What Is The Biggest Derby In Britain?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Id say either Everton vs Liverpool or Arsenal vs Spurs.

:lol: I wouldn't count either of them as proper derbys.

Old firm, Portsmouth v Southampton and the Bristol derby would be my top 3.

who do you think is the biggest local derby match in britain?

will be interesting to see who people think

i say newcastle v sunderland or rangers v celtic

Define 'biggest' ?

ermm....most rivalry and fear of getting beat if you know what i meen?

Celtic/Rangers is nothing like it used to be. They play each other four times every year now, and there's always a good chance they'll meet in the cup as well.

If you mean biggest in terms of the numbers of supporters following the game then it probably is still the biggest though.

You know what I don't get.

Games like the Mighty Blues vs the Forces of Darkness or Liverpool vs Everton. These are what I call derbies. Where the teams are from the same place and the support is intermingled, sometimes even between families.

But Newcastle vs Sunderland. Is that the same thing? Two teams from two distinct places, close as they are? How many Newcastle fans have Sunderland fans for workmates, neighbors, or grandads? I doubt its many.

Newcastle vs Sunderland, Soton vs Pompey, Norwich vs Ipswich etc, are not derbies. They are rivalries. Discuss.

Well. They might be derbies as I'm not sure as to what the exact definition of the word is. But they are different? ???

(See also, Barcelona vs Real Madrid "El Derby" equals biggest derby in the world. No it fucking isnt. Its 300 and odd fucking miles away.)

Old Firm.

Too much religious shit. they deserve no such accolades.

Cant choose between Liverpool/Everton or Manchester Derby..... I say Liverpool v  Man Utd (its nearly a derby)

That's half the reason it's the biggest. More than football. Doesn't matter about whether it 'deserves an accolade' or not, that's not the question being asked.

Do you think Newcastle and Sunderland hate each other purely because of football? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne-wear_derby#Rivalry_beyond_football

Guest ArseFan

I suppose as Newcastle fans you would see your rivalry as one as the biggest, same as for me as an Arsenal fan.

Would be intresting to see a neutrals view.

Guest NorwegianMag

In the Merseyside derby supporters from both club can almost sit together, that could never happen in the old firm nor tyne-wear.

You know what I don't get.

Games like the Mighty Blues vs the Forces of Darkness or Liverpool vs Everton. These are what I call derbies. Where the teams are from the same place and the support is intermingled, sometimes even between families.

But Newcastle vs Sunderland. Is that the same thing? Two teams from two distinct places, close as they are? How many Newcastle fans have Sunderland fans for workmates, neighbors, or grandads? I doubt its many.

Newcastle vs Sunderland, Soton vs Pompey, Norwich vs Ipswich etc, are not derbies. They are rivalries. Discuss.

Well. They might be derbies as I'm not sure as to what the exact definition of the word is. But they are different? ???

(See also, Barcelona vs Real Madrid "El Derby" equals biggest derby in the world. No it f****** isnt. Its 300 and odd f****** miles away.)

I'd say the difference with the derby here (or whatever you want to call it, it's just a question of semantics) is it is more tribal. I'm not saying it is bigger, more fierce or anything like that, because to the football fan only his game matters. The thing is, we have our territory and they have theirs, the battle lines are clearly drawn if you like. You have to remember that these two old industrial cities built on adjacent rivers have competed for centuries, long before any of these football clubs were founded, and indeed supported different sides during the civil war despite only being some 10 miles apart. In Manchester and Liverpool the respective fans as you say are neighbours, workmates, even brothers. To have brothers divided like this would be very rare up here and unthinkable for most people, it would be very difficult to live with that. I get the feeling if we shared one big city it wouldn't be this way, it would be more an issue of bragging rights than the uneducated hatred that many people have. It's important to note that most of it is just banter and that a great many people do work with mackems (this historically being England's region of highest unemployment and both cities being relatively small, people have often had to go where the work is). However there isn't as much day to day teasing as I've seen between Liverpool/Everton fans for example because we don't share a city with the mackems. When we do take on sunderland a lot of the rivalry is vented on that one day.

man u vs liverpool or arsenal v chelsea. its the only two that are local and mean something major in the final position in the premiership. off that list though, id have to say tottenham v arsenal being a southerner. i dont really appreciate the rivalry between newcastle and sunderland, probably because there arent any mackem fans down here. instead we all absolutely despise chelsea, so that would lead me to say chelsea v newcastle is the biggest derby!!!

Guest rebel_yell12

I voted Liverpool v. Everton, and although I'm not entirely neutral I have lived amongst the Americans long enough now that I feel a bit removed from the larger footballing world and think I was very logical in the conclusion.  Here's my reasoning:

Newcastle v. Sunderland -- how often is this played?  Sunderland are usually literally not in Newcastle's league.  Also, they aren't from the same city, just near to one another.  Generally, I think Sunderland have nothing to fear from this match, though Newcastle certainly does.  Local lads in the squads bring something to this one though.

Arsenal v. Spurs -- from this side of the pond, the London "derbies" don't carry the same weight, as half the clubs fans always seem to be there for a social event, not to see the football.  The "prawn sandwich" brigade, I suppose.  Also, how many of either squad's players are invested in the derby?  Arsenal's squad I highly doubt any of them are born and bred fans of the club (all being foreign).  Likewise, I've met a lot of non-local fans of both clubs.

Rangers v. Celtic -- is this a derby or the Scottish championship match?  The "derby" qualities are outranked by the fact that they seem to be the only perenially decent clubs in Scotland.  Somehow that dilutes the effect for me.  Also, they play each other far more often than the other derbies.

ManUtd v. ManCity -- this isn't quite to the level of Sunderland v. Newcastle, but how often is this match competitive in recent years (this year excepted)?  Because it includes ManUtd, it also carries the same issue of the London clubs -- fans that are "glory hunters" not locals invested in the derby.  Still, local fans and local players can make this one interesting.

Liverpool v. Everton -- same city, local fans, teams that are fairly well-matched with some routine (that is, Everton is often in the Top 8, close to Liverpool's Top 4).  The squads tend to have at least a few local boys who are themselves involved in the derby spirit.  

People saying Liverpool Everton have never lived in the city or been to a Derby there.

Apart from a few chavs its nothing these days, was sat in the Everton end a few years abck (about 5 years ago I think) and all you could hear for the whole 90 minutes were a couple of old red boys complaining about how bad both teams and the atmosphere was.

Left very disappointed with the experience