England women are on £16k...

Dave

Aye, it's just compensation for loss of earnings. Like Aluko said

Players had to take unpaid leave and some are now not able to sustain training because they don't have the time because of the money lost in China

If they are serious about improving the women's game then it is essential to at least compensate to the level of earnings that the players lost, and comparable to Sweden or USA, otherwise the hours missed in training will always hold the game back in this country.

In other words they could earn more in an office, so where is the incentive? (Obviously wanting to play is one thing, but survival is another)

£16k for playing non-professional football?

Doesn't sound bad to me.

It's not 16k though. That's what it would work out at, IF they played the world cup all year. (Which they obviously don't)

It was £40 a day for the world cup, which in a lot of cases would not cover loss of earnings.

£16k for playing non-professional football?

Doesn't sound bad to me.

It's not 16k though. That's what it would work out at, IF they played the world cup all year. (Which they obviously don't)

It was £40 a day for the world cup, which in a lot of cases would not cover loss of earnings.

If I wanted to take 2 weeks off to play football I wouldn't get compensated at all! (as a point my company has a 'world cup' and we have to pay for all travel and take holiday/unpaid leave to participate in it)

And before anyone starts, I agree that what they get is pitiful, but it is still an amateur game and therefore they should be rewarded appropriately (i.e not with very much).

The only way the salary should increase is for the game to go professional and generate sufficient income to cover a central contracted wage - btw I reckon that a professional Womens game would have a sufficient audience to do so.

So yes its a poor wage for representing your country, but is appropriate for the current standing of the game

Look at the caption of that picture on that article.

"Aluko took home £1,400 for five weeks at the World Cup"

That is absolutely rediculous. £1400 for a 5 week all expenses paid trip to China. They don't come close to deserving that sort of money, the standard of womens football is beyond awful (the media coverage they get is so disproportionate its unreal btw). And she has the cheek to come home and say they deserve more. FFS. If they think they deserve more they must be fucking mental (Well, they're women...). Maybe they ought to start off by playing better instead of expecting free money by divine right. Embarrasing.

The men don't get paid do they ? Well there clubs might still pay them but England don't therefore the woman are getting more than the men surely ?

I can't remember when the story was out but I can remember reading about England players giving up their money which they got for an international match about 2 or 3 years ago and given the money instead to a charity.

I didn't expect they got more than that.  They're only semi-proffesional i think, so have other jobs.

but they had to take time off work (unpaid) to go to the world cup, that's the point.

Now they have to work extra to catch up the money.

Therefore they are falling behind Sweden and the USA, which are also semi proffessional, but get compensated better.

I didn't expect they got more than that.  They're only semi-proffesional i think, so have other jobs.

but they had to take time off work (unpaid) to go to the world cup, that's the point.

Now they have to work extra to catch up the money.

Therefore they are falling behind Sweden and the USA, which are also semi proffessional, but get compensated better.

Yes, sorry, I see that now.  They should be covered for losses, but apart from that I'd say a wage in the low teens is fair enough.

Guest trainer

Well said the standard is completely and uttely dog shit

Look at the caption of that picture on that article.

"Aluko took home £1,400 for five weeks at the World Cup"

That is absolutely rediculous. £1400 for a 5 week all expenses paid trip to China. They don't come close to deserving that sort of money, the standard of womens football is beyond awful (the media coverage they get is so disproportionate its unreal btw). And she has the cheek to come home and say they deserve more. FFS. If they think they deserve more they must be f****** mental (Well, they're women...). Maybe they ought to start off by playing better instead of expecting free money by divine right. Embarrasing.

Went to an amateur (in every conceivable sense of the word) woman's football game (friend of mine was playing) and by the grace of zeus, it was an appalling display.

4-4-2? 4-3-3?

Nope, it was fucking 11 banshees on either side chasing after a ball