Laurent Robert Interview - L'Equipe.

Optimistic Nut

http://www.equipe.fr/Football/breves2007/20071207_213521Dev.html

Just been released by Levante, not going to translate the whole lot, just the parts he mentions us...and some might find it surprising that he only has good things to say about us.

"Laurent, we've not seen you in France since 2001 after 2 good seasons at PSG. You've spent 6 years abroad, what's your experience been like?"

Good things, and some bad things. I spent 4 magnificent years at Newcastle even though it wasn't always a success, and I lost my place in the France team. (goes on to talk about a bad move to Pompey, only being at Benfica 6 months because he was signed to replace Simao who went on to stay, then made a bad choice between Levante & Galatasaray).

When you look back on your career, do you think you made any bad career decisions?

Yes, absolutely. Most notably leaving Newcastle for Portsmouth. I would have been better off staying at Newcastle, it's a huge club. Also, there were certain managers in my career who said one thing to me, and did something else.

Your France career totalled 9 caps, all won as a PSG player. Do you think playing abroad hindered your international career?

There was certainly a lack of communication. Jacque Santini never watched me, Roger Lemerre put me in provisional lists but never in the final squads. But I don't think that was because I played in England. At Newcastle, we were in the top 5, it was a step-up in my career. It allowed me to progress, and to become mentally stronger. I also had many good times there.

http://www.equipe.fr/Football/breves2007/20071207_213521Dev.html

Just been released by Levante, not going to translate the whole lot, just the parts he mentions us...and some might find it surprising that he only has good things to say about us.

"Laurent, we've not seen you in France since 2001 after 2 good seasons at PSG. You've spent 6 years abroad, what's your experience been like?"

Good things, and some bad things. I spent 4 magnificent years at Newcastle even though it wasn't always a success, and I lost my place in the France team. (goes on to talk about a bad move to Pompey, only being at Benfica 6 months because he was signed to replace Simao who went on to stay, then made a bad choice between Levante & Galatasaray).

When you look back on your career, do you think you made any bad career decisions?

Yes, absolutely. Most notably leaving Newcastle for Portsmouth. I would have been better off staying at Newcastle, it's a huge club. Also, there were certain managers in my career who said one thing to me, and did something else.

Your France career totalled 9 caps, all won as a PSG player. Do you think playing abroad hindered your international career?

There was certainly a lack of communication. Jacque Santini never watched me, Roger Lemerre put me in provisional lists but never in the final squads. But I don't think that was because I played in England. At Newcastle, we were in the top 5, it was a step-up in my career. It allowed me to progress, and to become mentally stronger. I also had many good times there.

Get him back, we don't have anyone with anything like what he had in his locker!!!11oneone!11!!

Robert has to take the blame for how his career went down the pan post-Robson.

He owes a lot to Sir Bobby, who spotted that Robert had something special that would complement Shearer, and turn a blind eye to all that was bad about him - all of course a benefit to both club and player.

There's no way that Laurent Robert would get near to a Sam Allardyce team.

Allardyce nearly signed him a couple of days before he joined Portsmouth...

Wow. I didn't know that. Maybe Sam is not as averse to the more skillfull but less hard working player than I thought. I'm still not sure about him coming back though. Remember how excited some got when Bernard came back, and look how that turned out. He probably wouldn't be as good as many of us remember.