Martins

Bassong

Owen

Viduka

Gutierrez

Geremi

Beye

Which leaves us with this as our 'best' line-up:

Harper ..... Taylor, Taylor, ???, Kadar ..... Lua Lua, Guthrie, Nolan, Duff ..... Carroll, Shola

And nothing in depth (without delving completely into the youth set-up). We need a new squad, basically - simple as that. The preparation we've had this season would have been terrible for a balanced, complete, good Championship squad. We've got absolutely nothing like that, so it's been utterly catastrophic. Scared shitless, me.

i'm not going to deny we need new players but even without buying new players, we'd recoup enough money from the likes of Enrique, Colo, Bassong, Jonas and  Martins to fill the gaps in the team you picked but even with your best line up put Tozer in alongside Taylor and replace Shola with Ranger and that team would hold its own in the CCC. 

The longer we 'hold our own' in the Championship, the harder it's going to get to win it.

With the club in its current state i think its better we concentrate on not getting relegated again rather than winning the league!!!

Get relegated again? Why don't you see this mass hysteria is adding to our downfall?!

Although...

Win the league? Why don't you have some realistic targets?! We don't have a divine right to be in the Premier League you know!

Ahem.

The longer we 'hold our own' in the Championship, the harder it's going to get to win it.

more likely to go down than go up if we don't do it at the first time of asking. leeds, man city, charlton etc did it that way.

more likely to go down than go up if we don't do it at the first time of asking. leeds, man city, charlton etc did it that way.

i think you've got 2 seasons to get back up, then the parachute payments and your fucked,  if we don't go up first time the pressure to get up 2nd time will be huge!!  Unfortunately with the current choas at this moment in time i'm more concerned with survival than promotion.  If/when a buyer comes in i might change my mind!

Harper

Tavernier -- Kadar -- Ferguson -- Lough

Lua Lua -- ? -- ? -- ?

Lita -- Carroll

Aye, we'll be fine. :lol:

Harper

Raylor Taylor Hughton Kadar

Geremi Butt© Nolan Guthrie

Carroll Smith

Hughton's better at full back. I'd have Dowie up top over Smudge too.

Guest michaelfoster

[code]

Harper

R.Taylor     S.Taylor    Tozer     Kadar

Lua Lua    Butt (c)    Guthrie   Duff

Xisco     Smith

Subs: Krul, Lough, Morris, Nolan, Inman, Carroll, Ameobi

Going off Yorkie's list

[/code]

Harper

Tavernier -- Kadar -- Ferguson -- Lough

Lua Lua -- ? -- ? -- ?

Lita -- Carroll

Aye, we'll be fine. :lol:

Harper

Raylor Taylor Hughton Kadar

Geremi Butt© Nolan Guthrie

Carroll Smith

Hughton's better at full back. I'd have Dowie up top over Smudge too.

He's better as a coach too, doesn't mean anything to us.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Can footballers use wheelchairs on the pitch? Could be a way to add pace to our CMs Geremi and Butt

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/15/nufc-set-to-play-leyton-orient-after-utrecht-axed-72703-24158295/

Hughton, though, may have a headache ahead of this Saturday's trip to League Two Darlington after Habib Beye did not train yesterday due to a hamstring injury.

The Senegal defender – who wants to leave Newcastle – suffered with the injury last season and was unfit to appear in United's decisive game with Aston Villa in May, despite a willingness to play through the pain barrier.

It has also emerged that Beye was only moments away from being forced out of the friendly with Shamrock Rovers by Dublin referee Neale Doyle in the 3-0 win over the League of Ireland side.

Beye cynically fouled Peter Gal Andrelzy in the first half, with Doyle warning him one more similar incident would result in him alerting the Toon bench to order an automatic substitution rather than a red card due to the friendly nature of the game.

Beye then mouthed off to Doyle just before the half-time whistle.

That's not very friendly Habib.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/15/nufc-set-to-play-leyton-orient-after-utrecht-axed-72703-24158295/

Hughton, though, may have a headache ahead of this Saturday's trip to League Two Darlington after Habib Beye did not train yesterday due to a hamstring injury.

The Senegal defender – who wants to leave Newcastle – suffered with the injury last season and was unfit to appear in United's decisive game with Aston Villa in May, despite a willingness to play through the pain barrier.

It has also emerged that Beye was only moments away from being forced out of the friendly with Shamrock Rovers by Dublin referee Neale Doyle in the 3-0 win over the League of Ireland side.

Beye cynically fouled Peter Gal Andrelzy in the first half, with Doyle warning him one more similar incident would result in him alerting the Toon bench to order an automatic substitution rather than a red card due to the friendly nature of the game.

Beye then mouthed off to Doyle just before the half-time whistle.

That's not very friendly Habib.

Funny how that only came out AFTER the Sun article.

Character Assassination starts here.

Panathinaikos keen to snap up Habib Beye

Jul 18 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

GREEK giants Panathinaikos are weighing up a move for unsettled Newcastle United defender Habib Beye.

The Chronicle understands Beye’s close pal and former Sunderland striker Djibril Cisse has recommended the Senegal international to ex-Chelsea coach Henk ten Cate, who is now in charge at the Olympic Stadium in Athens.

Panathinaikos finished last season in third place in the Greece Super League and are preparing for a title tilt this term, hence the interest in signing an experienced campaigner like Beye.

Beye’s contract runs out at the end of the season, but the turmoil at St James’s Park means that talks on a fresh deal have been pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

This has angered the 31-year-old, who wanted to extend his current deal and end his career at United. Beye is unhappy at the prospect of his contract running out and being a free agent next summer as the ex-Marseille captain is keen to be in a position to map out the remainder of his career.

However, his future on Tyneside looks ominous after the player told his team-mates he will stand by his words earlier this week and quit the Magpies.

A source close to Beye told the Chronicle: “Habib is upset at the situation but cannot go on like this without knowing what the future holds.

“He was man enough to tell his team-mates face to face that he wanted to leave United and he received positive feedback from senior players such as Nicky Butt and Steve Harper. It is clear the players fully understand why he wants to leave Newcastle.”

Beye is contracted to United until the end of the season, meaning in normal circumstances they would be under no pressure to sell.

Yet, with no manager in place to discuss a new deal and the club up for sale, Beye finds himself in limbo.

United signed the defender for £2m during the Sam Allardyce era and he has recently courted attention from a number of clubs including Everton and Man City.

United’s bitter rivals Sunderland are also interested – and a move to the Stadium of Light would be yet another slap in the face for the Toon Army if it happened.

Why does he want a new contract? I'm going to presume that he's looking for the same wages and at least a 2-year extension. If that's the case then he's a greedy fuck and should fuck off.

He played well in his first season here then started the second poorly then got injured for half the season while we were relegated. How the hell does that entail a new contract? He's 31 (and will be 32 in the first two months of the season), looks to need ever more time to settle into his rhythm upon returning to the team so I don't see him capable of consistently performing at the level he did in his first season here anymore. If he's willing to take a paycut, then maybe offer him a one-year extension but otherwise he needs to shut his trap and honour the contract he happily signed two years ago.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/20/newcastle-united-fans-deserve-better-beye-72703-24195503/

The words of Beye and others still won't get any news out of Ashley et al. It just goes to show the sheer contempt these men have for our club and supporters.

The players have probably the same amount of contempt for the club and supporters. We wouldn't have been relegated if this wasn't the case. He's good at PR and so are some other players, but obviously others like Enrique aren't. Still, I'd rather have someone like Enrique who seems to take pride in his own performances rather than gutless wankers like Smith and Shola who'll say all the right things to the press. I think that, after all this time, we know what they say has absolutely no correlation with their performances on the pitch so I couldn't give a fuck how much he loves the supporters and all this 'we deserve better' shit. If that was really the case, then take a paycut and ask your colleagues to do the same. He's like every other footballer: he looks after himself first. I'm not blaming him for that because it seems like it's a footballing culture which few can escape, but I'd also rather that he stopped with all this talk because we know it's bs. The fact that he's asked for a new contract shows that it's bs.

I don't think any of the players we have at the club will be fondly remembered after their departures, even the ones who have done relatively well like Bassong and Enrique. The only chance they have of redeeming themselves is by getting us promoted so why not, in the meantime, shut your mouth because you said all the right things throughout last season and look where we ended up. Why not spend your time training harder so you're not as shit as you all were last season.