Pick your Great Britain side

Dave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067642.stm

Backing for GB 2012 football team

The British Olympic Association (BOA) is pressing ahead with plans to enter British men's and women's football teams at the 2012 Olympic Games.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has written to the BOA confirming that the host qualifying rule will apply to all team sports in London.

"We will field a team," BOA chief Simon Clegg told BBC One's Inside Sport.

"And the comfort and commitment that we've now got from the IOC just reinforces that aspiration."

The BOA's confident stance comes despite opposition from the Scottish (SFA), Welsh (FAW) and Northern Ireland Football Associations.

They fear that involvement with a British Olympic team could threaten their separate status with the European and world football governing bodies, despite Fifa's assurances to the contrary.

Gordon Smith, chief executive of the SFA, reiterated his organisation's opposition to a Great Britain team.

"All the players who are registered under the association or are Scottish international players would be prohibited from playing," said Smith.

"Some individuals may want to get involved, but I don't see it as an issue."

But Clegg said the situation would be unfair on any Scottish or Welsh players forced to miss out.

Clegg said: "I would be greatly disappointed if some of our most talented football players were deprived the opportunity of competing as part of a GB team because of politics or administrators and them being unable to act in the best interests of their athletes."

Inside Sport reporter Matthew Pinsent, who spoke to Clegg and Smith, said: "In the wake of the decision in Singapore in 2005 the BOA started discussions with the Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to find a way to put together a truly British team in both men's and women's competition for the Olympics.

"Whilst the English and the Northern Irish have been supportive, the FA of Wales and the Scottish FA have never even attended the meetings."

However, it now appears that Northern Ireland support for the initiative has waned.

Under Jim Boyce's presidency, the Irish Football Association had been careful not to rule out Northern Ireland involvement in the Great Britain team but current IFA president Raymond Kennedy told BBC Sport on Monday that he would be supporting the SFA and WFA's stance.

"We would not want to compromise our national identity," said the IFA president.

Assuming the wankers at the SFA and FAW get on board (:razz:), and all players from England, Scotland, Wales and Norn Iron are available, who makes the starting eleven?

It's 5 years down the line, that's a lot of maths.

Players I'd expect to be involved: Bale, Richards, Walcott, Vaughan?, Some other youngsters we don't know yet, Gerrard and Rooney.

You're just trying to spoil the fun. :lol:

If we did it right now, this second then?!

i was gonna do the team, but i dont know peoples ages and feel the team will be shitter than i'd hope...

let me see (guessing ages - havent put any over 23s (knowingly))...

Rooney Ashton

Bentley Gardner Huddlestone Lennon

Bale M.Richards Taylor Onuoha

Gordon

Noteable Benchies

Downing

Walcott

Carson

Bent

fuck. We're screwed.

If it were to be held today:

-----------------------------------Foster----------------------------------------

--Hutton------M. Richards---------------------J.Evans-------------Bale---

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bentley----------S. Davis-------------------M.Johnson------------D.Fletcher--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------Walcott----------------------Rooney

Realistic side, i.e there's not just a load of English players and a token Northern Irishman, Scotsman and Welshman.

-----------------------------------Foster----------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Realistic side, i.e there's not just a load of English players and a token Northern Irishman, Scotsman and Welshman.

If it was held today then wouldn't Foster be injured?

Still better than the rest, imo.  :weep:

Still better than the rest, imo.  :weep:

he's 24 aint he?

Guest rebel_yell12

If it's five years down the line, picking any of the biggest names now (other than maybe Rooney) seems pointless as they will be aging out of international competitions and probably won't be likely to leave their clubs early matches for the August Olympics.  Gerrard (who has had a shout on here) will be 32 in Aug 2012.  Craig Bellamy (again, had a shout or two) will be 33.  Rooney will be nearly 27, so at least feasible.  But the eldest who would be generally eligible (23 year olds) are currently only 17/18, so it's hard to tell.  Maybe Walcott? 

If it's five years down the line, picking any of the biggest names now (other than maybe Rooney) seems pointless as they will be aging out of international competitions and probably won't be likely to leave their clubs early matches for the August Olympics.  Gerrard (who has had a shout on here) will be 32 in Aug 2012.  Craig Bellamy (again, had a shout or two) will be 33.  Rooney will be nearly 27, so at least feasible.  But the eldest who would be generally eligible (23 year olds) are currently only 17/18, so it's hard to tell.  Maybe Walcott? 

No chance that players like Rooney would play as it would clash with the start of the Premiership season.