Steve McClaren

Dave

The primadonas also play up against the elite sides for the camera and the shop window. Other than that I agree with Wullie.

They don't though. We've been absolutely horrendous in possession at Spurs three years running and somehow won all three games. It's a very easy cliche. Nobody can tell me we were impressive against Liverpool and Spurs, this season or last. We've won the games because we've been solid and pinched it on the break in the second half. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not evidence that the players are somehow turning up against those teams. I'd be even more worried if that was them turning it on, Jesus.

We were very impressive second half last week.

After we scored certainly, when the home team under enormous pressure to win the game has to come out and throw everything at us, and we can break. Mitrovic nearly scored on the break, then Perez did score on the break. We've hardly scored a goal all season that wasn't either a counter attack or a set piece.

Our offensive threat against a team that is defending basically doesn't exist.

Agree, we seem to have only a "Plan A" which is work hard,soak up the threat and possibly hit them on the break when they go through a rough spell, add to this the silly tactic of bringing on our two better forward players with only thirty minutes and it shows the imagination of our coach... Thauvin for ten minutes yesterday was the exception to the rule

It's hard to be too harsh on yesterday's game because of those conditions, but persisting with Cisse needs to stop right now. Did McClaren think the strategy for Villa should be the same as Spurs & Liverpool? If so, that's worrying.

We had the chances to win that but could also have lost, I just hope we don't regret dropping those 2 points. At least we didn't lose, I suppose.

Agree on Cisse.  I said it after West Ham and I stand by it.  I'd be happy to never see him play for us again.  Can't stand watching him.  He's an appalling footballer, his touch and decision making leaves a lot to be desired and I don't think he's been arsed about being here for a long while now.  Maybe the club have been trying to peddle him and it's fucked him off?  Who knows.  Either way, he's not worthy of a starting spot in our team. 

Not sure about de Jong either.  Too slow and ponderous.  Doesn't offer as much as Perez and I'm just not sure what his position or role in the team is? 

Really reminded me of Pardew with the team on Saturday.  He's found a winning formula and he's just going to stick with it.  Totally ignoring players on the subs bench that are clearly superior or more suited, than those in the starting XI.

If Gestede had started, I think Villa would have won comfortably.  The prospect of relegation seems very real again all of a sudden.  Any team with a tall centre forward, is going to create a lot of chances against our woeful back 4.

It's not motivation that sees us beat the better sides year-on-year, it's a simple matter of being a counter attacking team with very little else in our locker. Not a lot has changed in that regard from what we were seeing a year or two ago, in fact we're even getting our results in identical games - Chelsea (h), Spurs (a), Liverpool (h).

We thumped Norwich because they naively decided to play an attacking game with a high line. If the opposition decide to set up even vaguely conservatively, we've got nothing.

This is a great point mind.

It's not motivation that sees us beat the better sides year-on-year, it's a simple matter of being a counter attacking team with very little else in our locker. Not a lot has changed in that regard from what we were seeing a year or two ago, in fact we're even getting our results in identical games - Chelsea (h), Spurs (a), Liverpool (h).

We thumped Norwich because they naively decided to play an attacking game with a high line. If the opposition decide to set up even vaguely conservatively, we've got nothing.

This is a great point mind.

It is indeed.  Not seen it argued as well as that.  But haven't people basically been saying this on here for quite a while now?

Never claimed I was saying anything revolutionary like, just taking issue with the idea that we can't beat shit teams because the players choose not to bother their arse in those games. If every mediocre team gave Sissoko and Wijnaldum the sort of space to run into that Norwich did, they'd look dynamite every single week and nobody would be criticising their effort. Doing that gets the real shit in the team, that contribute absolutely nothing going forward, off the hook.

He's found a winning formula and he's just going to stick with it.  Totally ignoring players on the subs bench that are clearly superior or more suited, than those in the starting XI.

I don't think this is fair at all. He started the season without Perez, then he brought him in, then dropped him again. De Jong never played, now he's had a (very short) run of games. Mitrovic was starting and then he dropped out.

Whether you agree or disagree with the current lineup is one thing, but I don't think it's fair to say that McClaren never changes things. He just doesn't change things every game.

He's found a winning formula and he's just going to stick with it.  Totally ignoring players on the subs bench that are clearly superior or more suited, than those in the starting XI.

I don't think this is fair at all. He started the season without Perez, then he brought him in, then dropped him again. De Jong never played, now he's had a (very short) run of games. Mitrovic was starting and then he dropped out.

Whether you agree or disagree with the current lineup is one thing, but I don't think it's fair to say that McClaren never changes things. He just doesn't change things every game.

Keeping the same team and tactics, against Villa.  Was always going to be a mistake IMO.  I know it is easy to say that in hindsight, but I think plenty of others on here, were suggesting we should be changing it up and probably starting Perez and Mitrovic. 

He's changed things before due to desperation.  In case you didn't notice, we were getting battered most weeks...  Not sure where we found the 'winning formula' beforehand?  Didn't we settle on the Gini and Sissoko wide, Perez behind Mitro, for quite a few games.  Due to a couple of half decent performances and also getting a win (s*** game against Bournemouth).  Mitrovic and Perez were dropped off the back of poor performances/defeats, after that. 

He even said pre-match that he was tempted to change it, but kept the winning team from the previous two weeks.  Cisse being injured and de Jong missing that sitter and generally doing f*** all the last two games, might be a blessing in disguise. 

That said, the tactics used against Liverpool and Spurs.  Might be more suited against Everton.  I still don't think I'd start Cisse, mind.

Maybe I'm being premature.  I just feel like if everyone is fit.  So long as we get a result.  We'll just persevere with the same team week in, week out.  Regardless of opposition or who is in form and showing up well off the bench.  Then we'll wait until a defeat or two.  To suddenly realise we've been figured out and not every team we play is the same.  It reminds me of Pardew so much.

Yep.  Gestede gave Colo fits and he won pretty much everything in the air.  Quite glad he didn't start.

And Chancel too tbf. There was a period where Gestede beat Chancel for the ball then moments later Chancel didn't even both to challenge Gestede in the air to the point Gestede was able to control it, bring it down , turn and pass with no player on him.I understand the tactic of "winning the second ball" and stepping off the player a bit but you simply can't let him do all of that. Whole team shit scared of the lad.

Keeping the same team and tactics, against Villa.  Was always going to be a mistake IMO.  I know it is easy to say that in hindsight, but I think plenty of others on here, were suggesting we should be changing it up and probably starting Perez and Mitrovic. 

He's changed things before due to desperation.  In case you didn't notice, we were getting battered most weeks...  Not sure where we found the 'winning formula' beforehand?  Didn't we settle on the Gini and Sissoko wide, Perez behind Mitro, for quite a few games.  Due to a couple of half decent performances and also getting a win (s*** game against Bournemouth).  Mitrovic and Perez were dropped off the back of poor performances/defeats, after that. 

He even said pre-match that he was tempted to change it, but kept the winning team from the previous two weeks.  Cisse being injured and de Jong missing that sitter and generally doing f*** all the last two games, might be a blessing in disguise. 

That said, the tactics used against Liverpool and Spurs.  Might be more suited against Everton.  I still don't think I'd start Cisse, mind.

Maybe I'm being premature.  I just feel like if everyone is fit.  So long as we get a result.  We'll just persevere with the same team week in, week out.  Regardless of opposition or who is in form and showing up well off the bench.  Then we'll wait until a defeat or two.  To suddenly realise we've been figured out and not every team we play is the same.  It reminds me of Pardew so much.

I said this a couple of days ago, he's better than Pardew in that at least he'll change a losing team rather than persevere to our detriment. However he got a winning formula against Liverpool then Tottenham and persevered with that, like he's unable to view the Villa game as a different game all together. Sticking with the same lineup and approach against a side with a flimsy defence, rock bottom of the league and rock bottom on confidence was a mistake and showed them too much respect.

Villa were there for the taking, yes we didn't want to get too complacent and believe we should just turn up to win but on the flip-side of that we should have gone into that game with the belief we would win and with more attacking intent. That is where he is similar to Pardew in that he approaches every game the same.

I think he may change it up against Everton because there were some bad performances at home to Villa. Could go either way against Everton, feels like one of those ganes where a middling team put us to the sword but equally one we could win as their style of play fits our counter attack.

I think the difference will be Lukaku.  The last two teams haven't had a beast like that.  I thought Benteke would give us problems, but Liverpool were unbelievably bad against us and he has been pretty poor for them TBF.

The form Lukaku is in, he'll eat Colo alive.  Oh and Mbemba, too.  I better put this in to stop the Contrarian quoting me again.

Play good owld fashioned 442. 2 strikers up top,2 wingers,2 midfielders(1 defensive). Sick of managers jumping on the 4231 bandwagon playing 2 defensive midfielders,load of s****. Have some bottle and play your own formation you farmer faced t***.

Looking forward to Deulofeu against Dummett again.

Let's hope it's like the time Jordan Ibe destroyed him...

Was thinking more like the time they beat us 0-3 and he got absolutely roasted along with the rest of them.