Would you be comfortable if we 'bought' the title?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i'm sure i've done a thread similar to this. anyway you have to back to 1960 and burnley to find the last time a largely home grown team won the league. i know manu utd had scholes,beckham,giggs and the nevilles but also scmichael,bruce,pallister,irwin etc from outside.

i'd be uncomfortable but would  live with it,even more uncomfortable if we went the arsenal route and didn't have any englsih/brits in the team.

:jesuswept:

Thread is fuck all to do with homegrown/Brits in the team mate.

I don't think we can afford to be picky tbh!

I'd love to win the League. Full stop. How it's achieved would be pretty much irrelevant. :)

I suspect many will agree, especially given our ridiculous silverware drought.

I just wouldn't like a 'our new owner has more money than your owner' method of ranking.

I know what you're driving at. I'd prefer it if we developed our title winners but to win it with a load of superstars would be just as good. :)

I know we've not won the title or owt, but City are doing well at the moment because of our false budget.

And I have to say, my seat is much more comfortable when I'm watching players of the calibre of Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka than hopeless shite like Paul Dickov, Ben Thatcher and Joey Barton. :whistle:

Winning the title...meh. I just want the best (most entertaining, however you want to spin it) in the shirt, and I don't give a fuck how they get there. If it ends up with a pot in the cupboard, so be it. Even if it doesn't I'd still rather watch better players than not and I don't really see how anyone could want otherwise.

Short answer - yes

I know we've not won the title or owt, but City are doing well at the moment because of our false budget.

And I have to say, my seat is much more comfortable when I'm watching players of the calibre of Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka than hopeless shite like Paul Dickov, Ben Thatcher and Joey Barton. :whistle:

Winning the title...meh. I just want the best (most entertaining, however you want to spin it) in the shirt, and I don't give a fuck how they get there. If it ends up with a pot in the cupboard, so be it. Even if it doesn't I'd still rather watch better players than not and I don't really see how anyone could want otherwise.

Short answer - yes

Would you feel as smug about Richards and Johnson if you'd bought them? ;)

Short answer - yes

Would you feel as smug about Richards and Johnson if you'd bought them? ;)

Well we did buy them. Sorta. Nicked Richards off Oldham at 13. Johnson used to play for Everton and bizarrely, Feyenoord.

I don't really see what you're getting at tho.

i'm sure i've done a thread similar to this. anyway you have to back to 1960 and burnley to find the last time a largely home grown team won the league. i know manu utd had scholes,beckham,giggs and the nevilles but also scmichael,bruce,pallister,irwin etc from outside.

i'd be uncomfortable but would  live with it,even more uncomfortable if we went the arsenal route and didn't have any englsih/brits in the team.

:jesuswept:

Thread is f*** all to do with homegrown/Brits in the team mate.

it's got to do with being comfortable with winning the league under certain conditions and buying the title. i don't mind buying the title if it's money the club has created (man utd), slightly uneasy winning it with benefactors money (chelsea), even more uneasy if it's with benefactors and a team of foreigners, irrational i know but it would feel like i have little or no tie to the club.

I have to say I'm with Dave on this one. I would rather we spent money a little more sensibly over a few seasons and aimed to win it or at least challenge in about three years.

I would absolutely hate to do a Chelsea and be burdened with the huge salaries that come with buying a ton of the very best players all of who would be guaranteed to be coming here for the money alone.

We ought to be a little more shrewd and go for the likes of Elano who wasn't quite recognised as being in the top tier of players yet, rather than chase players who are likely being eyed up by the likes of Madrid, Chelsea etc and therefore who would look to screw us over.

For example, instead of spending a fortune on maybe a Ronaldhino who might be made available this summer. We ought to be looking at the likes of Diego at Bremen or Carvalho at Shakthar.

And I have to say, my seat is much more comfortable when I'm watching players of the calibre of Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka than hopeless s**** like Paul Dickov, Ben Thatcher and Joey Barton. :whistle:

Winning the title...meh. I just want the best (most entertaining, however you want to spin it) in the shirt, and I don't give a f*** how they get there. If it ends up with a pot in the cupboard, so be it. Even if it doesn't I'd still rather watch better players than not and I don't really see how anyone could want otherwise.

Short answer - yes

In my opinion what City did this summer is a perfect example of how we ought to go about things as they didn't overspend on a single one of their new players. They did an excellent job of scouting and got top players without forking out £20 million for each of them. This is why their success has been much more legit. Most people didn't know a single one of the players they brought in.

Imagine if they had brought in Robinho for £18 million rather than Petrov for £3.5 million, and Van der Vaart for £20 million rather than Elano for £8 million, along with the massive wages these guys would command. Even if they were in the exact same position as they are now, I'm not sure it would have been as enjoyable.

I support a club which is known for having a good academy and has several local lads playing in the first team at the moment. It is incredibly rewarding seeing them come through and makes me feel good that we're doing things the right way, probably building a long term platform which will consist of pricey bought-in players and quality home growns.

However, would I be happy as a pig in shit if we bought the title next year? Too fucking right I would.

And I have to say, my seat is much more comfortable when I'm watching players of the calibre of Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka than hopeless s**** like Paul Dickov, Ben Thatcher and Joey Barton. :whistle:

Winning the title...meh. I just want the best (most entertaining, however you want to spin it) in the shirt, and I don't give a f*** how they get there. If it ends up with a pot in the cupboard, so be it. Even if it doesn't I'd still rather watch better players than not and I don't really see how anyone could want otherwise.

Short answer - yes

In my opinion what City did this summer is a perfect example of how we ought to go about things as they didn't overspend on a single one of their new players. They did an excellent job of scouting and got top players without forking out £20 million for each of them. This is why their success has been much more legit. Most people didn't know a single one of the players they brought in.

Imagine if they had brought in Robinho for £18 million rather than Petrov for £3.5 million, and Van der Vaart for £20 million rather than Elano for £8 million, along with the massive wages these guys would command. Even if they were in the exact same position as they are now, I'm not sure it would have been as enjoyable.

It's one of Sven's advantages over Sam, he has a worldwide reputation and contact list. Also Sven is an intense student of the game.

City have started well, but it is a long, long season.

Let's see how much the likes of Elano fancy a shitting cold winter night at Middlesbrough.

(obviously, I'm fucking jealous, but hey-ho)

You're playing the 'fancy it' card rather early fella.  bluerazz.gif

Now we seem to have established we have no qualms about buying the title, maybe the question should be: "Are you confident that Big Sam is the man to buy the title with Brewsters Ashley's millions

Good question,  We would have to see what would be bought in summer transfer window and see what kind of player(s) he brings in.

Would you be confident Sam is the man to spend it?

Personally, I am slightly less confident than I would have been in August. I'm trying to stop my knee jerking though.

yep, same here.

My confidence is ebbing away, but i am trying to remian positive.

Good, question, ti's a difficult one, i mean, obviously we;d be winning it becauese on the field we'd be playing the best. but somehow buying the title doesnt sit right with me, ill always be a romantic at heart and part of the joy of supporting newcastle united is the extreme highs which are supplemented with the extreme lows and its all in the pursuit of glory, having been through what we've been through the last 15 years (years since i started supporting) i think it would be tragic to have this pursuit ended by a quick fix. Nufc symbolizes everything about the Geordie culture, and Geordie culture is all about graft and hard work, not quick fixes. 

My heart says no, my head says yes....

Id rather wait 10 years to win the title with good investement and business sense, then win the title in 3 with stupid investment.

No brainer in my opinion. I'd take all the other clubs in the league going bust and crumble leaving us as the default champions.

In reality there is obviously as much chance of this happening as us winning the league via normal method!