Not sure why people are in shock. (We must stick with SA).

Parky

Smith has not been the greatest signing but is already better value than Boumsoung and Luque.

Boumsong put in better performances for Newcastle than Smith has done so far.

People were raving about him on here for his performances from January to May.

I have pretty much given up any expectations this season. As far as I'm concerned Allardyce only knows one way to play and until he's got the players in who will fit that style we can pretty much write off this campaign as a re-building exercise. Not that I think it's excusable because we clearly have good enough players to be beating s**** like Derby, Reading and boro.

I don't doubt Allardyce is capable of turning us into another Bolton but the suspicions that he couldn't go any higher are starting to look well founded, IMO at least. I don't think we even competed with Pompey yesterday and that was at home. It will be intersting to see if there is any sign of cohesion or improvement over the course of the season, because I haven't seen much so far.

Good post.

The fears when he arrived were that he only knows how to play one way and the type of players he has signed and the type of football we're trying to play suggests this is true. He can only play the Bolton way and that's what he has in store for us. If we give him time he will set us up the same way and will do reasonably well, but it'll take a couple more transfer windows at least to achieve a total squad overhaul. I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with that, as someone (think it was Shak) said yesterday his style of football leaves very little room for error. The wheels were coming off at Bolton before he left, his run of results after christmas last season were as bad as Roeder's and their form plummeted. Until the time comes (if it does) that he has an entire squad he can call his own then he must find a system that gets the best out of players like Michael Owen and if he's incapable of doing that he will walk. He knew what he was getting himself into when he took the job on.

When people talk about how well we are doing compared to last season, I think they are missing the point. Allardyce did a marvelous job at Bolton over a sustained period of time and no one should forget that. I think what we all hoped was that given a bigger club with better resources he could go even further. Creating another Bolton will only get you so far at the top level. Man U's, Arsenals and Chelseas operate on another level and there is no way we will be able to swim with the big fishes unless Allardyce is capable of operating beyond his Bolton blueprint. Given how he's used his squad so far that looks more and more unlikely each day although I hope he proves me wrong.

Smith has not been the greatest signing but is already better value than Boumsoung and Luque.

Boumsong put in better performances for Newcastle than Smith has done so far.

People were raving about him on here for his performances from January to May.

Boumsong was good until that Man Utd match.

Those memories of him marking Henry out of the game at Highbury. :smitten: :lol:

In all honesty, i prefer Roz over Cacapa.

Rozenhal ability on the ball is top class for a centre back he doesn't read the game as well as Cacapa though, I've also found him to go into challenges half hearted.

Looking back with hindsight I'd have started him over Cacapa yesterday because of his pace, I still think Cacapa is the better of the two and we really need to select the pair that is suitable for the opposition we're playing.

I'd prefer to see Rozenhal in midfield instead of Butt fwiw.

I'd rather we didn't have to play either of them as the DM.

Well unfortunately the transfer window has closed so we haven't got much choice at the present time.

Who would you like to see us sign to play there?

I wouldn't go for Gilberto or Edmilson.

I'd buy this fella, I realise it won't be a popular choice on here.

Hedwiges Maduro.

Has everything we need for a DM. Engine, passing and tackling and can fill in at RB or CD if needed. 12 caps for Holland.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11913_2377260,00.html

I'd also grab this fella...

Jean MAKOUN

29/05/1983

1m72, 65kg

Cameroon

Defensive Midfielder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Makoun

Rozenhal ability on the ball is top class for a centre back he doesn't read the game as well as Cacapa though, I've also found him to go into challenges half hearted.

Looking back with hindsight I'd have started him over Cacapa yesterday because of his pace, I still think Cacapa is the better of the two and we really need to select the pair that is suitable for the opposition we're playing.

Well unfortunately the transfer window has closed so we haven't got much choice at the present time.

Hedwiges Maduro.

Has everything we need for a DM. Engine, passing and tackling and can fill in at RB or CD if needed. 12 caps for Holland.

Jean MAKOUN

29/05/1983

1m72, 65kg

Cameroon

Defensive Midfielder

Hedwig?

RIP

Hedwiges Maduro.

Jean MAKOUN

29/05/1983

1m72, 65kg

Cameroon

Defensive Midfielder

Hedwig?

RIP

Has he passed away?  :lol:

whatsmatter Baggio, you having a sulk because you're one of the few people who still think Dyer is worthwhile and the club sold him on ?

I'm not sulking. I'm glad to see the back of Dyer, I would rather have Smith anyday, and I stick by it, but I look at away games performances as well as home games.

I'd start a fit Dyer before the Smith we're seeing, he's done nothing.

Hedwiges Maduro.

Jean MAKOUN

29/05/1983

1m72, 65kg

Cameroon

Defensive Midfielder

Hedwig?

RIP

I'd rather see Hedwig flying down the wing than Milner tbh.

look on the sky sports newcastle page, theres a good discussion (http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_2849254,00.html)

they are comparing us to everton who managed themselves effectively and are now doing really well. they finished 15th a few seasons ago, lok now. i think sam is the right man but needs time. good luck to him i say, im sticking with my initial prediction of 8th this season, however as long as we finish above 11th ill be happy.

Hedwiges Maduro.

Jean MAKOUN

29/05/1983

1m72, 65kg

Cameroon

Defensive Midfielder

Hedwig?

RIP

He's played a fair few positions. I'd like him as a DM as he can not only read the game (Ajax academy) and tackle but has the ability to spread play. Light years ahead of Butt or Geremeeee. Shouldn't be wildly expensive either another reason I'd go for him than the more famous and hence expensive names. Man U looked at Makoun for quite some time and Fergy apparently offerred £5m and was turned down. Good player, again is relatively under the radar and buyable.

Hedwiges Maduro.

Jean MAKOUN

29/05/1983

1m72, 65kg

Cameroon

Defensive Midfielder

Hedwig?

RIP

He's played a fair few positions. I'd like him as a DM as he can not only read the game (Ajax academy) and tackle but has the ability to spread play. Light years ahead of Butt or Geremeeee. Shouldn't be wildly expensive either another reason I'd go for him than the more famous and hence expensive names. Man U looked at Makoun for quite some time and Fergy apparently offerred £5m and was turned down. Good player, again is relatively under the radar and buyable.

Hedwig = Harry Potters owl = flying down the wing. :blush:

I haven't read all of this thread, and maybe this post is in the wrong place (although tbh, there are about 10 threads it could go in at the moment), it is just a general comment about some of the talk about SA.

Get shot after, what, 11 games? I genuinely mean this is the nicest way, but some of you are absolutely frigging bonkers.

17 points from 11 games is hardly dreadful. At that rate, you'd have 59 at the end of the season. 60 points was enough to get Tottenham 5th last year, so that'd put you between them and Everton, in 6th. Would sixth not be a bad return from his first season?

I remember in 1989-90 we played Man United over Christmas and tonked them 3 nil. They were absolutely shit. They'd been shit all season so far. Fergie had bought some shit players, they weren't delivering, and his job was in the balance. That day, the entire Holte End was singing "sacked in the morning" and "Fergie on the dole". The papers the next day were full of stories about how United were going to sack him. They didn't though, and look how that turned out.

I know that the fact it worked out there doesn't guarantee the same will happen for you, but the general point is valid. We're (and I'm including many of our lot here, too, we're just as bad) losing our minds if we think there's a quick fix, instant return route to competing for clubs which have been fucked to the core like Newcastle and Villa.

You've got the best appointment you've made in years now. He's going to fuck things up from time to time, he's going to baffle you, you're going to get shit results like yesterday and Derby, but he's your best bet to fix things.

Give him a chance, FFS. Getting shot now, or soon, would just be repeating the worst mistakes you've made in the past.

I haven't read all of this thread, and maybe this post is in the wrong place (although tbh, there are about 10 threads it could go in at the moment), it is just a general comment about some of the talk about SA.

Get shot after, what, 11 games? I genuinely mean this is the nicest way, but some of you are absolutely frigging bonkers.

17 points from 11 games is hardly dreadful. At that rate, you'd have 59 at the end of the season. 60 points was enough to get Tottenham 5th last year, so that'd put you between them and Everton, in 6th. Would sixth not be a bad return from his first season?

I remember in 1989-90 we played Man United over Christmas and tonked them 3 nil. They were absolutely shit. They'd been shit all season so far. Fergie had bought some shit players, they weren't delivering, and his job was in the balance. That day, the entire Holte End was singing "sacked in the morning" and "Fergie on the dole". The papers the next day were full of stories about how United were going to sack him. They didn't though, and look how that turned out.

I know that the fact it worked out there doesn't guarantee the same will happen for you, but the general point is valid. We're (and I'm including many of our lot here, too, we're just as bad) losing our minds if we think there's a quick fix, instant return route to competing for clubs which have been fucked to the core like Newcastle and Villa.

You've got the best appointment you've made in years now. He's going to fuck things up from time to time, he's going to baffle you, you're going to get shit results like yesterday and Derby, but he's your best bet to fix things.

Give him a chance, FFS. Getting shot now, or soon, would just be repeating the worst mistakes you've made in the past.

blueyes.gif

...and I can see the mistakes he's making...But this is the time mistakes will be made.

I remember in 1989-90 we played Man United over Christmas and tonked them 3 nil. They were absolutely s***. They'd been s*** all season so far. Fergie had bought some s*** players, they weren't delivering, and his job was in the balance. That day, the entire Holte End was singing "sacked in the morning" and "Fergie on the dole". The papers the next day were full of stories about how United were going to sack him. They didn't though, and look how that turned out.

I know that the fact it worked out there doesn't guarantee the same will happen for you, but the general point is valid. We're (and I'm including many of our lot here, too, we're just as bad) losing our minds if we think there's a quick fix, instant return route to competing for clubs which have been f***** to the core like Newcastle and Villa.

You've got the best appointment you've made in years now. He's going to f*** things up from time to time, he's going to baffle you, you're going to get s*** results like yesterday and Derby, but he's your best bet to fix things.

You're right 17 from 11 isn't bad, until you see that its come from:

Wigan, West Ham, Pompey, Everton, Villa, Bolton, Reading, Boro, Spuds, Derby, Citeh

4 of those teams will be fighting relegation at the end of the season, everyone has beaten Spurs so far this season and Reading will be mid table.

We've yet to play Blackburn, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea - all of who will be challenging for the top 4-6 and Sunderland where anything could happen.

So unfortunately we ain't going to continue to get 17 points from every 11 games!

I remember in 1989-90 we played Man United over Christmas and tonked them 3 nil. They were absolutely s***. They'd been s*** all season so far. Fergie had bought some s*** players, they weren't delivering, and his job was in the balance. That day, the entire Holte End was singing "sacked in the morning" and "Fergie on the dole". The papers the next day were full of stories about how United were going to sack him. They didn't though, and look how that turned out.

I know that the fact it worked out there doesn't guarantee the same will happen for you, but the general point is valid. We're (and I'm including many of our lot here, too, we're just as bad) losing our minds if we think there's a quick fix, instant return route to competing for clubs which have been f***** to the core like Newcastle and Villa.

You've got the best appointment you've made in years now. He's going to f*** things up from time to time, he's going to baffle you, you're going to get s*** results like yesterday and Derby, but he's your best bet to fix things.

You're right, he needs at least a season, maybe two, before we can properly judge him. I think a lot of people were against his appointment because of certain fears about how he would adapt to handling a bigger club, whether indeed he would adapt or whether he would try and 'do a Bolton' all over again. If he is going down the Bolton route, which I believe he is, then what does it mean for some of our best players? Will he got shot of them and if he does, what does that mean if he doesn't make the grade? After what Souness did here I think there is a real fear of someone overhauling the squad and taking us too far down the wrong path, only to get the boot and leave us back to square one. There is a real danger of that happening and if we are on the wrong path, I think the mentality of some is that they don't want us treading too far, if you get my drift. It is probably too early to tell, but at the same time Allardyce is a very known quantity, you know what you're getting from him in terms of his blueprint for the club and his preferred style of football.

I don't particularly want to see us go down the Bolton route, I hated Sam and hated Bolton when he was there. However, I'm willing to accept us becoming that type of outfit if it means we get back up where we want to be in the league. I want Sam to succeed even if I hate his brand of football, but I'm beginning to worry he won't ever get the time here for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he wasn't the new owner's appointment and that makes it easy to get shot of him and bring their own man in, even moreso if they detect that it's what the fans (the loudest fans rather than the majority of fans) want. Secondly, I'm not sure Allardyce is willing or capable of changing his setup to the extent that we can play to the strengths of players like Owen, Martins et al. We need these players in the game as much as possible, they are our matchwinners and if he gets them playing he will buy himself the time to overhaul the squad next summer. I don't see any evidence that he can or will do that though and that's worrying.

I think he'll change his style to suit his environment, it'll just take him a while to get it right. He's got to realise Newcastle is a totally different proposition to Bolton, and he'll have to do things a different way.

We had the same thing under Sir Graham Taylor. Long ball manager at Watford, totally different with us, and one of our most successful managers as a result. More recently, MON has been labelled a long ball merchant in his time, too, but we don't play too much of that these days.

Portsmouth are a team full of big, strong, fast, talented black men. Much like Arsenal were when they won the league and remained undefeated. Just not quite at that level.

Seem some nonsense about pace not being the be all and end all. Certainly f****** helps though. We were s**** going forward never mind defensively. We must have the slowest midfield in premiership history right now. Sadly, theres not much talent there to hide it. Glen Johnson sauntered past Milner every time. It was embarrassing to see. Zog was leaving gaps everywhere but at least closed his man down. Taylor thought he was captain courageous whilst leaving holes in the sieve like back four. The front two were given f*** all to feed on. Barton had a stinker but heyho. Everytime they got the ball they had the drive, purpose, pace and skill that we have been lacking for 3 or 4 years. Piece of piss for them. Thats without mentioning a stinker from a bloke who has dug us out of the s*** often enough this season.

Harper will get flak but it would be harsh to blame him for anything that happened out there. We need something better than we have. The wide players from rival sides are way better than ours - Arteta, Utaka, Petrov are a mile better than we have. Obviously there are those at the top 4 who would piss on ours too. Ronaldo seems to use that 'pace' quite effectively doesnt he?

Ronaldo also happens to be one of the most technically gifted players in the world at the minute.

Remember Wayne Fereday anyone... fast as f*** he was

Very true. However, it wouldn't really be true to say that Ronaldo would be as effective without his pace, would it? If that was the case Chrissy Waddle would still be in the England squad. Nobody is saying pace is all that is required. Sadly, our rivals have pace and technique. Some have outstanding technique. Our lot possess neither.

Our lot are piss poor. Across the midfield we have nobody up to scratch at present. Out wide we have even fewer options, particularly when compared with our rivals.

Portsmouth are a team full of big, strong, fast, talented black men. Much like Arsenal were when they won the league and remained undefeated. Just not quite at that level.

Seem some nonsense about pace not being the be all and end all. Certainly f****** helps though. We were s**** going forward never mind defensively. We must have the slowest midfield in premiership history right now. Sadly, theres not much talent there to hide it. Glen Johnson sauntered past Milner every time. It was embarrassing to see. Zog was leaving gaps everywhere but at least closed his man down. Taylor thought he was captain courageous whilst leaving holes in the sieve like back four. The front two were given f*** all to feed on. Barton had a stinker but heyho. Everytime they got the ball they had the drive, purpose, pace and skill that we have been lacking for 3 or 4 years. Piece of piss for them. Thats without mentioning a stinker from a bloke who has dug us out of the s*** often enough this season.

Harper will get flak but it would be harsh to blame him for anything that happened out there. We need something better than we have. The wide players from rival sides are way better than ours - Arteta, Utaka, Petrov are a mile better than we have. Obviously there are those at the top 4 who would piss on ours too. Ronaldo seems to use that 'pace' quite effectively doesnt he?

Ronaldo also happens to be one of the most technically gifted players in the world at the minute.

Very true. However, it wouldn't really be true to say that Ronaldo would be as effective without his pace, would it? If that was the case Chrissy Waddle would still be in the England squad. Nobody is saying pace is all that is required. Sadly, our rivals have pace and technique. Some have outstanding technique. Our lot possess neither.

Our lot are piss poor. Across the midfield we have nobody up to scratch at present. Out wide we have even fewer options, particularly when compared with our rivals.

Yeah. True also which I fear leaves us relying on hard graft and effort. Worrying really because if they fail on that score we are left with nothing.

Yeah. True also which I fear leaves us relying on hard graft and effort. Worrying really because if they fail on that score we are left with nothing.

There are missing pieces and I can't imagine SA isn't aware of that.

Tbf to the mf most of the players for us there were relatively cheap at todays prices. It's not as if SA is fucking up a mf with 2/3 £10m+ players. :lol:

Guest Brazilianbob

Meh whatever. That's all a bit long-winded. General point - if you're calling for Allardyce's head, two and a half months into his reign here and after what he has done - then you're blatantly absolutley off your tits.

Well I was calling for Souness's head 2 and half months into his abortive reign and I was proved right, so I will say here and now that Allardyce is just not the man for the job.  He is a clone of Souness, he has no idea regarding tactics and when you look at the format of his sides it is exactly the same as Souness's teams,  ie 433 so he can protect his defence, then when the fans demanded attacking football with wingers he reverted to 442 but played a left sided player on the right wing.  All I am seeing is a rehash of everything that Souness tried to do but ultimately failed.  Allardyce is even doing what Souness did and is blaming the players.

He is also chopping and changing the side too much, he changes the side not because it will make us play better, but because it means the opposition have to adapt to a different format and so they then have to change their style to counter.  The problem is that most sides do so with ease, hence the defeats we are suffering.

Have to disagree with most of that. The main bit about tactics is wrong imo. SA has a clear set of priorities in all the adjustments he's making. You can see he has been working on the def (there have been lapses yes) and as a unit the whole back line is man for man better than last year. He has made tactical errors with the high line at Man City and too deep against Pompey yesterday. But frankly we had nothing to counter thier pace and power and imo Happy Harry isn't tactically better than SA, he's just gone out and purchased a truckload of players every window since he's been at Pompey and whittled them down to the ones that work...We haven't had that luxury and imo it was also totally correct to address the debt before spending £30-40m on players.

SA knows better than anyone that he needs someone to play the first phase out ball (not Butt or Geremi) and someone to recieve such a ball, ideally Anelka or another mobile type with pace and ball retentions skills.

If you have trouble retaining posession 433 is better if you are going to dominate and have better players (Reading, Derby) 442 is better.

You can bury your head in the sand if you want but I will be proved right

Do you think when we get the 2/3 more players we clearly need our problems will continue?

You make the same mistake of all misguided optimists, you ask whether I think the problems will continue when we get the 2/3 players we clearly need.  I would say to you WILL we get the players we clearly need.

Sometimes it's not enough to throw money at a player.  The 2/3 players we need want success and they ain't going to come to us when we are languishing in the bottom half of the table.

Ergo the problems continue and we will carry on nosediving while FSA blames the players for not doing as they are told.  FFS, I know Steven Taylor still has a lot to learn, but FSA has reduced him from a future England prospect to 4th choice at club level.

Like Souness did before him, he is gradually getting rid of any talent at the club and bringing in his own men.  Dyer and Solano have already gone and I predict Milner and possibly even N'Zogbia will be long gone by the start of next season.

So now we should expect to be beaten 4:1 at home against Portsmouth?!  What total bollocks!  I didn't expect the game to be easy, especially with this strange fetish Portsmouth have for away games.  But I certainly did not expect them to end up thrashing us and to be honest if Allardyce hadn't made the moronic mistake (one of many lately) of playing a technical/weak centre back against big strong forwards we wouldn't have been!

Sorry Yorkie if I read your post wrong, I still think we should be doing better than we are considering who we've played.  How much was the limited  budget Allardyce had?

I think we paid out about £25m, and recieved about £14m through the Parker and Dyer deals. So that's only £11m, which compared to what the likes of Manchester City, West Ham, Portsmouth, Sunderland, and just generally in comparison to the crazy figures paid out this summer - it's quite limited.

West Ham spent £10.5 million and Portsmouth spent £15 million, hardly a massive difference to the £11 we spent is it?  Fair enough Sunderland and Man City spent £27 million each but Sunderland are hardly competing with us anyway..

One thing I find funny is how so many are saying that Taylor should've started ahead of Cacapa because of strength and pace, but looking in the pre match thread, I only saw one who said that he should be in the XI.