Thigh muscle tear for Owen, out for a month+

Guest nufc 4 life

Can you all just give it a f****** rest please?

This bickering is tiresome at best, and will result in people being banned. f****** sick of it, and I'm not the only one.

Aimed at everyone btw, you all know who you are.

Well, Dave. It is a response to Mick complaining about us buying Owen, I didn't see him predicting what he said was "predictable". Dare I say that its jus a swipe at the board ? Unless Mick says otherwise, and admits it was simply a case of buying a quality player, which the vast majority of people were happy with, in which case I would retract my response.

Do you not think my request to name these "trophy" players - assuming they think Owen is one and is not the only one - is relevant to the thread ?

I've stated my case. I think the club simply cannot be castigated in any shape or form for buying top class quality players. Who has a problem with this statement ?

The problem is that you've stated your case over and over and over and over and over and over again, and frankly, the entire forum is sick of reading the same s*** argument in practically every other thread.

The bickering is so f****** tedious that it defies belief, so either keep it in one f****** place or just take it somewhere else altogether.

Absolutely, and I seem to remember having seen an Admin giving a last warning yesterday around this time in this very same thread (reactions have (un)fortunately been deleted), so I'm looking forward to a much improved forum shortly where when you open a thread it might actually be about the topic you expected...

So. Who do you think we will replace Owen with if he goes ?

The way I see it we've already got a better player for Owen's position in Martins. Now we need to find somebody to play alongside him. I had high hopes for a Martins/Owen partnershup but seeing as none of our players bar Emre seem capable to keep the ball down and provide through balls for those two to run onto the new partner will have to be somebody with the ball both in the air and on the ground and somebody we can rely on scoring a good 15 goals a season. These players are obviously hard to come by, but we can´t go too wrong with somebody like Anelka or maybe Crouch.

Martins is not in the same class as Owen, or the Owen we bought, and one or two spectacular pot shots won't change that, and neither does it make up for far too many disappearing acts either.

Can you enlighten me about the difference in class between Owen and Martins? For me, a big part of this supposed difference is nationality. Owen is horribly overrated, because he is English and you don't have too many class forwards. That's why he is an automatic pick for England, whether he's fit or not. He wouldn't get a look in with France, Brazil, Argentina or Holland, because in the past 3 years he has done nothing to warrant being called world class at all.. Now I can see Martins isn't world class (yet), but with him there is a small chance he will be in the future (which is what counts, isn't it?) given the right coaching. In the meantime he provides us with far more than Owen does (at this point in time)..

Not suprising any more. He's not the player he was anyway, and I doubt we'll miss him much. When was the last time he did anything decent for us? Glad Oba will get a chance now, though whether he'll take it or not is another subject.

The sooner Owen leaves the better. We have a striker on £120k a week who will play a maximum of 20 league games a season, scoring no more than 10.

This bickering is tiresome at best, and will result in people being banned. f****** sick of it, and I'm not the only one.

Well, Dave. It is a response to Mick complaining about us buying Owen, I didn't see him predicting what he said was "predictable". Dare I say that its jus a swipe at the board ? Unless Mick says otherwise, and admits it was simply a case of buying a quality player, which the vast majority of people were happy with, in which case I would retract my response.

Do you not think my request to name these "trophy" players - assuming they think Owen is one and is not the only one - is relevant to the thread ?

I've stated my case. I think the club simply cannot be castigated in any shape or form for buying top class quality players. Who has a problem with this statement ?

The problem is that you've stated your case over and over and over and over and over and over again, and frankly, the entire forum is sick of reading the same s*** argument in practically every other thread.

The bickering is so f****** tedious that it defies belief, so either keep it in one f****** place or just take it somewhere else altogether.

Absolutely, and I seem to remember having seen an Admin giving a last warning yesterday around this time in this very same thread (reactions have (un)fortunately been deleted), so I'm looking forward to a much improved forum shortly where when you open a thread it might actually be about the topic you expected...

The way I see it we've already got a better player for Owen's position in Martins. Now we need to find somebody to play alongside him. I had high hopes for a Martins/Owen partnershup but seeing as none of our players bar Emre seem capable to keep the ball down and provide through balls for those two to run onto the new partner will have to be somebody with the ball both in the air and on the ground and somebody we can rely on scoring a good 15 goals a season. These players are obviously hard to come by, but we can´t go too wrong with somebody like Anelka or maybe Crouch.

Martins is not in the same class as Owen, or the Owen we bought, and one or two spectacular pot shots won't change that, and neither does it make up for far too many disappearing acts either.

Can you enlighten me about the difference in class between Owen and Martins? For me, a big part of this supposed difference is nationality. Owen is horribly overrated, because he is English and you don't have too many class forwards. That's why he is an automatic pick for England, whether he's fit or not. He wouldn't get a look in with France, Brazil, Argentina or Holland, because in the past 3 years he has done nothing to warrant being called world class at all.. Now I can see Martins isn't world class (yet), but with him there is a small chance he will be in the future (which is what counts, isn't it?) given the right coaching. In the meantime he provides us with far more than Owen does (at this point in time)..

you're not English ?

Martins scores pot shots, he misses easy chances - too many. The best strikers are the best strikers because they score close in ie they have the "dead eye" finishing ability. The best teams are the best teams because they create more opportunities close to goal, so it's all part of the picture. It is nice to see the odd pot shot go in ie away to Spurs last season, but if you want a good team getting consistent results you need players who perform like this, especially in the central positions, or the result is inconsistency.

Martins has more pace, that is true, and I like the way he shows desire to win the ball and run at people, but he just goes missing far too often to be a top player. You can talk about ability, and Kieron Dyer has ability, but its how often you produce what counts. The players with talent and ability are the players who produce it consistently. I've yet to see any evidence from Martins that he will do this, ever. I obviously hope I'm wrong and he matures and becomes a consistently high quality player in a black and white shirt.

I don't disagree with you saying Crouch would be a good player for us mind, realistically people like Drogba are out of the running, but Crouch is a good player, he brings people into the game, and he will score goals.

you're not English ?

Martins scores pot shots, he misses easy chances - too many. The best strikers are the best strikers because they score close in ie they have the "dead eye" finishing ability. The best teams are the best teams because they create more opportunities close to goal, so it's all part of the picture. It is nice to see the odd pot shot go in ie away to Spurs last season, but if you want a good team getting consistent results you need players who perform like this, especially in the central positions, or the result is inconsistency.

Martins has more pace, that is true, and I like the way he shows desire to win the ball and run at people, but he just goes missing far too often to be a top player. You can talk about ability, and Kieron Dyer has ability, but its how often you produce what counts. The players with talent and ability are the players who produce it consistently. I've yet to see any evidence from Martins that he will do this, ever. I obviously hope I'm wrong and he matures and becomes a consistently high quality player in a black and white shirt.

I don't disagree with you saying Crouch would be a good player for us mind, realistically people like Drogba are out of the running, but Crouch is a good player, he brings people into the game, and he will score goals.

Martins has been needed mainly cause our midfield is rarely in contact with the attack.

NE5, agree with everything you say here, but what's your analysis on Owen, the current one I mean, the one we have over here? Even disregarding his injury problems, he has missed a lot of easy chances for us, mainly this season, and he certainly hasn't delivered consistently.. I think you are not giving Martins enough credit by saying he scores the odd pot shot. He's been our most consistent goal scorer since he's arrived here. You're right in saying the team doesn't create enough chanced for the strikers, but Martins has shown that he can create chances himself as well. What's to say he won't score more goals if the team provide more chances, as you suggest will be the case with Owen..?

NE5, agree with everything you say here, but what's your analysis on Owen, the current one I mean, the one we have over here? Even disregarding his injury problems, he has missed a lot of easy chances for us, mainly this season, and he certainly hasn't delivered consistently.. I think you are not giving Martins enough credit by saying he scores the odd pot shot. He's been our most consistent goal scorer since he's arrived here. You're right in saying the team doesn't create enough chanced for the strikers, but Martins has shown that he can create chances himself as well. What's to say he won't score more goals if the team provide more chances, as you suggest will be the case with Owen..?

They are both suffering because of a lack of support ie numbers around them. It may be that Owen has lost some pace, I don't really know, he's still feeling his way back from a major injury and others which added to it, he isn't anywhere near full match fitness. You never lose goalscoring ability though, it may be that he will have to adapt his game, it may be that he needs different players around him - Shearer suffered the same under Gullit then became more like the Shearer of old under Robson for similar reasons. Don't get me wrong, I like Martins when he plays well, and shows that hunger to win the ball and run at people, but neither of them have a partner that is suitable to them. Neither Viduka or Owen is particularly mobile so it becomes more obvious. Martins has an unpredictable streak in him, and although he can create some chances for himself, the other side of the coin is that he can be too much of an individual. I know he has value, don't get me wrong, his goals last season kept us up, but the player he is now - at this moment - has to become more focussed, more often, more clinical, and hold his head up and look around him if he is going to become a top player.

I think we are in agreement. Anybody saying we will not miss Owen in the next 4-6 weeks needs a reality check though. We are only one more injury away from having Shola in or around our first team.. That's not to say I think Owen is somebody who has a future here or we should build a team around..

I think we are in agreement. Anybody saying we will not miss Owen in the next 4-6 weeks needs a reality check though. We are only one more injury away from having Shola in or around our first team.. That's not to say I think Owen is somebody who has a future here or we should build a team around..

I don't really think that Owen has messed Newcastle around, or isn't committed to the club, I think he has wanted to play as many games as possible for Newcastle and England. The thing now is that he has never really "became" a Newcastle player because of these injuries, and from the clubs point of view, I'm sure he would accept the fact that constantly being injured is no good to us.

Its a bit of a shame, but thats football. I think now we should look to the future without him and accept that he is either going to go, or hardly going to play.

There was a time when comparing Owen and Martins would have been laughable. But we have to come to terms with the fact that the Owen we have now is not the same Owen who scored a hat-trick past us or scored that wondergoal against Argentina.

When he first came here and scored 7 in 10 games or whatever, he still had that burst of pace which made him so dangerous in and around the box. For a few months it was starting to look like money well spent. That hat-trick against West Ham showed how difficult he was to defend against, and we were poor in that game as well. But after pretty much 18 months out of the game he's come back and he's easier to defend against, he hasn't got that burst of acceleration to nick half a yard and get a shot off. We need to be feeding him balls he can hit first time but we don't seem capable. He'll still get goals because he's a world class finisher with excellent movement and I dare say for a team like Man Utd who set up chances and get the ball in the penalty area constantly he'd bang loads in if he stayed fit. But he can't stay fit and he's in a struggling team. An injury-prone goal-hanger like him looks increasingly like a luxury a club like us just can't afford.

Martins has some shocking games where nothing goes right for him, he's an awkward player there's no doubt about that. But he's willing to work the channels, come deep and link up with play, he has that burst of pace which worries defenders and he is very strong for his size.

You get the feeling Owen has been picked recently on his reputation alone, and we've been waiting on him to hit form. The service has been absolutely awful and it's not that our strikers are misfiring but more that there is noone supplying the bullets. But despite all that, just watching his general play it's sad to say but he will never be the same player he once was. Two major injuries in a row have taken their toll. Some people rightly predicted that his transfer was a risk and putting all our eggs in one basket, but nobody could have predicted that he would go missing for 18 months and would suffer more injuries than he has ever known. We've just been f*cking unlucky, us and Owen. Nobody could have imagined his transfer would go this badly.

Martins nowadays looks more likely to carve a goal out of nothing when the service is so poor, because he can beat defenders to loose balls and use his strength to fend them off. In a team playing good football I'd rather have Owen but in this team I'd rather have Martins.

From both ours and Mickey's perspective, we are both knackered.

Who on earth would buy him.

We have to focus on the fact that he is going to be with us for a while until such time he maintains some level of consistency with his fitness. Hopefully in that time, the team develops on the pitch to a point that he feels he would like to stay

Well I said after his last injury he'd just break down again with another similar one and here we are again. Does anyone in the NUFC physiotherapy department have any idea about the root cause of injuries, or do they just worry about fixing them and shoving them back out on the park again asap?

What a laugh. We're paying this guy 100k a week and we are too stingy to send him off to a world class biomech lab to get his body analysed to find out what is wrong with him and causing these strains.

Newsflash for NUFC physio team: Repeated strains and injuries in one area indicate a weakness somewhere else in the body, leading to muscles like the groin/hamstring having too much to do and hence breaking down. Fixing the strain will not fix the problem. Did any of them even go to university or did they all major in 'shoving players back onto the park for the gaffer a week early'?

He needs a Dyer type checkup.

That he does. You can't avoid a broken leg, but at least Dyer was fit for about what 5 months before that. When was the last time Owen went 5 months without an injury?

Now Sam is rooted because he'll have to rush him back to cover for Martins in January. Probably get through another few games and then just as he is regaining match sharpness off to the treatment table for another 'unlucky' strain.

Hope to fuck we don't give him a new contract. Would be great if we could get any money for him in January or next summer, but not sure anyone would be daft enough.

When he walks away on a bosman, it will be the end of an embarassing signing in the history of nufc.

Martins is better than Owen and just needs the chances/games to prove it.

Owen has been a complete disaster, £17m and 125k a week and he's a complete crock who's past his best. Not only has he missed about as many as chances as Martins has, Martins scores goals that Owen isn't even capable of scoring. Plus he's more creative able to drop deep effectively if needs be and is he's as quick as hell too.

Martins is the future for us. He's our best striker simple as that.

Owen has been a complete disaster, £17m and 125k a week and he's a complete crock who's past his best. Not only has he missed about as many as chances as Martins has, Martins scores goals that Owen isn't even capable of scoring. Plus he's more creative able to drop deep effectively if needs be and is he's as quick as hell too.

Owen has not worked through no fault of his own. But it doesn't mean that Martins is good enough to lead a team to honours at Newcastle, however that depends on the standards you are looking for.

If he is to reach that level, or the level that I think I want, he has a long way to go.

Martins being our 'best striker' does not make him good enough, and although he is our FITTEST striker, I would put him behind Viduka both on contribution to the side, and goal-scoring when Viduka is fit.

If Viduka was the same age as Martins. I would take him every time over Martins...

As for comparing Owen unfavourably with Martins - the only way that can be done with any sort of credibility is either on pace or fitness ; Owen at the age Martins is now, was a World-Class player - Martins will NEVER be a World-Class player.

A World Class talent does not disappear in as many games as Martins does - Australia had him under lock & key for almost all of their game with Nigeria on Saturday.

Martins being our 'best striker' does not make him good enough, and although he is our FITTEST striker, I would put him behind Viduka both on contribution to the side, and goal-scoring when Viduka is fit.

If Viduka was the same age as Martins. I would take him every time over Martins...

As for comparing Owen unfavourably with Martins - the only way that can be done with any sort of credibility is either on pace or fitness ; Owen at the age Martins is now, was a World-Class player - Martins will NEVER be a World-Class player.

A World Class talent does not disappear in as many games as Martins does - Australia had him under lock & key for almost all of their game with Nigeria on Saturday.

So you keep saying. I could give you a list of England games as long as your arm where Owen hasn't performed against teams far shitter than the Aussies, competitive and otherwise, and that's no slight on Michael Owen. Henry, Trezeguet, Saha and Anelka all failed to score in two massive games against David Weir ffs.

I couldn't really give two stuffs about how Martins plays in an international friendly.

I will be very disappointed if Owen claims a place in the starting 11 when he regains fitness. I would much rather we stick with Martins than Owen. Martins did very well in his first year in the Premiership, and I attribute his lack of goals towards the end of the season as a symptom of the general breakdown of the team. We should make every effort to sell Owen in January, and bring in another striker to work with Martins. There is no doubt about that in my mind. I loved the idea of Owen being with us, and held out hope longer than most that he would work out, but this is one too many injuries now.

So you keep saying. I could give you a list of England games as long as your arm where Owen hasn't performed against teams far shitter than the Aussies, competitive and otherwise, and that's no slight on Michael Owen. Henry, Trezeguet, Saha and Anelka all failed to score in two massive games against David Weir ffs.

I couldn't really give two stuffs about how Martins plays in an international friendly.

But presumably, you COULD give two stuffs if Martins doesn't do the business on a regular basis for NUFC, i.e.score between 15-20 goals per season ?

Do you see him doing that even if Allardyce picks him on a regular basis ?

Perhaps you do, but I'm afraid I don't - I agree with NE5's assessment of him - scores pot-shots but misses

easy chances, and we cannot afford a player who does that - he becomes a luxury, the very same thing many fans accuse Owen of being...

Prem defences will have had a good look at Martins over last season, and picked up on his weaknesses, which is why he will find it harder to score now, and even more so in the formation that Allardyce plays - any striker would.

Owen has become too much of a risk for us, and at this point in time we have to stick with Martins(and Viduka) because we have no-one else who will pose a threat to opposition defences, but I believe we can get someone who will pose a more consistent threat.

But presumably, you COULD give two stuffs if Martins doesn't do the business on a regular basis for NUFC, i.e.score between 15-20 goals per season ?

Do you see him doing that even if Allardyce picks him on a regular basis ?

Yes, I do, tbh. He got 17 last season in shittier team and it being his first season here. I know it was only like 11 in the prem or something like that, but I could see him adding four more goals to that too had he been playing regularly

Who cares..

Oba to the rescue!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/11/19/i-ll-fill-owen-void-martins-72703-20127776/

I’ll fill Owen void: Martins

Nov 19 2007 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Oba Martins

NEWCASTLE UNITED top scorer Oba Martins says he can handle the pressure of being the main man in Toon.

With Michael Owen facing up to yet another long lay-off after picking up a thigh injury in Austria, the Nigerian international will be thrust back into the spotlight against Liverpool on Saturday.

Five-goal Martins captained his country in a friendly against Australia at Craven Cottage over the weekend but could not inspire them to victory as they went down 1-0 to a Socceroos side that was missing Mark Viduka.

And with the Owen injury situation proving to be a real nightmare for Toon fans, many will now be hoping it won’t be a case of international deja vu.

For Martins is in action again tomorrow evening in Zurich as Nigeria take on Euro 2008 co-hosts Switzerland in a friendly many will see as a non-event.

Martins, though, will be relishing a return to the starting XI against Liverpool and admitted he doesn’t care who he plays up front alongside.

He told the Chronicle: “I feel I have been accepted here – I love the fans and I think they love me.

“I want to stay here for a few years, I think.

“The only thing I can do is keep scoring for them because it is so important to the fans.

“Getting goals and getting three points means a lot to the people here and I have to work hard to help do that.”

On United’s striking options, Martins added: “It’s really good playing up front with Michael, but it is up to the manager who plays.

“I will play with anybody.

“It’s OK, I don’t mind whether it is Michael, Mark Viduka, Shola Ameobi, Alan Smith or Andy Carroll.

“We have many good strikers to play with here and I enjoy playing with them all.”

But while Martins’ expected recall will come as a major boost to both the player – who looked clearly dejected while warming up against Sunderland in front of the Geordie support at the Stadium of Light – and the fans, it will be short-lived with the African set to resume his international commitments in January.

Martins’ last game for United before the African Cup of Nations in Ghana could be January 2 against Manchester City at St James’s Park.

The United No 9’s first game in Ghana is not until January 21 against the Ivory Coast before clashes with Mali four days later and then an encounter with Benin on January 29.

Whether Nigeria progress to the final showpiece on February 10 remains to be seen, but either way Martins says he has no choice but to represent his country at the finals.

Former United midfielder Amady Faye once said the fans would want to kill him if he did not represent Senegal at the last tournament, and a torn Martins said: “The national team in Nigeria is totally different for me.

“I have to play – I think it is my duty and if I didn't go it would cause a lot of problems.

“There is no reason not to, but I will miss playing at Newcastle.”