Steve McClaren

Dave

I think Wijnaldum will drop a bit deeper very soon. Either De Jong or Perez as a no 10 in that case. Perez hopefully. The formation may change to 4-3-3 soon anyway, or 4-1-4-1 like againt ManU.

Agree completely, wijnaldum needs to drop into the two middle player section and one of anita or colback get dropped. bring ayoze or SDJ into the No10 spot.

Probloem solved, we all see it clearly apart from Mclaren who thinks Wiji's position os No10 (Wiji has said his preferred place). He is playing very well in that position also, bit of a conundrum really, would be good to try it out though...

Didn't know Billy Whitehurst was his best man. Saw him play and he was a hard nut. Was there when he gave two fingers to the crowd in his last game - not many around like him these days.

I was there too, and proud to say I was in that section of the crowd he gave the two fingered salute to. He deserved all the abuse he got, absolute donkey of a player.

Bentaleb is a decent unit, decent in the air and gets across the pitch with ease. Mason too, can cover ground very well.

I think that's a big problem with these two, they look fine when we are sitting deep and defending, but it means we are limited when it comes to pushing teams onto the back foot, I just don't think they have either the physicality or the legs to go box to box.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I would assume McClaren could clearly see that CM wasn't a pressing need, so pressured for transfers in other areas.

It's not about playing 30-40 yard passes and it's not about being physically dominant. How many times does Tiote get turned by agile opponents. I want my CM's to keep the ball and control the tempo of the game above all else. That means short, sharp passes, to move the opposition around the pitch. Anita and Colback are the best we have at doing that. Wijnaldum might be better but we don't know yet.

I'll point out again that Spurs finished 5th with Benteleb and Mason playing CM. They are not fundamentally better than Anita-Colback.

I'm not saying you have to agree with playing them both, but if you fail to grasp the rationale behind doing so, then I don't hold out much hope.

Spurs have a lot of physical midfielders and I remember them making us look like boys at SJP two seasons ago when we had Sissoko and Anita as CMs. The lack of physical presence in our midfield was apparent on Saturday when both of our CMs were always yards away from the Arsenal player with the ball . That's because even if they did press they would always struggle to put in a tackle against a big guy without fouling  :lol:

I do not understand why we would sign Wijnaldum to play as #10.

At the beginning of the season we had Perez, De Jong & Cabella that could play there.

Who said we signed him to play number 10?

Our number 10 will be De Jong. Wijnaldum is just filling in because De Jong is working his way back.

Well Wijnaldum said he was signed to play number 10 and that's certainly where he wants to play. He was specifically quoted as saying he didn't want to play as a winger or in centre midfield. Thauvin actually said the same thing. De Jong can pretty much only play as a 10. I'm sure that Perez wants to play as a 10. Pretty crowded that number 10 spot.

Didn't know Billy Whitehurst was his best man. Saw him play and he was a hard nut. Was there when he gave two fingers to the crowd in his last game - not many around like him these days.

I was there too, and proud to say I was in that section of the crowd he gave the two fingered salute to. He deserved all the abuse he got, absolute donkey of a player.

Had some poor forwards then - Mavis Reilly and Tony Cunningham to name but two.

Of all our "hard" players over the years I can't think of anyone close to Bad Billy. Anyone disagree?

Heard some stories about McNamee and Ollie Burton and I actually think Kevin Scott was up for it, always first on the scene and protective of his team mates when things got ugly, his problem was he was so polite in play. No one bullied Shearer and apparently if Benny Kristensen could be roused he was mean, Kevin Dillon had a reputataion that it seemed he was trying to live down when he came here, Joey Barton was/is a pussy in comparisson.

On the pitch Billy wasn't that hard but he had a reputation, put him in the car park with a Shearer could be interesting, as much because Shearer could take it.

Of all our "hard" players over the years I can't think of anyone close to Bad Billy. Anyone disagree?

Heard some stories about McNamee and Ollie Burton and I actually think Kevin Scott was up for it, always first on the scene and protective of his team mates when things got ugly, his problem was he was so polite in play. No one bullied Shearer and apparently if Benny Kristensen could be roused he was mean, Kevin Dillon had a reputataion that it seemed he was trying to live down when he came here, Joey Barton was/is a pussy in comparisson.

On the pitch Billy wasn't that hard but he had a reputation, put him in the car park with a Shearer could be interesting, as much because Shearer could take it.

Both McNamee and Burton were hard cases - McNamee more obviously, I once saw him get booked for a clattering foul on Alan Clarke of Leeds and McNamee had only been on the field as a sub for a couple of minutes. He was a decent CB though and intimidating for opposition forwards - he often weighed in with crucial goals too, saw him score against Spurs after just about battering his way into their penalty area after working a 1-2 with Pop Robson(I think) and there was that never-to-be forgotten moment when he swung from the Sunderland cross-bar at Roker Park after scoring there...I think it was a 3-3 draw after we had been behind.

Burton was a more cultured defender and he had decent ball skills but he could be very nasty on the quiet....always thought him and Moncur were our best defensive pairing during the Fairs Cup run.

Some real hard cases around at that time...Chopper Harris of Chelsea, Peter Storey at Arsenal and of course, Tommy Smith(Liverpool)and Norman Hunter/Jackie Charlton at Leeds. Some of these guys wouldn't last 5 minutes with today's rules/refs....

Guest reefatoon

Billy Whitehurst was just as hard on the pitch, he was a beast and terrified people. You read back on old players that mention the hardest player they have played against and it was always Billy's name that came up. It was him that also destroyed Bracewells leg when he was at Everton. He was out for about 2 years. I do remember a game against Birmingham when the left back was kicking lumps out of Paul Stephenson (only a young kid at the time) and after yet another foul, Whitehurst went over and started talking to Stephenson and pointing at the left back. You could literally see the left backs arse falling off, especialy when Whitehurst worked his way over that side of the pitch. Was glorious to see as a young kid.

I started watching football in the 1970s and it was completely different then.

Among Leeds players, Gordon McQueen wasn't a standout hardman, but stick this into Youtube for a look at what a bad-tempered game was like back then. In a high-profile game I think you could be looking at a 10-game ban for that now.

"Barca vs Leeds 1975 MCQueen sending off"

He actually contests the decision!

Even nice guys like Keegan had to be up for it, as witnessed by him trading blows with Billy Bremner in the Charity Shield (!)

I started watching football in the 1970s and it was completely different then.

Among Leeds players, Gordon McQueen wasn't a standout hardman, but stick this into Youtube for a look at what a bad-tempered game was like back then. In a high-profile game I think you could be looking at a 10-game ban for that now.

"Barca vs Leeds 1975 MCQueen sending off"

He actually contests the decision!

Even nice guys like Keegan had to be up for it, as witnessed by him trading blows with Billy Bremner in the Charity Shield (!)

Gordon McQueen's daughter scrubs up well.

i suspect he won't line up quite as attacking as that at west ham mind, not sure our defence is quite ready to be left to their own devices away from home just yet :lol:

think it'll perez in for mitrovic as the only change then look to attack more in the next game at home