A draw is the result we were looking for from the start

Dave

What do you want him to say? We should win this no problem, he said we hope to come away with some sort of result like most managers say pre match.

You GO for a win, but a draw would still be welcome. This isn't going 1-0 up and being fairly happy if it ended 1-1.

When you set out to draw.. your likely to loose 1-0.

With our lack of pace upfront, setting counter attacks are also very difficult.

Your missing the point, what he says infront of the cameras and to the team are two completely different things.

elaborate please

What do you want him to say? We should win this no problem, he said we hope to come away with some sort of result like most managers say pre match.

You GO for a win, but a draw would still be welcome. This isn't going 1-0 up and being fairly happy if it ended 1-1.

Your missing the point, what he says infront of the cameras and to the team are two completely different things.

elaborate please

He means, Sam tells the media that we are going for a draw. But tells the players to attack and go for the win. The players then proceed to play defensively, hoping for a draw.

Logical conclusion me thinks.

From the days since the Keegan years (maybe even the Ardiles days), when we have been famously weak at the back and been the best comedy on TV, I always wanted a Newcastle team that was capable of, when required, being strong defensively.

The way I look at it is that Allardyce is trying to instil a mentality of that defensive strength. If that entails playing most games away from home this season looking for draws then that has to be accepted as part of the learning and training process.

Yes, its not working at the moment and its just not good to watch but if we ever want a Newcastle team that is capable of showing strength, then we have to go through the learning process.

It surely is going to be better than Keegans quick fix attempt of bringing Mark Lawrenson in

Newcastle didn't have a poor defence when Keegan was manager.

It was our worst part of the team though.

Finished 2nd though. Which we will probably never do for atleast 10 years now.

Cant see the sense in playing for a point against your biggest rivals and the likes of Derby just because you are away from home. Look at the players we have compared to these teams, surely no-one thinks that we are not capable of beating these teams away? I'm not saying we should go out and attack these teams from the first minute until the last but we certainly have players capable of winning games like this on the break but our negative tactics so far this season havent allowed us to do this. It will surely improve with time but its frustrating to see right now.

If thats what he wants to do and its all part of his grand total points plan that he allegedly has (and had at Bolton) then I guess we will just have to wait and see at the end of the season where he gets us.

The biggest problem I have with it is that he is limiting himself and the team. They are capable of winning these games, but the mentality he sends them out with is almost the equivalent of tying their bootlaces together at times.

elaborate please

He means, Sam tells the media that we are going for a draw. But tells the players to attack and go for the win. The players then proceed to play defensively, hoping for a draw.

Bunch of retards on this board, it's common talk from most managers, they hardly ever come out and say we should win especially in away games because that's setting them up for criticism straight away if it doesn't come off.

Im getting really pissed off with big Sam and his so called tactics.

Playing people in the wrong positions will get us no fuckin where good at all.

As people are saying, yes I am delighted we got a point but the way we set out to play the game was quite simply pathetic.

Playing for a draw is a fucking disgrace.

AAAARRRRRgggggghhhhhhh!

:tickedoff:

Thankfully I am quite optimistic he will be sacked after 1 season.

Clueeless prick with clueless tactics.

What the F*CK will sacking another manager after 1 season do, fucking hell, the reason we struggle at times is fans expect a quick fix overnight, its not going to happen and certainly isn't going to happen when we only have two transfer windows a year!

We need to have a 5 year plan, keep sam in let him have a real bite of the cherry, Sack him after one season then where do we go? get another manager in trying to install his tactics, getting rid of the previous managers players, bringing his own in and having to make them gel, all for us not to get a top 6 position and for people to call for his head and possibly get the chop!!

I was watching a little clip on sky sports website the other day and they were saying that basically we need to have a 5 year plan. Give allardyce some security, if we have not improved by the end of a 5 year plan then look to change things around.

Sacking Allardyce at the end of this season is not just a massive knee jerk but its recipe for disaster!

So Souness and Roeder should have had 5 years each to cement their plan then aye?  Have a word.

Sometimes it is just a case of hiring the wrong person.  The person who brought in Allardyce is no longer at the club, maybe Ashley has his own ideas on who he would like to be manager - he ain't going to stand for the dogshit football we are playing.

What do you mean have a word, most people cringed when Souness was appointed and Roeder was kept on as full time manager mainly because both were poor managers At least With Allardyce you know you're getting a manager who, if given time and the freedom to birng in who he wants will get you up the table.

To be completely honest i couldnt give a fuck if we play bad football as long as we get the points and as was said earlier in this post, if this is part of our learning curve, then so be it.

Yeah Allardyce was brought in before the Ashley era but he's here now, Mort has said that he will go against the norm of sacking a manager too soon and thats news to my ears to be honest.

Guest andynufc84

Thankfully I am quite optimistic he will be sacked after 1 season.

Clueeless prick with clueless tactics.

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say imo.

elaborate please

Bunch of retards on this board, it's common talk from most managers, they hardly ever come out and say we should win especially in away games because that's setting them up for criticism straight away if it doesn't come off.

You have no point to your sentiments.

BS said (at least against Reading) we'd go there looking for a draw and perhaps nick a goal. We played exactly like that. You can't argue with that. Perhaps if he said that and we had given Reading a real game, looked threatening, created chances then you would have a point.

But you don't.

So shut up.

It's about attitude not the result.

elaborate please

BS said (at least against Reading) we'd go there looking for a draw and perhaps nick a goal. We played exactly like that. You can't argue with that. Perhaps if he said that and we had given Reading a real game, looked threatening, created chances then you would have a point.

But you don't.

So shut up.

He could come out and say we're going to win 3-0 every game if that makes people feel better, does that show ambition then? He's being realistic, he said we'd go to Reading (who aren't a bad side at home) and try get a result, we played shit... get over it, i'm sure if we went for it and conceded heavily then it would be "Shit tactics again, too attacking leaving ourselves exposed at back" Allardyce is trying to get results the best way he knows how.. but of course attitude is more important than results isn't it? wrong, so you shut up  :thup:

It was another game where we went out with a fearful attitude against a side which barely deserves to be playing in the same division. What was interesting was that while we were on level terms and playing fearfully and defensively, they could have scored 6. When we went behind and were allowed out of our shells, they looked the second-rate buch of try-hards that they are. Someon mentioned Keegan's defensive weaknesses, and unlike Mick I recognise that this was a fact. But that was against top sides, also-rans like Derby, Reading and Sunderland were generally brushed aside without a second thought. Fancy worrying about these cloggers when they are the ones who would be cacking their pants if we played a team with pace and skill the likes of which they couldn't cope with.

elaborate please

But you don't.

So shut up.

He could come out and say we're going to win 3-0 every game if that makes people feel better, does that show ambition then? He's being realistic, he said we'd go to Reading (who aren't a bad side at home) and try get a result, we played s***... get over it, i'm sure if we went for it and conceded heavily then it would be "s*** tactics again, too attacking leaving ourselves exposed at back" Allardyce is trying to get results the best way he knows how.. but of course attitude is more important than results isn't it? wrong, so you shut up  :thup:

:rolleyes:

He can say whatever he likes, that doesn't show ambition. Playing like you want to win does.

Your talking with a vast amount of ifs and maybes.

When you play crap football repeatedly (like we have) the results will inevitably catch. I hope you understand this simple little concept.

Sam's idea of trying to get a result is attempting to thwart the opposition and play defensively. This hasn't worked. It's small club mentality in its purist form.

Reading are a decent team, Derby aren't. Both have weak defenses and we rarely troubled either.

Portsmouth (or even Everton) didn't to SJP with the mentality we take to teams whose aim is to avoid relegation.

Your acting as if these tactics have ever looked like working on any kind of consistent basis for us.

It was another game where we went out with a fearful attitude against a side which barely deserves to be playing in the same division. What was interesting was that while we were on level terms and playing fearfully and defensively, they could have scored 6. When we went behind and were allowed out of our shells, they looked the second-rate buch of try-hards that they are. Someon mentioned Keegan's defensive weaknesses, and unlike Mick I recognise that this was a fact. But that was against top sides, also-rans like Derby, Reading and Sunderland were generally brushed aside without a second thought. Fancy worrying about these cloggers when they are the ones who would be cacking their pants if we played a team with pace and skill the likes of which they couldn't cope with.

Why are you thinking about minor things like performances?

Why are you thinking about minor things like performances?

Because it relates to what happened at relevant periods of the game.

It was another game where we went out with a fearful attitude against a side wghich barely deserves to be playing in the same division. What was interesting was that while we were on level terms and playing fearfully and defensively, they could have scored 6. When we went behind and were allowed out of our shells, they looked the second-rate buch of try-hards that they are. Someon mentioned Keegan's defensive weaknesses, and unlike Mick I recognise that this was a fact. But that was against top sides, also-rans like Derby, Reading and Sunderland were generally brushed aside without a second thought. Fancy worrying about these cloggers when they are the ones who would be cacking their pants if we played a team with pace and skill the likes of which they couldn't cope with.

This is exactly it, we should be going out to beat these teams. We have the players to attack and scare opponents, if they weren't hobbled by the manager's negative mindset.

I'll give Sam time, but I'm not happy at all with his attitude to away games.

The trouble with playing for draws is our lack of cohesion at the back. Reading should have beaten us out of sight last time out before "we" scored and sunderland could have murdered us today if they weren't absolutely fucking shit - if this is happening against the dross, God help us when we go to Old Trafford and the Emirates. Derby aside, it's not like we're going for draws, getting beat 1-0 with a fluke and creating nowt, it's that we're doing that (not today obviously but in general) but we're leaking chances in bucketfuls.

That unfortunately is to be expected with a shiny new back four, of our five new defenders only one of them has played in this league before so to just bring them all in blind to a new club, send them out and then tell the rest of the team to invite as much pressure onto the new defence as possible is absolutely mental. Until they're fully settled as a unit, no matter who the personnel or the opposition are, we should be taking pressure off the poor buggers. As it is, they're making mistakes as individuals and as a back four and this is damaging confidence.

The trouble with playing for draws is our lack of cohesion at the back. Reading should have beaten us out of sight last time out before "we" scored and sunderland could have murdered us today if they weren't absolutely f****** s*** - if this is happening against the dross, God help us when we go to Old Trafford and the Emirates. Derby aside, it's not like we're going for draws, getting beat 1-0 with a fluke and creating nowt, it's that we're doing that (not today obviously but in general) but we're leaking chances in bucketfuls.

That unfortunately is to be expected with a shiny new back four, of our five new defenders only one of them has played in this league before so to just bring them all in blind to a new club, send them out and then tell the rest of the team to invite as much pressure onto the new defence as possible is absolutely mental. Until they're fully settled as a unit, no matter who the personnel or the opposition are, we should be taking pressure off the poor buggers. As it is, they're making mistakes as individuals and as a back four and this is damaging confidence.

Sam hasn't helped by not being able to decide the back-four for a consistent period of time. Even rafa can manage that.

The trouble with playing for draws is our lack of cohesion at the back. Reading should have beaten us out of sight last time out before "we" scored and sunderland could have murdered us today if they weren't absolutely f****** s*** - if this is happening against the dross, God help us when we go to Old Trafford and the Emirates. Derby aside, it's not like we're going for draws, getting beat 1-0 with a fluke and creating nowt, it's that we're doing that (not today obviously but in general) but we're leaking chances in bucketfuls.

Sam hasn't helped by not being able to decide the back-four for a consistent period of time. Even rafa can manage that.

I know, I said the same in the other thread, it's crazy. You're always going to have make changes through injury but over the last two games, he's changed for the sake of it. Love to know his justification for dropping Beye last week and Enrique this.