Newcastle United 2 - 1 Birmingham - 08/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

JH

Full credit to Sam for the victory. I was willing to slate him for his crap tactics earlier in the season but he got it spot on last night. Created lots of chances, and we were unlucky not to win by a couple, which is good considering the players were backing up. I still say give him to the end of the season, then assess where we are. Any talk of 'must be here for 3 years' or 'must go before jan' is silly.

Mind you if he keeps up with the crappy away tactics he will still get the boot no matter how we play at home. And rightly so. Here's hoping he takes this attitude and form onto the road.

Also well done Milner but Zoggy looked so superior attacking down that flank, how long can sam keep him in the back line?

I´m not to sure it just the crap tactics that have keept us pointless away. It´s rather the fact that we just can´t defend. Just look at Portsmouth. They have won 6 away games and just lost two. And they are not a attacking team away.

They are sitting at ther back and just waiting fot the opponent. And every game they Some how manage with their plan. And that due to great goalkeeping, good defending (a bit luck ofcourse), and absolutly cruel efficiency.

So we should not just complain at the tactics. We should complain at thte fact we cant keep the opponent away from goal, and a little bit at our contreattackts (attacking play).

Also well done Milner but Zoggy looked so superior attacking down that flank, how long can sam keep him in the back line?

i watched the newcastle game yesterday. which game were you watching ?

Neither played particularly well yesterday tbh. Milners crossing was appalling. He did work hard. Zog ran at people with some success at times. Again, crossing was patchy

Heard some idiot on the radio on the way home saying that we performed poorly and had no width. I thought we played some good football today.

Given- 6.5 Had barely anything to do all game, couple of comfortable stops.

Beye- 8 Best game yet, defensively and attacking. Won us the corner that he scored from.

Taylor- 7 Very powerful, never put a foot wrong.

Rozehnal- 6.5 At fault for the goal but otherwise very composed.

N'Zogbia- 7.5 Involved in alot of our attacking play.

Geremi- 7 Worked hard throughout, calming influence.

Butt- 4 Gave the ball away 4 times in the time he was on the pitch.

Barton- 7 By far our best passer of the ball today. Lunatic foul let him down.

Milner- 8.5 Never lost the ball once, the heart and soul of our attacking performance today. MOM

Smith- 7 Worked hard, held the ball up nicely and won his share of headers.

Martins- 7.5 Could of had a couple. Deserved his goal.

Subs:

Viduka- 7 Inspired in the first, tired in the second.

Enjoyed the game. We completely dominated a team who beat Spurs last weekend.

Was about to post my ratings but these are pretty much spot on imo.

Although for me...

Roze - 5 nearly cost us again after the goal he was at fault for. Although he's good on the ground, quick and tall. He seems to be scared to head/attack the ball at times and this is a major flaw for a CB, he needs to correct this ASAP.

Neither played particularly well yesterday tbh. Milners crossing was appalling. He did work hard. Zog ran at people with some success at times. Again, crossing was patchy

Just finished watching the game again on TV and both Milner and Zog played very well yesterday. They were creative and got alot of good crosses in. 

Just finished watching the game again on TV and both Milner and Zog played very well yesterday. They were creative and got alot of good crosses in

Careful saying stuff like that around here, especially concerning Milner.

Just finished watching the game again on TV and both Milner and Zog played very well yesterday. They were creative and got alot of good crosses in

Careful saying stuff like that around here, especially concerning Milner.

True, nobody likes mistruths.

Right on cue.

:lol:

The point about the media ignoring Ronaldo's dive is made even worse by the fact that Ferguson was complaining about him having an undeserved reputation for diving during the week!

I'd still love to have him here. He may have a dubiously gay adams apple and a penchant for jizz in his hair but by fuck he is a good footballer.

[No, it's only a definite penalty in such cases when it's Man Yoo Liverpuddle or Arsenhole re:BBC/Football rags regulations.

(Remember the excuses being looked for when Pires did a swan dive in the box a couple of seasons back ?)

And Ronaldo yesterday - f****** joke that

Aye, all the debate over whether ours was a penalty or not, and a clear dive off Ronaldo ignored by the media.

Aye, granted they were winning 3-1 but still a dive is a dive

I´m not to sure it just the crap tactics that have keept us pointless away. It´s rather the fact that we just can´t defend. Just look at Portsmouth. They have won 6 away games and just lost two. And they are not a attacking team away.

They are sitting at ther back and just waiting fot the opponent. And every game they Some how manage with their plan. And that due to great goalkeeping, good defending (a bit luck ofcourse), and absolutly cruel efficiency.

So we should not just complain at the tactics. We should complain at thte fact we cant keep the opponent away from goal, and a little bit at our contreattackts (attacking play).

When they get the ball they don't launch straight back to the opposition. They like the ball, the ball is their friend.

How in hell's name is there any debate about the penalty? Honest to God. :lol:

Really is one of the clearest penalties you'll ever see. Martins was running through on goal and had a goalscoring opportunity. He over-run it a bit yes, but he was blatantly brought down, the defender was incredibly late and nowhere near the ball, and Martins was denied any possibly opportunity to take a shot on goal.

Like i said earlier, anywhere else on the pitch - there'd be no arguing whatsoever.

How in hell's name is there any debate about the penalty? Honest to God. :lol:

Really is one of the clearest penalties you'll ever see. Martins was running through on goal and had a goalscoring opportunity. He over-run it a bit yes, but he was blatantly brought down, the defender was incredibly late and nowhere near the ball, and Martins was denied any possibly opportunity to take a shot on goal.

Like i said earlier, anywhere else on the pitch - there'd be no arguing whatsoever.

It was just on the last word and Andy Gray somehow thinks the Ronaldo was right but the Newcastle pen was wrong. It was a clear pen imo

I like Andy Gray but he's talking bollocks there. Why does the fact nobody put their arm up appealling matter a jot? No relevance whatsoever.

It would be a foul in any other area of the pitch. And after defending Ronaldo throwing himself to ground whilst kicking the defender's leg he makes no sense to say ours was generous.

I like Andy Gray but he's talking bollocks there. Why does the fact nobody put their arm up appealling matter a jot? No relevance whatsoever.

It would be a foul in any other area of the pitch. And after defending Ronaldo throwing himself to ground whilst kicking the defender's leg he makes no sense to say ours was generous.

He makes alot of sense. One's a World Class midfielder that plays for Manchester United, the other is a decent forward that plays for Newcastle. Martins should be banned for diving tbh

His defending of Pizarro was pathetic

Exactly...funny they didnt show our clear pen when it was one all!

Its like saying if the players appeal for a penalty then it probably is one

I'm not watching the Last Word or anything, actually i've seen hardly any punditry this weekend, but really - what evidence is there to suggest our's wasn't a penalty? The fact that the ball was over-run a bit? It's a seriously, seriously weak claim. A goalscoring opportunity was denied and the defender was miles away from the ball. Erm, penalty!

I'm not watching the Last Word or anything, actually i've seen hardly any punditry this weekend, but really - what evidence is there to suggest our's wasn't a penalty? The fact that the ball was over-run a bit? It's a seriously, seriously weak claim. A goalscoring opportunity was denied and the defender was miles away from the ball. Erm, penalty!

The defender got a touch of the ball before he got Martins.