Steve McClaren

Dave

Our squad is woeful like. In goal we have a Championship 'keeper at best. Colo is way past his best and Mbemba is inexperienced at this level. At full-back Dummett is Championshop standard and Jaanmat a liability defensively. In midfield we have Gini who for me is our best and only top class player or stand out player. We have Sissoko who is inconsistent and technically very average and then we have Colback, a free from the mackems who have for the last decade it seems constantly been in a relegation fight... and he was one of their better players! Anita is a nothing player, not great, but not s***, just meh. Up front we have two youngsters from a low level of Europen football. Deeper into the squad and we have Cisse who the club have wanted rid of for a long time, Tiote likewise, both players who don't want to be here. The whole squad stinks. There is very little talent and zero balance. I'd say we have one of the worst squads in the league.

Agree with this too

Can I good manager turn an unbalanced squad into a team worth a s***? I'm sure we could be better but the squad hasn't shown me anything in a long time that needs me to believe it could be a proper team as it stands.

By 1 playing the team in a formation which does not allow the opposition to dominate the play from the first minute to the last and 2 to play players in their correct position. It's not rocket science you know - the squad looks tiotally unbalanced due to the formation, tactics, insistance on playing three or four Championship players every week and playing the players who have the arsenal to contribute totally out of position and as such making their contribution far less productive.

Can I good manager turn an unbalanced squad into a team worth a s***? I'm sure we could be better but the squad hasn't shown me anything in a long time that needs me to believe it could be a proper team as it stands.

By 1 playing the team in a formation which does not allow the opposition to dominate the play from the first minute to the last and 2 to play players in their correct position. It's not rocket science you know - the squad looks tiotally unbalanced due to the formation, tactics, insistance on playing three or four Championship players every week and playing the players who have the arsenal to contribute totally out of position and as such making their contribution far less productive.

Yep. The squad hasn't shown anything for ages cause it's been managed by shite for longer than anyone cares to remember [emoji38]

Until we've seen our best players in a system that suits their qualities failing I will continue to believe these are good enough for midtable in this league. Evidently, no left hand side, two defensive midfielders, four central midfielders and no wingers does not get the best out of this squad. Why McClaren keeps at it begars belief really.

The shittest defence in the league and no proven goalscorer in the entire squad and you're still at it, man. Give over.

Aye - the game can be this simple. Solid defence + goals = decent team. Crap defence + no goals = crap team. This is us.

Or we could try dropping a defensive midfielder and playing a more attacking formation considering we do have some assets in that department like De Jong, Wijnaldum, Perez, Sissoko etc.

I agree we should try. But having more defensive responsibilities isn't likely to make the likes of Sissoko or Gini (i'm assuming you want us to try at least one if not both at CM) more dangerous or creative. And it won't help us defend better. We need to do something but nothing screams out as a good balance because the squad doesn't have it.

That's where they've played their whole careers until they came here.  We bought them on the back of their outstanding performances in the centre and then decide we'd rather play them on the wings.  It's stupid.

Our squad is woeful like. In goal we have a Championship 'keeper at best. Colo is way past his best and Mbemba is inexperienced at this level. At full-back Dummett is Championshop standard and Jaanmat a liability defensively. In midfield we have Gini who for me is our best and only top class player or stand out player. We have Sissoko who is inconsistent and technically very average and then we have Colback, a free from the mackems who have for the last decade it seems constantly been in a relegation fight... and he was one of their better players! Anita is a nothing player, not great, but not s***, just meh. Up front we have two youngsters from a low level of Europen football. Deeper into the squad and we have Cisse who the club have wanted rid of for a long time, Tiote likewise, both players who don't want to be here. The whole squad stinks. There is very little talent and zero balance. I'd say we have one of the worst squads in the league.

Agree with this too

Me too...an excellent summary by HTT. I agree with almost all he has written, but I do think you could get away with Anita IF we had dominant m/f players around him - and we don't. I remember people thinking Geoff Nulty was a plank when Joe Harvey signed him from Burnley in the 70s, but when Gordon Lee took over, he used him as a 'fetch-and-carry' player in m/f and he got a fair few goals there too but he had Tommy Craig and Tommy Cassidy doing the clever stuff.

Anita is technically decent but he lacks the physique to be a tackling midfielder and his play isn't clever or dominant enough to act in Cabaye's role. Other than that, HTT is spot on - Wijnaldum IS a talented player but he is not, in my view, a dominating CM. He is better arriving late in the box and getting on the end of passes or in time for headers at which he has been successful. IF we still had Cabaye, we wouldn't be as far down the table as we are and Wijnaldum would have even more goals. I am still to be convinced about the forwards, esp Mitrovic ; Perez has scored vital goals, but not enough of them and won't whilst he lacks support as he is slight in build - he is wasted at NUFC and would be better in a better squad. Mitrovic lacks pace - critical weakness in a forward these days - and is always liable to be booked. Experience MAY show an improvement but time is something NUFC haven't got if they are to survive. Cisse is a waste of space, he and Tiote should have been long gone, as should Colo - the very fact he was given a new contract sums up the club's lack of ambition and ability to find quality defenders. Janmaat, great going forward and technically decent, is a poor defender and Dummett IS a Champ player - no better.

We are a club with an owner who is only interested in picking up TV cash, a CEO who shouldn't(and couldn't)run a whelk stall, a Chief Scout who spends most of his time in France, probably because he knows the club will only spend limited fees on players and just needs to keep recommending people he knows the club will either not bid for, or are cheap. In my view, only Cabaye of his French recommends has been a real success. I will not mention the mana - I mean, the Coach - because we all know about him..The remainder of the Board are former players who wouldn't get a similar job in a really ambitious club and quite happy to pick up their Danegeld whilst alienating their former fans by sucking up to an owner who despises them. Our Junior sides are NOT bringing through any local talent which is in any case, a diminishing resource.

As you can see, we are in fine shape and know where we are going....the Championship, and this time any players wanted by other clubs - namely Wijnaldum - will be off and it will be a long haul to get back to the PL...if ever.

There are weaknesses in the squad as individuals and in how they blend as a unit. But McClaren has had only one transfer window and half a season, and he inherited a sinking ship that was lucky to avoid relegation. The natural reaction when a team is doing badly is to call for the manager's head, but there's plenty of reasons to think that any other manager (who we could reasonably attract) would struggle as well.

It looks to me that in midfield McClaren is just selecting his best individuals and hoping that they click enough times in a game to win matches. In theory he should be looking for a better blend, but there's a lack of quality and availability in the wide positions that make that difficult. Obertan and Gouffran aren't  good enough, and Obi is injured anyway. Cabella didn't settle. Thauvin might make the grade but will need time that McClaren can't afford. Aarons has been injured.

So he pushes Wijnaldum out wide, despite the fact that his best work is done through the centre and he never looks likely to make the by-line. Sissoko can look effective going forward when the play is stretched, but doesn't contribute much in other areas. It's not a pretty sight, but what's the alternative? A fit De Jong might allow him to put Ayoze out wider, but that's hardly ideal. We just have to hope that the January window gives McClaren another option or two.

100% agree with this. Glad someone finally said it.

I agree with HTT but his post doesn't highlight how poor other squads are. For all our shite, there are plenty of worse squads.

Leicester are a fantastic team, that's why they have got results. They aren't in the top four because of their squad, it's because they play as a team.

Atm our line up is all over the place. Drop Coloccini and Colback, play 442 or near enough, play our best players and we would soon start picking up points.

Something like this

Elliot

Janmaat

Mbemba

Dummett

Haidara/Mbabu

Sissoko

Anita

Wijnaldum

Perez

De Jong

Mitrovic

Newcastle only escaped relegation on the final day of last season. This time 12 months ago, however, they were NINE points better off and in 10th position.

The Magpies were relegated in 2009 but, at this juncture, Joe Kinnear’s side had five points more. They had scored 25 goals – McClaren’s lot have 19 – and conceded 27, as opposed to the 34 shipped by the current vintage.

Ouch

I can understand the current midfield setup but it's not working. They're not good enough but he's going for solidity and discipline and fairly reliable sideways passing at CM the best he can. IN the hopes that gives Gini & Sissoko the platform to attack and win us matches. The system in particular allows Wijnaldum to do whatever he wants.

Any other system gives Sissoko/Gini our most creative and best finisher more defensive responsibility in favour of more attacking from an "inferior" player. Wijnaldum seems to be more favoured at CM on occasion and he's been poor whenever deployed there.

I can understand the current midfield setup but it's not working. They're not good enough but he's going for solidity and discipline and fairly reliable sideways passing at CM the best he can. IN the hopes that gives Gini & Sissoko the platform to attack and win us matches. The system in particular allows Wijnaldum to do whatever he wants.

Any other system gives Sissoko/Gini our most creative and best finisher more defensive responsibility in favour of more attacking from an "inferior" player. Wijnaldum seems to be more favoured at CM on occasion and he's been poor whenever deployed there.

Let's say at best it was worth a try to see if it could work. It doesn't, so why persevere with it? Regarding your comment about Wijnaldum how many times has he actually played in the centre of midfield for us with a dependable defensive midfield player behind him? I've seen him play in central midfield for Holland in the World Cup and whilst not the strongest link in that side, he didn't look out of place. At PSV he also had to balance offensive and defensive duties. He has the physical attributes to be successful in that position in this league. If the alternative is to keep doing what we have been doing for the past few months it's a no brainer imo, as it keeps one of Colback/Anita out of the side and allows us to bring a winger on in their place.

I had a dream last night that Mourinho took over. It was so vivid. Even half thought it was true when I woke up this morning. Very odd.

:lol: weird I was in that semi wake stage this morning when you've got no work and no rush to get up and half dreaming sort of thing- and Steve Mc comes along, was proper fking hating him, woke up in a shitty mood, the cunt- minds made up now- the universe has spoken.

Let's say at best it was worth a try to see if it could work. It doesn't, so why persevere with it? Regarding your comment about Wijnaldum how many times has he actually played in the centre of midfield for us with a dependable defensive midfield player behind him? I've seen him play in central midfield for Holland in the World Cup and whilst not the strongest link in that side, he didn't look out of place. At PSV he also had to balance offensive and defensive duties. He has the physical attributes to be successful in that position in this league. If the alternative is to keep doing what we have been doing for the past few months it's a no brainer imo, as it keeps one of Colback/Anita out of the side and allows us to bring a winger on in their place.

Basically what I was saying earlier. We've got three defensive midfielders in the squad yet McClaren doesn't seem to trust any of them to do the job alone. I know times have changed but we used to have Lee Clark as our only defensive midfielder under Keegan and he wasn't by nature a defensive player.

What's our comparative points at this stage to the season we went down?

Newcastle only escaped relegation on the final day of last season. This time 12 months ago, however, they were NINE points better off and in 10th position.

The Magpies were relegated in 2009 but, at this juncture, Joe Kinnear’s side had five points more. They had scored 25 goals – McClaren’s lot have 19 – and conceded 27, as opposed to the 34 shipped by the current vintage.

Ouch

if this utter deluded, incompetent fuckwit is seriously trying to sell the 'Riviere' is like a new signing line then that is it for me.

I thought the one thing he had was some honesty and decency...

Hound the cunt out till he crumbles and crawls away bleeding from every orifice.