Peter Crouch

Kev

It seems even some southern writers think more of our club than some fans

. From Steve Howard when 'arry was linked to Newcastle:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/article674951.ece

HARRY REDKNAPP does not want to live the rest of his life thinking “If only ...”

There cannot be any “if onlys” when you are a football manager.

The career, for most, is too short. The profession, as we have seen this season, is littered with corpses.

That is why Redknapp should take the Newcastle job. A millionaire several times over, he doesn’t need the money.

Sure, there’s a lot of it — some £20million over four years — and we’re all partial to a pound note.

But what he DOES need before he calls it a day is the knowledge that he was given a chance to crack it at a big club.

Whatever we say about Newcastle and the lack of trophies over the last 50 years, an average gate of 52,000 is compelling evidence that this is no ordinary club.

Apparently it's "arrogant" to think the same as this guy who is clearly a decent hack even if it's The Sun.

amazing. A southern journo praising the club. How many people get their knickers in a twist when they slate the club and respond by saying how much bigger and better we are than they [these tossers] think ?

Make your mind up time beckons, and don't bother asking Jimmy Greaves how he thinks we've always been a small club  bluelaugh.gif

Who mentioned Martin Samuel ?

Well if a southern journo thinks Redknapp should have left Pempey for Newcastle because "it's no ordinairy club" maybe the idea that Newcastle are still a big draw isn't bollocks after all? Mind we shouldn't need these fuckers to tell us it.

I genuinely hope you're both right, and I suppose the proof will be in the pudding soon enough.

People need to face facts. We're a mid table club with aspirations of moving into the top half. We have a manager who is possibly way past his sell by date and an owner who at present time seems more focussed on balance sheets than football teams. We have no chairman at present and have a set up that, at best, seems a little odd.

If Peter Crouch really wants to ditch Liverpool and Champions League football to end up with our rag bag club then i would gladly shake him by the hand.

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced cunt for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

I believe in my club, but the people saying only a mug would choose Pompey over us are deluded, tbh.

Aye, especially when their posts are less than accurate when it comes to facts... :razz:

what facts are those

Not referring to you, mate. Hence why you weren't in that quote list. TRon's "25,000" comment when their ground only holds 20,000 and when he says they've got plenty of empty seats when I'm fairly sure I remember their ticket uptake for each game being right up there with us, not to mention the fact that they're desperate to build a new stadium to fulfill ticket demands.

he's not too far out though, pompey is a canny little town and the supporters are quite good, but they [and Southampton] aren't that substantial in numbers to sustain being a top club. Without serious cash injections they will possibly bomb when Redknapp calls it a day. Building a new stadium will be nice but so far as numbers go I don't see any point in them building a stadium bigger than about 35000 at the most, and thats being generous.  Crouch, being British, will know this. The only way he would prefer pompey to us IMO is because he's played for Redknapp before.

None of that changes the fact that what he posted was essentially bollocks, like, even if it fits your agenda.

That aside, I do hope we're still capable of attracting players like Crouch here ahead of clubs like Portsmouth, and I certainly don't buy into the thought that there's "no chance" a player would ever come here now ahead of their like (Villa, Spurs, Everton, etc.) even if all things were equal (wages, transfer fees, etc.) I just think for Crouch, personally, we'd be behind Pompey if it came to the crunch.

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top seven and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

what agenda ?

I just think that he would be mad to choose pompey before us, for footballing reasons. They won't stay where they are without serious cash injections.

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I disagree entirely on the football reasons thing, to be honest, and they're owned by Gaydamak, who isn't short of a bit of cash.

well, aye, obviously. If he intends to do an Abramovic, and sells this idea, then they will attract Crouch and more big players.

:laugh:

so you are agreeing that cash talks then ?

I've never disagreed, have I?

I just loved the utter lack of subtlety in your comment.

make that a double whammy then  ;D

Rich/Atticus/Janitor  :kasper:

Everton are a big club by the way.

They nicked a good manager from us once, have won a few league titles and FA Cups in the last few decades, and have a big support in a big city.

They are more than capable of doing it again if they get their act together and really go for it, list them among those teams you name.

Clubs like pompey are 2nd string, like Blackburn, the smoggies etc they need someone to put money in if they want to live with the big boys.

Did anybody think the smogs were a better bet than we were when they won the League Cup btw ?

im not sure they are to be honest - i dont think they have the resources to compete on the same financial level that nufc, man c or Spurs can. I also dont htink that despite there recent success they;d be able to find a man who would be of good enough claibre to take them to the next level should Moyes depart which would be imperative for them.

As you sy - if they want to improve and make the real money in the prem they need to compete with the top4 financially and they cant no matter how succesful they are. This is where clubs like us, man c and spurs and vialla do have an advantage.

People need to face facts. We're a mid table club with aspirations of moving into the top half. We have a manager who is possibly way past his sell by date and an owner who at present time seems more focussed on balance sheets than football teams. We have no chairman at present and have a set up that, at best, seems a little odd.

If Peter Crouch really wants to ditch Liverpool and Champions League football to end up with our rag bag club then i would gladly shake him by the hand.

Anyone who thinks this is a ragbag club with an over the hill manager should probably join Crouch at Portsmouth. There's a nice lttle club with shed for a ground that can easily accomodate a few more supporters. Plus they've got a jowelly faced cunt for a manager whose wife tells him where he can work :thup:

I believe in my club, but the people saying only a mug would choose Pompey over us are deluded, tbh.

Aye, especially when their posts are less than accurate when it comes to facts... :razz:

what facts are those

Not referring to you, mate. Hence why you weren't in that quote list. TRon's "25,000" comment when their ground only holds 20,000 and when he says they've got plenty of empty seats when I'm fairly sure I remember their ticket uptake for each game being right up there with us, not to mention the fact that they're desperate to build a new stadium to fulfill ticket demands.

he's not too far out though, pompey is a canny little town and the supporters are quite good, but they [and Southampton] aren't that substantial in numbers to sustain being a top club. Without serious cash injections they will possibly bomb when Redknapp calls it a day. Building a new stadium will be nice but so far as numbers go I don't see any point in them building a stadium bigger than about 35000 at the most, and thats being generous.  Crouch, being British, will know this. The only way he would prefer pompey to us IMO is because he's played for Redknapp before.

None of that changes the fact that what he posted was essentially bollocks, like, even if it fits your agenda.

That aside, I do hope we're still capable of attracting players like Crouch here ahead of clubs like Portsmouth, and I certainly don't buy into the thought that there's "no chance" a player would ever come here now ahead of their like (Villa, Spurs, Everton, etc.) even if all things were equal (wages, transfer fees, etc.) I just think for Crouch, personally, we'd be behind Pompey if it came to the crunch.

On top of Redknapp, they've just won the FA Cup, finished top seven and are in the UEFA Cup and they might be able to offer more wages than us these days, rightly or wrongly.

what agenda ?

I just think that he would be mad to choose pompey before us, for footballing reasons. They won't stay where they are without serious cash injections.

NE5:

Opinion, sorry.

I disagree entirely on the football reasons thing, to be honest, and they're owned by Gaydamak, who isn't short of a bit of cash.

well, aye, obviously. If he intends to do an Abramovic, and sells this idea, then they will attract Crouch and more big players.

:laugh:

so you are agreeing that cash talks then ?

I've never disagreed, have I?

I just loved the utter lack of subtlety in your comment.

make that a double whammy then  ;D

Rich/Atticus/Janitor  :kasper:

Andy playing silly buggers with my account, apologies. Quite amusing to have 3 quotes from 3 pseudonyms though.

Guest Sniffer

Redknapp is too old and far too comfortable at portsmouth to consider  the challenge of managing the Toon.  He doesn't have the balls to try it so he opted for the wife is comfortable in the south card.

That's if he was ever really considered in the first place.

It seems even some southern writers think more of our club than some fans

. From Steve Howard when 'arry was linked to Newcastle:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/article674951.ece

HARRY REDKNAPP does not want to live the rest of his life thinking “If only ...”

There cannot be any “if onlys” when you are a football manager.

The career, for most, is too short. The profession, as we have seen this season, is littered with corpses.

That is why Redknapp should take the Newcastle job. A millionaire several times over, he doesn’t need the money.

Sure, there’s a lot of it — some £20million over four years — and we’re all partial to a pound note.

But what he DOES need before he calls it a day is the knowledge that he was given a chance to crack it at a big club.

Whatever we say about Newcastle and the lack of trophies over the last 50 years, an average gate of 52,000 is compelling evidence that this is no ordinary club.

Apparently it's "arrogant" to think the same as this guy who is clearly a decent hack even if it's The Sun.

amazing. A southern journo praising the club. How many people get their knickers in a twist when they slate the club and respond by saying how much bigger and better we are than they [these tossers] think ?

Make your mind up time beckons, and don't bother asking Jimmy Greaves how he thinks we've always been a small club  bluelaugh.gif

Who mentioned Martin Samuel ?

Well if a southern journo thinks Redknapp should have left Pempey for Newcastle because "it's no ordinairy club" maybe the idea that Newcastle are still a big draw isn't bollocks after all? Mind we shouldn't need these fuckers to tell us it.

I genuinely hope you're both right, and I suppose the proof will be in the pudding soon enough.

I don't think anything is going to get proved either way. There will be some players who would go to Pompey because they are currently doing well, there will also be plenty of high quality players who will relish the idea of a big stage like St James.

In the entertainment arena the bigger the stage the bigger the attraction for leading stars. We aren't Man U or Real Madrid, but then Portsmouth aren't Spurs or Newcastle although short term they are doing better on the pitch.

small club punching above weight by winning tophies and playing in europe

"big club" (in our case this is defined as well supported) who are punching way below weight, challenging for f*** all and have had 4 managers in 4 years.

I'd be tempted to go to Pompey I reckon.

if you seriously think that pompey are a bigger and better club than Newcastle, go. I'm sure they would be delighted to see you

They could do with a few more supporters.

you've missed the point. again.

I was not on about whether I should support the toon or pompey.

I was saying that in June 2008, if I was Peter Crouch and was being courted by both clubs, I would probably go there rather than come here. and I gave the reasons why I thought he would do that.

I love the whole "you think someone might prefer that club, why don't you go and support them then!?". :lol:

What I like more is that some people (naming no names of course) think every player should see NUFC like we do, including 22 year old Croatians. :lol:

This "Player X would choose club Y over club Z" argument is flawed, anyway.

The fact is that outside the top four, there really aren't a lot of defining factors between clubs, certainly not in the second tranche.

Big clubs of tradition - Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs; clubs with a bit of nouveau wad : Man City, Portsmouth, West Ham; clubs where they pay way over the odds to get decent players: Boro; clubs where the wife won't let the player go because she doesn't fancy the shopping: Sunderland, Boro, Reading ..... you could put together a whole list of parameters these days.

The fact is that if they're not in the Champions League, there's really not a lot to distinguish between clubs these days, and the "X is a bigger club than Y" argument doesn't work like it might have done 20 years ago.

The fact is that outside the top four, there really aren't a lot of defining factors between clubs, certainly not in the second tranche.

Big clubs of tradition - Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Spurs; clubs with a bit of nouveau wad : Man City, Portsmouth, West Ham; clubs where they pay way over the odds to get decent players: Boro; clubs where the wife won't let the player go because she doesn't fancy the shopping: Sunderland, Boro, Reading ..... you could put together a whole list of parameters these days.

The fact is that if they're not in the Champions League, there's really not a lot to distinguish between clubs these days, and the "X is a bigger club than Y" argument doesn't work like it might have done 20 years ago.

Agreed, I think different players want different things.  Some will want to feel wanted, some will just want money, others will want a lifestyle which fits whatever circumstances they have at the time.  A player who is married with no kids might want London, a player with kids might want something away from a city where his kids can get out and about.

Agreed, I think different players want different things.  Some will want to feel wanted, some will just want money, others will want a lifestyle which fits whatever circumstances they have at the time.  A player who is married with no kids might want London, a player with kids might want something away from a city where his kids can get out and about.

Then there are the distorting factors.

I once saw Paul Merson on SSN, and they were talking about Boro. They asked him why a certain player (dont remember who) had gone to Boro and he said "for the same reason anyone goes to Boro - the money. I know that's why I went there".

England's starting striker in their last friendly plays for Portsmouth, having moved there from Spurs this season. If it were as simple as "X > Y" then who on earth would go to Pompey?

Personally, I think London is one of the biggest distorting factors, especially for foreign players. If Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, Everton were all in the same place, there's no real reason to expect Modric to opt for Spurs out of that choice, but he's a 22 year old Croatian given the chance to move to a country where he probably only knows other footballers, and has never lived before.

The fact that one club is in a city which is one of three or four global "megacities" is going to have a massive influece.

There are plenty of other factors like this which attract players to clubs and put them off others.

I once saw Paul Merson on SSN, and they were talking about Boro. They asked him why a certain player (dont remember who) had gone to Boro and he said "for the same reason anyone goes to Boro - the money. I know that's why I went there".

England's starting striker in their last friendly plays for Portsmouth, having moved there from Spurs this season. If it were as simple as "X > Y" then who on earth would go to Pompey?

Personally, I think London is one of the biggest distorting factors, especially for foreign players. If Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, Everton were all in the same place, there's no real reason to expect Modric to opt for Spurs out of that choice, but he's a 22 year old Croatian given the chance to move to a country where he probably only knows other footballers, and has never lived before.

The fact that one club is in a city which is one of three or four global "megacities" is going to have a massive influece.

There are plenty of other factors like this which attract players to clubs and put them off others.

The only problem I have with our current scouting/purchasing setup is that none of them know this area so how the hell do they sell the club to a foreigner who probably hasn't got a clue what it's like?  They may visit the club but they'll probably only see what is on the route from the airport and possibly a quick trip into the city centre.

I'd still prefer us to lodge a bid for Ashton is the price was right though.

Would you not be concerned about his injury record?

I would yes, I just think he's better than Crouch that's all. Then again that ankle injury was a freak accident, but I do believe he has had problems in the past with muscle injuries and such. I've just always rated the lad and wanted us to sign him every since he was at Crewe.

I would yes, I just think he's better than Crouch that's all. Then again that ankle injury was a freak accident, but I do believe he has had problems in the past with muscle injuries and such. I've just always rated the lad and wanted us to sign him every since he was at Crewe.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them come here at the right price if Viduka was going.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them come here at the right price if Viduka was going.

Same here mate.

The only problem I have with our current scouting/purchasing setup is that none of them know this area so how the hell do they sell the club to a foreigner who probably hasn't got a clue what it's like?  They may visit the club but they'll probably only see what is on the route from the airport and possibly a quick trip into the city centre.

I don't think that compiling a list of things like area schools, malls, transportation routes and various other lifestyle factors is an impossible task for anyone except someone who's lived there all their life. 

I don't think that compiling a list of things like area schools, malls, transportation routes and various other lifestyle factors is an impossible task for anyone except someone who's lived there all their life. 

Don't forget golf courses.

Same here mate.

I like the combination we had at the end of last season as all three brought something different with them, it must have been a nightmare for the opposition defence trying to defend three different styles of play.

OK, I like fly fishing and diving, find me the best two places for this around here, the clocks ticking.

Maybe...just maybe, these players will have heard of Newcastle United before and recognise some of the names associated with the club and already be sold on the club to a tiny extent? I would imagine Keegan, Shearer, Owen, Viduka are pretty familiar names. The Serb underworld might even have heard of Joey Barton for all we know.

OK, I like fly fishing and diving, find me the best two places for this around here, the clocks ticking.

It doesn't matter if I can't do it in 10 seconds for you, sunshine and here's why :

If I was someone in charge of recruiting you I'd already have sussed out your hobbies and had that information prepared.  Or do you think players really go up to the negotiating table with their agent ready to make ridiculous demands at the 11th hour just for the fun of it?  Because if you do I'll be prepared, here and now, to finally agree with NE5 on something; namely his appraisal of your mental capacities.