Laurent Robert Interview - L'Equipe.

Optimistic Nut

Ironically, Robert produced his best spell of consistent form in his Toon career (for me) under Souness during that run of winning games before the Lisbon fall-out, where he once again let his big gob go, which was the end for him and rightly so in my opinion. I will remember him with fondness though, but tinted as a player who could have been one of the best left wide men in the world given his talent, he was that good on his day.

Btw is Martins the new Robert? I think he's a similar frustrating player.

His best prolonged run of form was after he got sent-off at Everton early in the 2003-4 season up until about February of that season. I remember he was on fire at the time and was overlooked for the France squad with Bruno Cheyrou selected ahead of him after a run of about 3-4 decent games for Liverpool that December and that seemed to knock the stuffing out of him.

True.

I remember SBR talking about how he was also working much harder for the team.

Something about now when I substitute him or at the end of the game and I tap him on the back I can actually feel the sweat; I couldn't before.

After Cheyrou got picked ahead of him his form dipped again.

What was his highest ever Premierhsip goals tally?

How long will it be until someone from midfield scores more than that?

The best thing about Robert is that you could get a free kick anywhere within 50 yards and think, 'He could score from here'. :lol: Thing is, even when he didn't score he almost always tested the keeper. Amazing technique from deadballs.

The best thing about Robert is that you could get a free kick anywhere within 50 yards and think, 'He could score from here'. :lol: Thing is, even when he didn't score he almost always tested the keeper. Amazing technique from deadballs.

Tell me about it, i always loved seeing him pound them from 50yards out, i think he was the only player ive ever seen who i genuinely believed would score from every frreekick he got. I would much rather have Robert taking my free kicks than Beckham. It was great seeing the opposition set up a 3 man wall 35yards out from goal when he was lining up!! Great times

Robert or Ginola?  :shifty:

That would be a hard choice for me, both were class players and both would make a massive difference to our current team.

Stick Ginola on the right.

didn't work when keegan tried it at away at everton

Ironically, Robert produced his best spell of consistent form in his Toon career (for me) under Souness during that run of winning games before the Lisbon fall-out, where he once again let his big gob go, which was the end for him and rightly so in my opinion. I will remember him with fondness though, but tinted as a player who could have been one of the best left wide men in the world given his talent, he was that good on his day.

For saying it how it was, too bad the captain didnt do likewise

For saying it how it was, too bad the captain didnt do likewise

indeed

Guest battyleespeed

I would take him back for 1-2 seasons if he would agree to be used for only part of the games. He's only 32 and probably could probably recover some of the old form with Big Sams fitness regimes. We used to have great free kick takers like Robert, Shearer and Solano but have Geremi now  :weep:

I would take him back for 1-2 seasons if he would agree to be used for only part of the games. He's only 32 and probably could probably recover some of the old form with Big Sams fitness regimes. We used to have great free kick takers like Robert, Shearer and Solano but have Geremi now  :weep:

:lol: Give over, He's done with, finished, past his sell by date, the end.

Without a doubt, as gifted a winger as I've ever seen. He could win a match on his own with one flash of brilliance. However, he was always an enigma, but aren't most great players ?

I remember when we had him and Solano in tandem down either wing - I think we had the best pair of wingers in Europe at that particular time.

Not sure if I'd have him back now - we aren't short of left-sided players.

Guest kevin carrs gloves

Rose tinted glassestastic. I remeber numerous times Shearer screaming at him as yet another ball was retrieved from row zz.

Rose tinted glassestastic. I remeber numerous times Shearer screaming at him as yet another ball was retrieved from row zz.

Hardly surprising, when would shearer ever of been happy if the oppurtunity for him to get some glory was 'wasted'.

Its not like you could even say that a Robert effort was a wasted oppurtunity, you always knew that there was a decent chance of something happening.  Probably the same odds of something happening if he just plopped a free kick into the box.

Knowone argued when Roberto Carlso lined up from 40 yards out, he's been milking that one freekick he's scored in 98 for years, the same cant be said for Robert because he was definitely capable.

Guest kevin carrs gloves

Hardly surprising, when would shearer ever of been happy if the oppurtunity for him to get some glory was 'wasted'.

Its not like you could even say that a Robert effort was a wasted oppurtunity, you always knew that there was a decent chance of something happening.  Probably the same odds of something happening if he just plopped a free kick into the box.

Knowone argued when Roberto Carlso lined up from 40 yards out, he's been milking that one freekick he's scored in 98 for years, the same cant be said for Robert because he was definitely capable.

I would disagree and say he wasted more than 50% of his free kicks in his last 2 years. And by wasted I mean put in the crowd.

Laurent Robert has been released by employer Levante after a long dispute.

The former Newcastle star and Portsmouth player joined the Spanish club last term and only appeared 13 times.

The Frenchman was not part of his club’s plans this season and did not train with the squad and did not play competitive football with Levante.

The midfielder was urged to find a new club but his high wage demands made his move impossible. The Reunion Island-born star trained with former club Montpellier and had a trial period with Marseille, but remained under contract until Thursday.

Levante have announced on their official website that the player has been released and is allowed to join another club on a free transfer.

Robert wanted to be paid all his wages before leaving, and it is believed the Frenchman has been offered half. His future certainly lies in Ligue 1 or Ligue 2.