Steve McClaren

Dave

Dalglish was responsible for that aging team though by signing Barnes, Rush and Pearce

Pearce was a good signing for a couple of years, Barnes was a good signing for a season too. And I was talking about the cornerstones of Keegan's team, not the additions. Lee, Ferdinand, Ginola, Beresford, Albert etc all over 30 in Dalglish's first full season.

Bottom line: Dalglish did some good things here. McClaren didn't.

They were all over 30 but playing incredible football, getting rid of ferdinand, ginola, albert and also refusing to play asprilla for long periods of time was criminal. You're right he did also bring in some good signings, but he broke up a team playing insanely good football and things just went steadily downhill. Ronaldo, iniesta, pirlo, john terry, there's tons of footballers who have/still do play great into their 30's. I will agree he hasn't been as bad as SMC though.

Guest reefatoon

Must say, not a fan of McClaren at all, didn't think he was remotely likeable. Apart from his hideous attempt at football management, those 3/4 word sentences he would spout, like we all had learning difficulties was infuriating.

We were tremendous - pause

could have done more - pause

Unlucky at times - horse teeth pop out followed by little chuckle.

The bloke was a c***.

Dalglish was responsible for that aging team though by signing Barnes, Rush and Pearce

Pearce was a good signing for a couple of years, Barnes was a good signing for a season too. And I was talking about the cornerstones of Keegan's team, not the additions. Lee, Ferdinand, Ginola, Beresford, Albert etc all over 30 in Dalglish's first full season.

Bottom line: Dalglish did some good things here. McClaren didn't.

Ultimately your bottom line is a key point, and I agree with that, but Dalglish did  more harm than good for us IMO. The three most important players you've mentioned above (Lee, Ferdinand, Ginola) all went on to have a good few more years playing very well so they could have remained cornerstones.

He did sign some good players but certainly didn't himself get the best out of a large number of them. Speed in particular was shocking in his first season for us. Hamann was the only thing I remember loving about that period of time.

McClaren started from s*** and continued to be s***, I think Dalglish did more direct harm.

Dog Leash had one of the best attacks in the league, finished a second and then in the following season decided to demolish the team and replace key players with burnt out hasbeens.

The bloke was off his rocker.

He was also ruined by Shearer breaking his ankle but also did him self no favours signing Anderson.

He was starting to annoy me with his comments that bore no relation to reality, but now he's gone I'll very soon forget him.

Unlike that cunt Pardew who is like a stain on my mind that even Persil could not eradicate. I honestly thought he would fade from memory too, but every time I see his face I get this massive negative reaction.

John fucking Barnes man, turned up for the start of one season weighing in at 16 stone having spent the whole pre-season camped out at MacDonalds. Little bullet heed on a big blubbery body,like George Foreman before he brought his grill out

McClaren started from s*** and continued to be s***, I think Dalglish did more direct harm.

Dog Leash had one of the best attacks in the league, finished a second and then in the following season decided to demolish the team and replace key players with burnt out hasbeens.

He was also ruined by Shearer breaking his ankle but also did him self no favours signing Anderson.

Sold Ginola and Ferdinand too like right around the time of the injury right? Should have blocked that fucking move (if possible)

Pamela Andersson - that's a blast from the past.

Thinking about it, I probably hate Dalglish as much as I do because it was the first time I'd ever experienced bad football times since getting really into the game. I just remember finding the whole period depressing as hell after such an amazing time supporting us the few years preceding it.

Remember being massively disappointed with how cagey we were under Dalglish at the 98 final and the lack of changes to try and change the game until it was too late.  Was seeing our last real chance of a trophy slip away before my eyes and he didn't seem too bothered, just wanted to continue keep it tight and not lose by 3 or 4.  Remember the our fans screaming "attack, attack, attack" as we passed it about in our own half with 20 minutes to go :(

Guess he got us to the final, so there's that.

There was 2 things stood out for me,certainly in the latter part of his reign,if we went behind we were fucking knackered,beaten. And his insistence in the post match interviews that everything was fine,having played about 8 fullbacks for an away fixture and still got beaten. ' Proud of my players' he would say every time, would boil the piss of a maiden

Didn't want Mitrovic and Thauvin last summer according to a few rags.

Wasn't Thauvin actually in the Ligue 1 "Worst XI" last season? My friend who's a Ligue 1 fan said he was, also said nobody who watched ligue 1 could actually believe he had been bought, let alone for the price we paid. Graham Carr, the genius, strikes again..

Guest Howaythetoon

Dalglish was destined to fail, just like SMC. Dalglish walked into a similar situation in many ways in that the club was entrenched in a certain culture and he was the antithesis of it. Sir Bobby was the man to replace KK - that happens and we win the league or something.

Yeah well, we'll see if tunes change if we go down. Dalglish had no Shearer for the season and suffered the consequences.

My tune won't change. SMc was a minor symptom of the disease this club is fighting and, whether we're relegated or not, he'll never be the sole reason we're down.

KD had a far more damaging effect on NUFC given the respective circumstances.

Aye so damaging in fact that we were finishing and 4th and 3rd a few seasons later. Including players like Solano, Speed, Shay and Dabizas that he signed, by the way.

Dalglish's team were aging and on the way down. He had one bad season in which we finished 13th, beat Barcelona and reached a cup final. McClaren has quite possibly gotten us relegated with his cowardice and ineptitude.

Spectacular lack of recognition of the fact that we're virtually two completely different football clubs in the interim period between KD & SMc managing the first team.

The club KD was working for wanted to compete, wanted to win things, was entirely set up for success etc.

You've noted four players he signed (Dabiza's is questionable btw, but you can claim him as a good signing if you like), I can name many more, without even thinking about it, who were either utter toss, finished or very clearly signed using a 'jobs for the boys' policy:

Hamilton

Serrant

Paul Dalglish (wonder what attracted him to this young superstar?)

Andersson

Perez

Guivarch

Rush

Barnes

Pearce

Pinas

There was discussion at the time of needing to bolster the squad. Not sure how much 'bolstering' we'd have needed if he hadn't jettisoned Beresford, Tino, Clark, Ginola, Elliott etc.

Not to mention that fucking mumbling he'd do after every game in front of the camera's.

He was a disaster of an appointment.

Yeah well, we'll see if tunes change if we go down. Dalglish had no Shearer for the season and suffered the consequences.

My tune won't change. SMc was a minor symptom of the disease this club is fighting and, whether we're relegated or not, he'll never be the sole reason we're down.

KD had a far more damaging effect on NUFC given the respective circumstances.

Aye so damaging in fact that we were finishing and 4th and 3rd a few seasons later. Including players like Solano, Speed, Shay and Dabizas that he signed, by the way.

Dalglish's team were aging and on the way down. He had one bad season in which we finished 13th, beat Barcelona and reached a cup final. McClaren has quite possibly gotten us relegated with his cowardice and ineptitude.

Spectacular lack of recognition of the fact that we're virtually two completely different football clubs in the interim period between KD & SMc managing the first team.

The club KD was working for wanted to compete, wanted to win things, was entirely set up for success etc.

You've noted four players he signed (Dabiza's is questionable btw, but you can claim him as a good signing if you like), I can name many more, without even thinking about it, who were either utter toss, finished or very clearly signed using a 'jobs for the boys' policy:

Hamilton

Serrant

Paul Dalglish (wonder what attracted him to this young superstar?)

Andersson

Perez

Guivarch

Rush

Barnes

Pearce

Pinas

There was discussion at the time of needing to bolster the squad. Not sure how much 'bolstering' we'd have needed if he hadn't jettisoned Beresford, Tino, Clark, Ginola, Elliott etc.

Not to mention that f***ing mumbling he'd do after every game in front of the camera's.

He was a disaster of an appointment.

Arrrghhh my eyes!