Chelsea (a) - E-Mail from the Club...

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dear all,

One of the topics that came up when Chris Mort met with some of the fanzines is the number of tickets we have taken up for away trips in previous seasons.  Chris would like your guidance on the number of tickets we should take for the game at Chelsea on Saturday, 29 December (a 3pm kick-off).  We have already taken 1,443 tickets from Chelsea.  We have had around 500 applications for tickets which are likely to result in around 1,000 tickets being issued.  We would expect additional applications this week.

On Wednesday (28 November) we have to let Chelsea know whether we want to buy from them an additional 1,650 tickets (around 3,000 in total).  This will cost the Club around £76,000 (£X per ticket - the price at which our fans could buy tickets).  If we accept the tickets we would have to pay this £76,000 regardless of how many of the tickets are actually sold.

In previous seasons the Club has not taken its maximum allocation whenever it faced this sort of decision due to the financial risk of not selling the additional tickets.  Chris has asked me to seek your collective guidance by Wednesday as to whether you want the Club to apply for the additional 1,650 tickets.  If you think they will all get sold, and they all get sold, everyone will be delighted (and it will help Chris to get comfortable with relying on your guidance in the future). If they do not get sold this could cost the Club up to £76,000 which would be better spent elsewhere.

You could respond by saying "its a Club decision" but Chris thought you might want to be involved in this sort of decision.  Feel free to also ask the fans you have contact with through your web-sites.

Your call!

Earlier today we received an e-mail from the good people at our fine club (above), asking some advice on what we should do about the ticket allocation for the game away to Chelsea on Saturday 29th December 2007, a 3pm kick-off.

We have currently taken around 1,500 tickets for the game, with around 1,000 of these having already been snapped-up, the club want to know if we should apply for the extra 1,500 at a cost of £76,000 to NUFC, who basically have to pay for all the tickets that aren't taken.

Please take into account all of the factors surrounding the game, be it the timing/pricing, Toon Travel's recent problems, the trains being off between Newcastle and Doncaster on the day, etc. and answer as sensibly as you possibly can.

This is a rare opportunity for us to directly respond to a question set by the Chairman of Newcastle United, take it.

CHELSEA v NEWCASTLE UNITED

SATURDAY 29th December 2007, KICK OFF 3PM

THIS IS AN ALL TICKET MATCH

Ticket prices

£48.00 Adults (Upper)

£45.00 Adults (Lower)

£20.00 Senior Citizens

£20.00 Juniors (under 16)

Guest Jungle Barry

Being between christmas and new year certainly doesn't help either. When are the folk who organise the fixtures going to look at this with fans in mind?

Obviously we all have to play chelsea at some point but their prices are an absolute joke.

The London-based fans could boost that number. It's a tricky one, like.

Hopefully, but it is, as you say, a tricky one.

my uncle and about 6 of his mates are going - many more groups of mates will be going in numbers like this

probably at least 200 london based fans - we should sell out the full amount

not sure why so many dont want to go anyway even if its expensive, i think its the 2nd best london game with west ham coming first

The London-based fans could boost that number. It's a tricky one, like.

Hopefully, but it is, as you say, a tricky one.

my uncle and about 6 of his mates are going - many more groups of mates will be going in numbers like this

probably at least 200 london based fans - we should sell out the full amount

not sure why so many dont want to go anyway even if its expensive, i think its the 2nd best london game with west ham coming first

Mate I think it's more like 10 times that number. When we went to Watford in the cup I think only about 500 made the trip from Newcastle, and we filled a whole stand.

I'd say ask the London supporters club what they think.

Maybe also suggest advertising the increased allocation on .cock, so people know they have a better chance of getting tickets. I personally get put off some London games as I reckon I wont be able to get tickets and cant be bothered to go through the crappy box office phone service.

The sooner .cock sells away tickets online the better in my point of view.

im from london and will be ordering 2 child tickets which would be too adut tickets but chelsea hve FORCED me to turn to crime and try and get in on child rate. i would have been going with chelsea supporting (bastards) of mates but that would make me look older!!! in short, i reckon theyd all sell with this length of time before the game. there are plenty of london mags that would go (down here we absolutely HATE chelsea with a passion) and failing that, probably some others would try and get tickets just to see chelsea because you have to be a member. so in short, i reckon most if not all would sell as there is quite a following down here. (more newcastle fans than fulham AND charlton fans where i live!!)

3,000 away isn't too many but the way we're playing, the timing of the game and the ticket price might put a few off, it's a hard call but too many things seem to be against selling out as many as 3,000.

I'm a bit surprised that the club don't have historical information regarding how many people have applied for tickets away to Chelsea.  I just hope the people who are voting to take the full allocation are not doing it for the sake of it as the club might think twice before seeking advice in future.

I can't ever remember the club doing anything like this ever before, it's another good sign of how we now have a club that wants to listen to the fans and do what's best for us, it's only fair that the club get's the same in return.  If people want tickets then vote go get more, if people were not going to go anyway then you have no right to vote for more.

The club have taken 1,500 tickets and 1/3 of those are still to sell, I think the club are asking for advice on what I think is one of the hardest games to call for ticket sales, that may be why they are asking.

NO. We wouldn't sell out, not at those prices and with it being a midweek game and being in between Christmas and New Year. I know a lot of regular travellers who refuse to go to this one due to the price. I know 5 or 6 people who are not going to Chelsea but have been at every away game so far this season and will be at all the rest bar this one. With all the above and crap transport links (booking a train now will cost you at least £60) I just can't see us selling out the full allocation.

NO. We wouldn't sell out, not at those prices and with it being a midweek game and being in between Christmas and New Year. I know a lot of regular travellers who refuse to go to this one due to the price. I know 5 or 6 people who are not going to Chelsea but have been at every away game so far this season and will be at all the rest bar this one. With all the above and crap transport links (booking a train now will cost you at least £60) I just can't see us selling out the full allocation.

its actually saturday at 3pm. but i take your point about price. i do think we could sell a few hundred more though

3000 is too many IMO. Personally it's about the last game I'd apply for.

- Prices too high

- Bloody miles away

- We'll get thrashed

- Chelsea have enough money without me further lining their pockets

- Midweek match

- Over the Christmas period

Maybe take an extra 500-750? There'll be requests from London mags that should sell out 500-1000 at least but I'd struggle to say they'll definitely sell 2000. Better to underestimate it than overestimate at in times like this.

its actually saturday at 3pm. but i take your point about price. i do think we could sell a few hundred more though

That's the last time I listen to Greg when I post! If it's Saturday, disregard my 5th point. But the rest still stand.

Aye it is, just the whole in between Christmas and New Year thing made me forget it was a Saturday!

well are chelsea reallly going to sell the whole allocation if they dont give it to us? and maybe being a bit stupid here, but is 76000 really tht much? i mean michael owen gets more than that in a week!!! seems unreasonable of chelsea, if they are offering it to us its because they cant sell it themselves suerly?

If the club offered free transport for this game on a one off basis they'd shift the 1,650 tickets no problem, and have the benefit of a far bigger away following.  The cost of the travel would be far less than the £70-80k they would stand to lose by not selling the tickets i'd imagine.