A draw is the result we were looking for from the start

Dave

I'm sure I heard Allardyce say this on Sky. Can anyone confirm? I'm on my phone so it might be mentioned in the match thread.

Worrying attitude if so tbh, it's bad enough against shit teams but against our biggest rivals?!

playing for a draw is a horrible way to go about almost any match, home or away. Maybe away to the top 4, playing in a shell is acceptable, but with the squad we have we should be able to challenge every other team in the league. And if we set out to get a draw, then thats the best we can do, but with a higher percentage of losing.  Play aggressively and attack minded and you are much more likely to get a result, and actually have a chance of winning. Plus, against fucking sunderland?

What do you want him to say? We should win this no problem, he said we hope to come away with some sort of result like most managers say pre match.

You GO for a win, but a draw would still be welcome. This isn't going 1-0 up and being fairly happy if it ended 1-1.

When you set out to draw.. your likely to loose 1-0.

With our lack of pace upfront, setting counter attacks are also very difficult.

What do you want him to say? We should win this no problem, he said we hope to come away with some sort of result like most managers say pre match.

You GO for a win, but a draw would still be welcome. This isn't going 1-0 up and being fairly happy if it ended 1-1.

Your missing the point, what he says infront of the cameras and to the team are two completely different things.

Your missing the point, what he says infront of the cameras and to the team are two completely different things.

Funny how the players play according to what he says to the cameras, rather than to what you're alleging he says to the team.

From the days since the Keegan years (maybe even the Ardiles days), when we have been famously weak at the back and been the best comedy on TV, I always wanted a Newcastle team that was capable of, when required, being strong defensively.

The way I look at it is that Allardyce is trying to instil a mentality of that defensive strength. If that entails playing most games away from home this season looking for draws then that has to be accepted as part of the learning and training process.

Yes, its not working at the moment and its just not good to watch but if we ever want a Newcastle team that is capable of showing strength, then we have to go through the learning process.

It surely is going to be better than Keegans quick fix attempt of bringing Mark Lawrenson in

From the days since the Keegan years (maybe even the Ardiles days), when we have been famously weak at the back and been the best comedy on TV, I always wanted a Newcastle team that was capable of, when required, being strong defensively.

The way I look at it is that Allardyce is trying to instil a mentality of that defensive strength. If that entails playing most games away from home this season looking for draws then that has to be accepted as part of the learning and training process.

Yes, its not working at the moment and its just not good to watch but if we ever want a Newcastle team that is capable of showing strength, then we have to go through the learning process.

It surely is going to be better than Keegans quick fix attempt of bringing Mark Lawrenson in

:clap: top post.

Newcastle didn't have a poor defence when Keegan was manager.

Not asking for his head here, i want him to stay by all means BUT:

What the fuck is with this going to Reading, Derby and now Sunderland and playing for a draw? its fucking ridiculous, ive seen some of the most uncreative football at NUFC this season that ive seen in a long time. We were so good at home when we beat Spurs, Everton and when we played away at Bolton. Where the fuck has that form gone? Fucking forget about this away day draw shit and start playing games for the win ffs!!!!

It was our worst part of the team though.

It was our worst part of the team though.

The answer wasn't setting up defensively aiming for the draw away from home.

Maybe poor was the incorrect word but we were renound for not being very strong there and were prone to making costly mistakes. a la that last minute goal at Liverpool when everyone left Collymore unmarked at the back post.

Ultimately, it was our defensive frailties that cost is the title that year (Blackburn  :weep:)

since then the reputatrion has just grown and grown

Negative tactics and team selections are a naive way to go about picking up clean sheets IMO, it's more of a last resort for teams fighting relegation. Teams with good away records usually try to keep the ball and frustrate the home crowd, while having players who can hit them on the break, because most home teams are under pressure to come out of their shell and leave gaps of 30+ yards in their own half. Leaving your quickest player on the bench when you lack any pace and lashing the ball 60 yards to the forwards is not the way to go about it, because they will just keep coming back at you again and again. Without possession or players who can exploit the higher line that home teams play, you will not relieve the pressure on your own defence. And without a real target man most of your long balls just hand possession straight back to the opposition. That's what happened today, it's what happened at Reading and to some extent it also happened at Derby and Man City. When you play negative tactics you are playing with matches because your asking your defence to cope with massive amounts of pressure. We were bloody lucky to get anything out of this game and very lucky we only conceded once. We cleared one off the line, another hit the bar.

I doubt anyone knew what our gameplan was today. Allardyce may lay the blame with his players for that, but he put them out of position for a massive game.