Steve McClaren

Dave

Williamson is so far out of his depth in the PL that someone should throw him a lifebelt with 'Championship bottom 6' written on it. He cannot read a game at this level, lacks decent pace and is woeful in the air for a big CD.

He needs to go and quickly, or rather, we need to replace him with a much better player quickly - he could scrape through some games when Colo was a fitter and faster partner who bailed him out but he cannot stand on his own merits.

An ENORMOUS weak link in the side.

Have some of you tell it, Mike Williamson has never had a good game at this level.

That's exaggerating too far the other way.

You are the guy though who thinks Di Maria and Matuidi were separated at birth so don't be surprised at a little incoming :lol:

People like you intentionally misread my posts. I said out of Motta, Verratti & Matuidi - ADM is most similar to Matuidi. Central to left shuttlers. If you disagree. Please refer to the links I used in the other thread to support my argument and promptly return with an apology.

:lol: Yah, sure!

Williamson is so far out of his depth in the PL that someone should throw him a lifebelt with 'Championship bottom 6' written on it. He cannot read a game at this level, lacks decent pace and is woeful in the air for a big CD.

He needs to go and quickly, or rather, we need to replace him with a much better player quickly - he could scrape through some games when Colo was a fitter and faster partner who bailed him out but he cannot stand on his own merits.

An ENORMOUS weak link in the side.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he left next season and signed for Gateshead.

On a good day Williamson is a decent PL stopper. Asking him to do any more than that is asking too much of his already very limited ability imo. Hope he's sold nonetheless.

A good PL stopper wouldn't be left floundering every time a player runs at him or get beat by 5'9 forwards like N'Zogbia in the air. Forget about the passing, even as a stopper he's a nervous  train wreck when he's put under pressure.

On a good day Williamson is a decent PL stopper. Asking him to do any more than that is asking too much of his already very limited ability imo. Hope he's sold nonetheless.

A good PL stopper wouldn't be left floundering every time a player runs at him or get beat by 5'9 forwards like N'Zogbia in the air. Forget about the passing, even as a stopper he's a nervous  train wreck when he's put under pressure.

Well tbf he said on a good day he was a decent PL stopper which isn't inaccurate but his good days are few and far between

Positionally Williamson is the worst CB i've seen at Premier League level (that i can recall anyway). The sheer number of goals we concede from him being in the wrong place at the wrong time is staggering.

The fact that positional play is mostly coached rather than instinctive suggests he's incapable of grasping how to defend at this level. 

If he made up for his abysmal positional play with something else eg. leadership qualities, heading ability, goal threat etc. you could probably cut him some slack but he's not very good at any of those things either.

I'm sure he's had one or two games where he played alright but they are definitely an exception to the norm.

Triggs ability to read and comprehend marks him as one of the most intelligent posters on the board.

What's the point in saying someone can be a decent PL stopper on a good day? You could say that about Titus Bramble or just about anyone. He's either a good PL stopper or he isn't.

Triggs ability to read and comprehend marks him as one of the most intelligent posters on the board.

What's the point in saying someone can be a decent PL stopper on a good day? You could say that about Titus Bramble or just about anyone. He's either a good PL stopper or he isn't.

In the case that if he has to play, let's try and make it a good day by letting him play within his limitations. I've already said this.

Titus Bramble was actually a very good PL CB on a good day (or for 89 minutes). Quick, strong, brilliant in the air, positionally decent. It was the massive howlers that were the problem. Massive, massive brain farts. But on a good day he would look like a top player. Can never say the same for Mike.

What's a shuttler? :lol:

B2B midfielder basically,

I would disagree. Paul Scholes in his 20's was a B2B midfielder. He couldn't play the shuttler role. Didn't have the running ability/stamina. To be a shuttler you must be able to make runs from central to wide (can be with or without the ball, offensive or defensive).

This is the best article I can find on it: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1547626-why-claudio-marchisio-is-world-footballs-best-midfield-shuttler

Many 3-5-2 formations have a deep-lying midfielder to anchor the system. That can either be a regista (Andrea Pirlo) or a someone less glamorous but just as important (David Pizarro).

They're not always the most mobile of defenders, and they're often playmakers first, defenders second. They alone cannot orchestrate proceedings (although some do a fine job of trying it), and to move forward as a team you need players with vertical ability alongside them.

This is where the midfield shuttler comes in. Some teams use one, some teams use two, and their job is to run the midfield channels either side of the deep-lying playmaker to drag their team up the field and into attacking positions.

They must be capable with and without the ball, and an endless motor is a key attribute.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/744/910/MVPtriumviratesmall_original.jpg?1362058674