was manager of Rennes  :celb:

Got to say, I haven't seen too much of him in real life, all I know is that he's highly rated in France.