England 2 - 3 Croatia = FAIL and will not win the World Cup!1!!11

Martin Lol

What's the opinion on Shearer becoming England manager from a non toon viewpoint?

Either for Jol or Brummie, or any other non Newcastle fan here.

I'm not in favour, nothing against Shearer personally mind.  I know Jurgen the German and others have done it, but I personally like the idea of a National Team Manager having proven himself at club level before stepping up.

by tomorrows tabloids the line up will be

the queen

disraeli                attlee

lord kitchener    gazza      benn

powell  churchill  rooney  diana    saville

subs.....prince william

smith

ayres

dickens

posh

wood/walters

cleese

Smith. :lol:

i  meant robert

bluelaugh.gif

i meant robert smith not robert (of toon V spurs)

I know man. :lol:

does everyone else ?

hang on...you knew that i meant robert smith ?

I knew that you meant him second time, rather than Laurent Robert. :lol:

I did think you meant Alan first time though, I thought it'd be funnier that way and you're a funny guy madras.

Is that adequately cleared up? :razz:

Smith. :lol:

i  meant robert

bluelaugh.gif

i meant robert smith not robert (of toon V spurs)

I know man. :lol:

does everyone else ?

hang on...you knew that i meant robert smith ?

I knew that you meant him second time, rather than Laurent Robert. :lol:

I did think you meant Alan first time though, I thought it'd be funnier that way and you're a funny guy madras.

Is that adequately cleared up? :razz:

na..............(now trying to think of other smith's i could have meant)

Beckham and Robinson dropped.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article487379.ece

STEVE McCLAREN will take the biggest gamble of his career by dropping Paul Robinson and David Beckham for tonight’s showdown against Croatia.

The England boss gives keeper Scott Carson his first competitive international start in a match where the Three Lions must avoid defeat to qualify for Euro 2008.

Becks will also make way for Shaun Wright-Phillips in a five-man midfield which will include Gareth Barry.

It is a last throw of the dice from McClaren who faces the sack if England fail tonight.

He waited until 6.30pm yesterday to break the news to the players, though many of them had already worked it out after training.

Villa keeper Carson won his first cap in last Friday’s friendly with Austria and his inclusion for tonight’s game could spell the end for Spurs stopper Robbo.

Dropping Robinson for Carson is a so-called gamble that he should have taken before.

Good news about SWP as well. Many were saying that Beckham should come back for his experience in important games, but in previous important games he has run around like a headless chicken, trying to do everything himself.

Dropping Robinson for Carson is a so-called gamble that he should have taken before.

Good news about SWP as well. Many were saying that Beckham should come back for his experience in important games, but in previous important games he has run around like a headless chicken, trying to do everything himself.

Hard to disagree with that.  Robinson hasn't deserved his England jersey for a while, irrespective of what the stats about clean sheets say.  My only concern is that McLaren has now decided to make the change to bring in a relatively inexperienced keeper for the biggest match for England for a good few years.  It's easy to share Crumpy's view as McLaren is patently not up to the job.  Should be shipped out asap imho.

It's easy to share Crumpy's view as McLaren is patently not up to the job.  Should be shipped out asap imho.

In many ways hard to disagree, but who do you replace him with? It is all very well the press going on about an English or British manager but any British manager with half a brain will have seen the level of shit that comes - from the press - with the job and not touch it with a bargepole.

Then there's the school of thought that his recent run of results has been pretty good, and that he deserves a longer shot at the job. Also worth noting that one of the much suggested potential saviours, Hiddinck, is probably not going to be at the EC, whereas McClown is (relative strengths of squads noted, obviously).

Personally I'm not massively arsed, but chopping and changing is not going to produce an instant fix. If McClaren gets us there, then he deserves the chance to manage us at the tournament. He's certainly shown that he really is a lucky manager, so maybe that luck will hold out?

What's the opinion on Shearer becoming England manager from a non toon viewpoint?

Either for Jol or Brummie, or any other non Newcastle fan here.

I think it would be a bad move, both for Shearer and for England.

One of the mistakes we make too easily in this country is this belief that you can just take a former top player, drop them into a big job, and they instantly become good managers

Pearce (the passion he'd bring!) and Southgate (he reads the broadsheets, he's a thinker!) are two recent examples.

I know there are examples when it has worked, but personally, I'd rather the England manager was an experienced club manager than a first-job rookie.

I also think Shearer would have to be off his rocker to take it - the job almost always ends in failure, and could affect his longer term potential as a club manager.

Im swedish and I have followed english football for many years. One thing that I find strange with british managers is that they have the players so locked to their original positions.

For example, I think that Beckham has the potential to be the best right back in the world. I really mean this. Ge played there for Madrid at several occasions and always impressed me. Looking at his skills he has the makings of an ideal right back.

Play him as your right back and you get an extremely skilled passer in the backline. You also get a lethal weapon on the field for corners and freekicks. Especially important when you play Crouch alone upfront.

Im swedish and I have followed english football for many years. One thing that I find strange with british managers is that they have the players so locked to their original positions.

For example, I think that Beckham has the potential to be the best right back in the world. I really mean this. Ge played there for Madrid at several occasions and always impressed me. Looking at his skills he has the makings of an ideal right back.

Play him as your right back and you get an extremely skilled passer in the backline. You also get a lethal weapon on the field for corners and freekicks. Especially important when you play Crouch alone upfront.

If McClaren was to play Beckham at right back instead of Richards or Neville he would need a good stabbing.

Good shout. Some of the best Beckham performances that I've seen have been when he was a wing back for England.

You also make a good point about conservatism in switching positions. Either our players are less versatile, or they're not trained to play in different positions, or the pressure in England means that managers are more conservative and try to play it safe.

If McClaren was to play Beckham at right back instead of Richards or Neville he would need a good stabbing.

South America style!