The booing perspective - Joey Barton has his say on us...

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am fully supportive of booing and chanting "you dont know what your doing at Allardyce". As a season ticket holder I feel I have no plausible way of communicating effectively with the club on any level. The only way to get across my opinion that I utterly detested his decisions on saturday was to shout you dont know what your doing at him, and to boo at full time.

I do however think it can go too far at times, and booing during the game when 2/3-0 down just demoralises the players so badly.

I also have a MAJOR issue with some early leavers - if you want to go early by all means do, BUT PLEASE DO NOT GET UP TO LEAVE WHEN PLAY IS CONTINUING SO THAT I CAN'T SEE!!!!!!!! This was especially annoying with 35 mins gone on saturday when we were near their area for a change and a whole row of drunken pratts in the leazes think oh this is a great time to ruin it for people behind me.

I am fully supportive of booing and chanting "you dont know what your doing at Allardyce". As a season ticket holder I feel I have no plausible way of communicating effectively with the club on any level. The only way to get across my opinion that I utterly detested his decisions on saturday was to shout you dont know what your doing at him, and to boo at full time.

I do however think it can go too far at times, and booing during the game when 2/3-0 down just demoralises the players so badly.

I also have a MAJOR issue with some early leavers - if you want to go early by all means do, BUT PLEASE DO NOT GET UP TO LEAVE WHEN PLAY IS CONTINUING SO THAT I CAN'T SEE!!!!!!!! This was especially annoying with 35 mins gone on saturday when we were near their area for a change and a whole row of drunken pratts in the leazes think oh this is a great time to ruin it for people behind me.

I love your reasoning: I'll boo as I think that's ok but people leaving early are out of order. :lol:

what i meant was i dont mind booing at full time - it gets a point across. booing during a game doesnt help. And my issue with early leavers wasnt them leaving, it was them standing up in front of me so i cant see the game that i want to stay and see.

or alex did u not read the bit where it said "if u want to leave early then by all means do"?

Sorry, I misread it. Booing at any time makes you sound like a kid at a pantomime though. By all means do it however :razz:

Come on, we should be writing letters addressed to Sam Allardyce with complaints. If that's a bit laborious, maybe we can set up some sort of "points of view" portal on the website, where we can leave voicemails to be played back every week or so, surely Sam will take mroe notice from this sort of approach.

I know most people will disagree but how else are we meant to let the players/staff how we feel ?

thats exactly the point i was making - there is no form of communication with the club/staff other than the rather crude booing.

You honestly think without the booing Allardyce would have been satisfied with the Portsmouth and Liverpool games? :lol:

They don't need telling how you feel.

Thought .com had a salient view on it from todays update re: visit to Blackburn.

If you're turning out, let's try and restore some of our tattered reputation for being supporters - supplying vocal encouragement to the team - buying a ticket is only part of the deal.

We can still have pride in the shirt - even if other parties are less committed. And reacting negatively from the terraces merely gives the players a get-out clause about negative vibes etc.

Should that not be on your agenda, may we suggest snapping up tickets for Aladdin at the Theatre Royal or Sleeping Beauty at the Tyne Theatre - where you can boo or hiss to your heart's delight, along with other children...

Who does he think he is ffs?!! He can't play well unless the fans are worshipping him? The guy should keep his face shut, concentrate on his football, and pick up his fat wages at the end of every week. Honestly, i'm flabbergasted. :frantic:

Who does he think he is ffs?!! He can't play well unless the fans are worshipping him? The guy should keep his face shut, concentrate on his football, and pick up his fat wages at the end of every week. Honestly, i'm flabbergasted. :frantic:

Is this sarcasm?

Is this sarcasm?

No, i think for a new player that is yet to put in a good performance he's being really quite cheeky. Talk isn't going to win people round.

He's right in that it isn't helping the players. When he says the foreign lads we've just signed have been shocked by the lack of support from the fans, do you think he's lying or that it's unreasonable? He's mixed some good points with some bad, tbh. The Kluivert, Jenas stuff is nonsense, but the fans did hound Parker out, basically.

Joey Barton decides to turn tables on Newcastle’s ‘vicious’ fans

Jason Mellor

Living in the heart of the city, where he regularly mingles with Newcastle United supporters, Joey Barton might have been advised to refrain from using such terms as “vicious” and “baying for blood” when it comes to describing the club’s loyal followers.

However, far from being the latest foot-in-mouth outburst from a young man well known for shooting from the lip, the emotive language has been employed as part of an impassioned plea for change to the 52,000 souls he feels have become more of a hindrance than a help to the team in which they invest such emotional capital.

Alienating the only quality that has singled out Newcastle as a big club during the near four-decade search for a significant trophy may be seen as foolhardy, but for Barton, who has never been one to avoid confrontation, it is a risk worth taking if it prompts the sea change on which he is so intent.

“I came to the club expecting this famous crowd getting behind us, but I’ve yet to see that. Instead, it’s been vicious,” he said. Normally, such a critique of a body of support that has generally earned widespread respect would be met with stunned silence.

Related Links

Despite plenty of “previous”, however, this is no thought-free rant from Barton, more a plea for introspection sparked by the unedifying abuse from significant sections of the St James’ Park crowd aimed at Sam Allardyce, the manager, and his team during and after the miserable 3-0 defeat by Liverpool, a fourth match in succession without a victory in a run that has been blown into crisis-like proportions.

Barton has been stunned by the negative vibes exuding from the stands since his £5.8 million summer move from Manchester City and feels the need to tackle the issue head on. “I don’t think I’ve heard a crowd this vicious,” he said. “There is a fear factor. During the Liverpool game Peter Crouch came up to me and said the same thing. That shocked me. Our next home game is against Arsenal and if we go out there and are greeted with that sort of atmosphere we’ll lose again.”

With so little tangible reward for the past two generations of supporters, the St James’ Park faithful can be forgiven for having developed a “glass half-empty” outlook as a self-protection mechanism from years of witnessing unfulfilled potential. It is an outlook Barton insists has driven several high-profile players out of the club.

“Without people behind us we can’t achieve anything and I know other players feel the same,” he said. “You look at the calibre of players here over the last ten years, like Patrick Kluivert, Jermaine Jenas and Scott Parker, and this crowd has been vicious enough to eat players up. They are top, top players and they didn’t do so well here.”

Supporters would argue that Kluivert’s liking for the quayside nightlife rather than criticism from the stands was the underlying factor in the Dutchman’s failure, while the other two examples had their heads turned by the unique attractions of the capital, despite the assertion from Jenas that he was keen to escape the “goldfish bowl” of life in the North East.

Barton, who hopes to earn a recall to the midfield today in front of 6,000 travelling supporters away to Blackburn Rovers, said: “When you think about it, you can understand it. It’s easy for someone to buckle in that kind of atmosphere. If things don’t work out players move on and will just think it’s not for them. But if fans stay behind the team then you will get the players playing to their best.

“I understand the fans’ frustration, but the foreign players hear the jeers and boos and it must be really difficult for them. They’ve come here and played 13 games and already the crowd are baying for blood.”

It will be interesting to witness the reaction when Barton next ventures among those he seeks to educate, but they should recognise that its motivation is constructive, something of a rare commodity in today’s Barclays Premier League.

Can't disagree with too much, but like Keef says, the Kluivert and Jenas stuff is a bit wide of the mark.