Value For Money Signings

Tooj

Dyer....

No, seriously Gallagher did a good job, but was only a stop gap. Given obviously, Solano obviously, Zoggy so far.

Dyer did a lot more for the club than N'Zogbia has tbf. People write off the good parts but he was a far better young player than any of the kids we have now.

picked up massive pay cheques in the end with no end product and will mostly be remember for throwing away armbands and fighting. A young prospect under robson he was great value never in a million years

7 goals last year wasn't it?

I'll be surprised if his replacement Smith gets that many over the length of his contract here.

rather have a work horse than one who has electric pace but then oh wait my legs arent working again dyer

:lol: Tell me you havent reached your 18th birthday yet please. Then it might make some sense.

sorry to give you a cheap laugh but with having dyslexia I sometimes struggle to be as elequent as some of you but I forgot my quotation marks, point still stands dyer spent too much time on the treatment table in his last 2-3 seasons with us if we didnt get the transfer fee we did from westham and he eventually left on a free I would have still been glad to see the back of him

Dyslexia means you are 18 or not? Just curious.

none of your business is my answer

Pretty much sums up how credible your answer is then. Its tricky to judge things from 8 years ago when you have just realised your knobs for not for just pissing over high walls. Nb: The answer was Barcelona. The game Bellamy feigned injury was Liverpool and the game N'Zogbia walked out on was Watford. As I say, its easier to get a perspective when you were there.

Dyer's best game for me was the Sheff Wed mauling, he was fantastic that game.

Good game, not best game but good goal he scored. Funnily enough its a younger Dyer we could do with now. Or indeed Bellamy, Robert, Speed, Solano or Shearer. The combinations there would batter the fuck out of our midfield and the front two didnt HAVE to rely on service from a midfield that could create chances by the bucket load.

Dyer....

No, seriously Gallagher did a good job, but was only a stop gap. Given obviously, Solano obviously, Zoggy so far.

Dyer did a lot more for the club than N'Zogbia has tbf. People write off the good parts but he was a far better young player than any of the kids we have now.

picked up massive pay cheques in the end with no end product and will mostly be remember for throwing away armbands and fighting. A young prospect under robson he was great value never in a million years

7 goals last year wasn't it?

I'll be surprised if his replacement Smith gets that many over the length of his contract here.

rather have a work horse than one who has electric pace but then oh wait my legs arent working again dyer

:lol: Tell me you havent reached your 18th birthday yet please. Then it might make some sense.

sorry to give you a cheap laugh but with having dyslexia I sometimes struggle to be as elequent as some of you but I forgot my quotation marks, point still stands dyer spent too much time on the treatment table in his last 2-3 seasons with us if we didnt get the transfer fee we did from westham and he eventually left on a free I would have still been glad to see the back of him

Dyslexia means you are 18 or not? Just curious.

none of your business is my answer

Pretty much sums up how credible your answer is then. Its tricky to judge things from 8 years ago when you have just realised your knobs for not for just pissing over high walls. Nb: The answer was Barcelona. The game Bellamy feigned injury was Liverpool and the game N'Zogbia walked out on was Watford. As I say, its easier to get a perspective when you were there.

are you having conversations between yourself I have never mentioned bellamy nore have I mentioned Zoggy and just because I haven't told you my age does not mean that I wasn't old enough I just don't know who the hell you are an why I should answer any personal questions. An its pritty obvious from the thread title you need to look at things such as the whole time a player was at newcastle an as I have already said when dyer was signed under robson much like Jenas and "gulp" bramble they were signed as young talents, and as much as his first few seasons he performed brightly he has always struggled in front of goal and his last few seasons with us were injury plagued. As a balance then over his playing carear I would say he was not value for money and based on how his general performances were on the slide we were lucky westham were throwing money here there and everywhere for us to recoup our money.

I thinking about this earlier on today at work, now we've spent a fortune in recent years on some absolute dross, but over the years how many true value for money signings have we made?

Obviously me only being 22, I'm just speaking from my perspective on what I perceive to be the best value for money signings we've made.

The first name on my list that springs to mind, one Rob Lee.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39316000/jpg/_39316711_lee_203x152gi.jpg

Bought for a bargain £700,000 from Charlton, he gave us everything over his decade at the club. Pedro was without doubt the catalyst for our fantastic form during that first season in The Premiership, but Lee was the bedrock of that.

The best and most consistent midfielder I've seen during my tenure as a supporter , just followed by Speedo. Lee was fantastic for us, a true box to box midfielder, he scored goals, made goals for us, covered many a blade of grass, was an excellent passer of the ball as well.

Then there's this man.

http://dev.football365.co.za/site_images/118739.jpg

This little magician brought us so much over the years, his calming influence on the pitch, his excellent technique, fantastic crossing and set piece ability. A dream for someone like Shearer to play with. The man never seemed to misplace a pass, always knew where to pass it to, made the game easier for those around him, which is always the sign of a good player.

Me dad still always says this man, for the £150,000 we paid for him first time round, you'd struggle to find a better value for signing the club ever made, seeing as he's most likely the greatest player we've ever had in his eyes. Can't say I disagree with him mind, just gutted I never got to see Pedro the first time round.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8840/peterbeardsleygg0.jpg

NE5, Mick, Pie, Rob W etc threads like this is when your inputs are all greatly appreciated.  blueyes.gif

Rob Lee. For the price, pound for pound. Easily. I think between the years 1995-99 he was the best midfield player playing in the premiership bar Roy Keane.

Beardsley was a great player, but he is tainted in my eyes because I saw him wave to the Kop when he was going to Liverpool while wearing a black and white shirt and denied he was going to Liverpool, and then spent his best years playing for someone else ie Liverpool.

Tony Green was the best. He was better than Beardsley. And Gazza too, although he also buggered off. I don't blame him or Beardo wanting to leave but when someone buggers off and spends their best years elsewhere ......

Barry Venison was another inspired Keegan signing. Lots of his early signings were top class. Cole. Kilcline was an inspired signing because he was what was needed at the time, and if we had went down then everything would have been different. Scott Sellars was far better than I thought he was, when he arrived at Newcastle. Only a player like Ginola could have pushed him out.

Shearer may have cost a record transfer, but we had him for his career and he paid every penny of his fee back and more. The tragedy was that the managers he played under didn't sign enough players worthy of him.

Response to nufcjmc:

Just commenting on the flaws in any other players game. See, I can judge your man N'Zogbia and laud his talents without having to dig up daft events to discredit the excellence he showed at other times. Potentially he could do well. As a young player he is nowhere near Dyers level at the same age. I am sure you were aware of that tough. I have studied dyslexia and it has little impact on cognitive processes. If you read my initial post, I mentioned that Dyer was good for us for a long time. However, his time was up long before he left. I'm not sure you have joined up the dots too well though tbh. You just sound like the automaton side of Newcastle-Online pre-programmed to regurgatate the same old s**** despite not having witnessed the full story. I can't abide Craig Bellamy but he did well for us. He left for less money than we paid for him and another poster rightfully pointed out he did well for a spell. Fair point. Fairly sure if he was still here his ego would have tripped his career over a long time ago. Thats perspective forming opinion.  Not fact. Just opinion, however, it is all based on being there and taking all the points in. Not jus the usual s**** we all hear and an awful lot of people giggle at. Many have said Milner was in the same league as Dyer. He couldnt catch him to kick his arse even if Dyer was on a treatment table. To suggest he has played anywhere near the level Dyer did from 99-03 is ludicrous. Likewise, N'Zogbia.

Nb: Bobby nurtured Dyer, Gullit bought him.

I thinking about this earlier on today at work, now we've spent a fortune in recent years on some absolute dross, but over the years how many true value for money signings have we made?

Obviously me only being 22, I'm just speaking from my perspective on what I perceive to be the best value for money signings we've made.

The first name on my list that springs to mind, one Rob Lee.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39316000/jpg/_39316711_lee_203x152gi.jpg

Bought for a bargain £700,000 from Charlton, he gave us everything over his decade at the club. Pedro was without doubt the catalyst for our fantastic form during that first season in The Premiership, but Lee was the bedrock of that.

The best and most consistent midfielder I've seen during my tenure as a supporter , just followed by Speedo. Lee was fantastic for us, a true box to box midfielder, he scored goals, made goals for us, covered many a blade of grass, was an excellent passer of the ball as well.

Then there's this man.

http://dev.football365.co.za/site_images/118739.jpg

This little magician brought us so much over the years, his calming influence on the pitch, his excellent technique, fantastic crossing and set piece ability. A dream for someone like Shearer to play with. The man never seemed to misplace a pass, always knew where to pass it to, made the game easier for those around him, which is always the sign of a good player.

Me dad still always says this man, for the £150,000 we paid for him first time round, you'd struggle to find a better value for signing the club ever made, seeing as he's most likely the greatest player we've ever had in his eyes. Can't say I disagree with him mind, just gutted I never got to see Pedro the first time round.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8840/peterbeardsleygg0.jpg

NE5, Mick, Pie, Rob W etc threads like this is when your inputs are all greatly appreciated.  blueyes.gif

Rob Lee. For the price, pound for pound. Easily. I think between the years 1995-99 he was the best midfield player playing in the premiership bar Roy Keane.

Beardsley was a great player, but he is tainted in my eyes because I saw him wave to the Kop when he was going to Liverpool while wearing a black and white shirt and denied he was going to Liverpool, and then spent his best years playing for someone else ie Liverpool.

Tony Green was the best. He was better than Beardsley. And Gazza too, although he also buggered off. I don't blame him or Beardo wanting to leave but when someone buggers off and spends their best years elsewhere ......

Barry Venison was another inspired Keegan signing. Lots of his early signings were top class. Cole. Kilcline was an inspired signing because he was what was needed at the time, and if we had went down then everything would have been different. Scott Sellars was far better than I thought he was, when he arrived at Newcastle. Only a player like Ginola could have pushed him out.

Shearer may have cost a record transfer, but we had him for his career and he paid every penny of his fee back and more. The tragedy was that the managers he played under didn't sign enough players worthy of him.

Mentioned your love of Tony Green to my Dad. He adores him, as I have mentioned in the past. He did, however, say that Gazza was in a different league to anything Green could manage. Different players apparently but I'll let you two make your own minds up. I was but a bairn when I saw Green and can't really comment. You're right about the rest though. Nb: Paul Bracewell did a hell of a job for us too, as did Kevin Sheedy.

The top value for money has to be Rob Lee though.

Just commenting on the flaws in any other players game. See, I can judge your man N'Zogbia and laud his talents without having to dig up daft events to discredit the excellence he showed at other times. Potentially he could do well. As a young player he is nowhere near Dyers level at the same age. I am sure you were aware of that tough. I have studied dyslexia and it has little impact on cognitive processes. If you read my initial post, I mentioned that Dyer was good for us for a long time. However, his time was up long before he left. I'm not sure you have joined up the dots too well though tbh. You just sound like the automaton side of Newcastle-Online pre-programmed to regurgatate the same old shite despite not having witnessed the full story. I can't abide Craig Bellamy but he did well for us. He left for less money than we paid for him and another poster rightfully pointed out he did well for a spell. Fair point. Fairly sure if he was still here his ego would have tripped his career over a long time ago. Thats perspective forming opinion.  Not fact. Just opinion, however, it is all based on being there and taking all the points in. Not jus the usual shite we all hear and an awful lot of people giggle at. Many have said Milner was in the same league as Dyer. He couldnt catch him to kick his arse even if Dyer was on a treatment table. To suggest he has played anywhere near the level Dyer did from 99-03 is ludicrous. Likewise, N'Zogbia.

all players even the very excellent have flaws, I am not saying this is not the case. Putting a nail in this I just feel that dyer was really supposed to be our attacking midfielder or creative outlet and in that you expect him to create and score a fair few, an maybe this is me only remembering the bad but I can't remember dyer ever scoreing alot of goals, his england carear his never kicked off either now at the age of 28/29 if you look at his toon life as a whole to assess his true value for money he just was not worth it in my very small humble opinion.

Dyer....

Dyer cost a decent fee, plus millions in wages to mostly be injured and score a few goals.

I would already see N'Zogbia as a better value buy, seen as he has not cost us anywhere near as much as Dyer, and don't see how he ever will.

Just commenting on the flaws in any other players game. See, I can judge your man N'Zogbia and laud his talents without having to dig up daft events to discredit the excellence he showed at other times. Potentially he could do well. As a young player he is nowhere near Dyers level at the same age. I am sure you were aware of that tough. I have studied dyslexia and it has little impact on cognitive processes. If you read my initial post, I mentioned that Dyer was good for us for a long time. However, his time was up long before he left. I'm not sure you have joined up the dots too well though tbh. You just sound like the automaton side of Newcastle-Online pre-programmed to regurgatate the same old s**** despite not having witnessed the full story. I can't abide Craig Bellamy but he did well for us. He left for less money than we paid for him and another poster rightfully pointed out he did well for a spell. Fair point. Fairly sure if he was still here his ego would have tripped his career over a long time ago. Thats perspective forming opinion.  Not fact. Just opinion, however, it is all based on being there and taking all the points in. Not jus the usual s**** we all hear and an awful lot of people giggle at. Many have said Milner was in the same league as Dyer. He couldnt catch him to kick his arse even if Dyer was on a treatment table. To suggest he has played anywhere near the level Dyer did from 99-03 is ludicrous. Likewise, N'Zogbia.

all players even the very excellent have flaws, I am not saying this is not the case. Putting a nail in this I just feel that dyer was really supposed to be our attacking midfielder or creative outlet and in that you expect him to create and score a fair few, an maybe this is me only remembering the bad but I can't remember dyer ever scoreing alot of goals, his england carear his never kicked off either now at the age of 28/29 if you look at his toon life as a whole to assess his true value for money he just was not worth it in my very small humble opinion.

Thats one perspective. Mine is that he did more than enough in his first 5 years to be worth the fee we paid. The point remains that we still havent replaced him btw. If we settle for the 'hard working' types like Milner and Smith as adequate replacements for what Bellmay, Dyer, Solano and Robert could do then we are asking for trouble. Talent is the key. Worry about the other stuff after watching a few goals, attacking play with real end product (yes, it did happen!) then  compare with the current lots abilities. No comparison, I'm afraid. Question: did Laurent Robert offer more in 2 years than the likes of the hard working Smith and Milner ever will? Which would you have irrepective of position?

Dyer....

Dyer cost a decent fee, plus millions in wages to mostly be injured and score a few goals.

I would already see N'Zogbia as a better value buy, seen as he has not cost us anywhere near as much as Dyer, and don't see how he ever will.

didnt we only end up paying a 200-300k for zoggy as compensation to la harve?

Dyer....

About right. He'll be fine. Could be decent if he keeps progressing.  Go on then, answer it man, Robert or the 'hard working' Milner or Smith? Not looking at their positions, just what they contributed.

Thats one perspective. Mine is that he did more than enough in his first 5 years to be worth the fee we paid. The point remains that we still havent replaced him btw. If we settle for the 'hard working' types like Milner and Smith as adequate replacements for what Bellmay, Dyer, Solano and Robert could do then we are asking for trouble. Talent is the key. Worry about the other stuff after watching a few goals, attacking play with real end product (yes, it did happen!) then  compare with the current lots abilities. No comparison, I'm afraid. Question: did Laurent Robert offer more in 2 years than the likes of the hard working Smith and Milner ever will? Which would you have irrepective of position?

some good points and to be honest its a real tough one to say as I think it depends on formation/style of play/ home or away and oposition. Litterally because I believe you need the creative or pacy players which no doubt is robert,bellamy and to an extent dyer. Thing is you cannot play souly on flair alone as proved a few seasons ago when we played arsenal at home we basically bullied them and knocked them about which is where the milner's and smiths of this world come in. You need the worker the grafter player to just keep it simple and to grind out a result. As you remember robert used to let play pass him by unless he had the ball to his feet, never used to mark and hardly tracked back which in todays game you would just be punished for. I really can't choose as if I am honest we need both them right now and see to only have one type available in the squad.

Dyer....

About right. He'll be fine. Could be decent if he keeps progressing.  Go on then, answer it man, Robert or the 'hard working' Milner or Smith? Not looking at their positions, just what they contributed.

I still haven't forgotten this...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=44359.msg976811#msg976811

Todays game is very little different from the ones Robert played in. We have none of the flair that those players brought, or indeed the attributes they offered. Thats why I'd say Robert offered better value for money than Milner or Smith ever will. Despite his flaws. Its about winning as well as entertaining, and despite the frustration he brought about, he could be brilliant. Rather watch one game of that than 10 of hard work.

Todays game is very little different from the ones Robert played in. We have none of the flair that those players brought, or indeed the attributes they offered. Thats why I'd say Robert offered better value for money than Milner or Smith ever will. Despite his flaws. Its about winning as well as entertaining, and despite the frustration he brought about, he could be brilliant. Rather watch one game of that than 10 of hard work.

Agree completely.  The things Robert was good at are far more important than the things Smith & Milner are praised for.

Dyer....

I still haven't forgotten this...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=44359.msg976811#msg976811

Unbelievable isnt it?

which is where I was leading to really as I worry that our midfield has lost any edge or creativity there needs to be options to throw on players to graft away for you no worries and there will be times you need to start or put on wild cards which is what robert was famous for basically little to nothing all game then an act of brilliance on the whole though for 10.5 million robert cost us you would have expected really to have a much rounder player in the sense has a creative flair but still has the basic skills to play as a unit and track back , mark and defend where nessacary which sadly was not in his game at all.

On his day Robert was unplayable. Despite their better attitude and work ethic, neither Milner nor Smith will ever be unplayable.

Money well spent and it's a shame we didn't claw more back when Souness peddled him for next to nowt.

the father agreed with Rob Lee when I asked, however, he also threw this mans name into the hat, although he can't remember how much we paid for him...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/mattcobb/davidkelly.jpg

something like 35 goals in 70 games and key in helping us gain promotion to the promised land....

I think he had a point

On his day Robert was unplayable. Despite their better attitude and work ethic, neither Milner nor Smith will ever be unplayable.

Money well spent and it's a shame we didn't claw more back when Souness peddled him for next to nowt.

That whole post could also be talking about Bellamy.

That whole post could also be talking about Bellamy.

Concurred.  blueyes.gif