Mort: I’m in charge

Mr Logic

seems to me that some think his comments mean he wants 16/17yr olds that arent very good but may come good with coaching and time to slowly blood in, he may mean more along the lines of those in the 20/22 age bracket those who already have experience but still have alot of time to mature and grow and potentially these sorts of signings can cost alot of  money and can be worth while we have had the bad i.e hugo but you can still grab young talent just like man u have done with ronaldo in the past and nani and anderson from this summer.

seems to me that some think his comments mean he wants 16/17yr olds that arent very good but may come good with coaching and time to slowly blood in, he may mean more along the lines of those in the 20/22 age bracket those who already have experience but still have alot of time to mature and grow and potentially these sorts of signings can cost alot of  money and can be worth while we have had the bad i.e hugo but you can still grab young talent just like man u have done with ronaldo in the past and nani and anderson from this summer.

Diego??

Diego??

possibly.... I mean I agree with everyone that until maybe this board has 1/2 transfers under their belt you can really pull a quote or two and come to a load of different conclusions. I see nothing wrong with buying for the future rather that buying a player that has to start as they are of the age where they will no longer stand for a bit of bench warming time.

Dont know if ya being ironic or not but thats not what id call a good idea, only the truly world class managers have that knack of being able to intergrate many new top class players in a short time. Signing loads of players would be a terrible idea, for a start it would colectively destroy the morale of the current team who are having potential replacements signed right in front of them. It needs to be done slowly, filling in the weaknesses of the 1st team, then the squad, once the first team and squad is amply filled, then you start trying to improve the overall quality of the squad. Singing 5-6 top quality players sounds like a good idea,but i would bet the last £23.37 of my overdraft that it would fail miserably, Tottenham and Man U a few years back are shining examples of this.

Am i reading right? Signing a loads of top class players is a bad idea?

Parky was intimating that if we could sign a top class player in January we should. We arent going to have 8 top class players all wanting to sign for us. We might catch the odd one if the market is in our favour. Ruling out bringing in a player like Arshavin during January isnt good business if someone else signs him. We're struggling to stay in touch with the top 8.

The defence needs to settle down, i think we have a good set of players back there and it will take a bit of time. An attacking player of high quality can make a pretty quick impact. Elano for example.

Dont know if ya being ironic or not but thats not what id call a good idea, only the truly world class managers have that knack of being able to intergrate many new top class players in a short time. Signing loads of players would be a terrible idea, for a start it would colectively destroy the morale of the current team who are having potential replacements signed right in front of them. It needs to be done slowly, filling in the weaknesses of the 1st team, then the squad, once the first team and squad is amply filled, then you start trying to improve the overall quality of the squad. Singing 5-6 top quality players sounds like a good idea,but i would bet the last £23.37 of my overdraft that it would fail miserably, Tottenham and Man U a few years back are shining examples of this.

Parky was intimating that if we could sign a top class player in January we should. We arent going to have 8 top class players all wanting to sign for us. We might catch the odd one if the market is in our favour. Ruling out bringing in a player like Arshavin during January isnt good business if someone else signs him. We're struggling to stay in touch with the top 8.

The defence needs to settle down, i think we have a good set of players back there and it will take a bit of time. An attacking player of high quality can make a pretty quick impact. Elano for example.

Yeh, you're reading it right, if you read my first post i say that i dont think that Mort is ruling out signing players which are needed, but is trying to restrict the idea of signing players to replace the ones we're gonna lose in Jan. I think that its excellent that he's being pro-active rather than reactive.

Also im sayin that its not a great idea trying to sign lots of players in January, not only would we be paying premium (do we as nufc fans never learn) on avergae players but also its at the key point of the season when we get to the business end of the season, the last thing we need as a club is to have to try and intergrate foriegn stars into a new league and a new culture, its notoriously difficult to try and intergrate new players into your club, something that a lot of clubs struggle with (including ourselves) and generally effects there performances as a team.

Parky said that we should sign as many top quality players as soon as possible, ie the Jan transfer period whic i disagreed with. Does any think that Elano would of had the same impact on City if he dint have the likes of Petrov, Geovanni, etc surrounding him and providing great support. I personally dont think he would of had the same impact at nufc with the likes of milner and Geremi either side of him.

I agree with that. I don't know anything about Arshavin but we should play it by ear and only go for top quality and/or youth. We don't need more squad fillers.

Sam = Chris?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1188001,00.html

And, while Big Sam admits that it will be a huge blow to lose the quartet, he accepts that it's a loss experienced by the majority of Premier League managers.

"Losing players in January is going to be a big problem for me and everyone else in the Premier League," said the United boss who went on to add that he could look for reinforcements in the next transfer window.

"We've got four going and we've got to try and do something about it in January, to bring somebody in to help out the situation.

"If I was going to sign anyone it would be with a much longer-term view than January and February.

"We had nine new signings in the summer. I think part of the difficulty we've had - particularly in defence - is getting those guys working together.

"I'm not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season."

:idiot2:

Sam = Chris?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1188001,00.html

And, while Big Sam admits that it will be a huge blow to lose the quartet, he accepts that it's a loss experienced by the majority of Premier League managers.

"Losing players in January is going to be a big problem for me and everyone else in the Premier League," said the United boss who went on to add that he could look for reinforcements in the next transfer window.

"We've got four going and we've got to try and do something about it in January, to bring somebody in to help out the situation.

"If I was going to sign anyone it would be with a much longer-term view than January and February.

"We had nine new signings in the summer. I think part of the difficulty we've had - particularly in defence - is getting those guys working together.

"I'm not convinced adding another two names in defence is necessarily going to be the solution this season."

:idiot2:

What's wrong with that?  He's signed a whole new defence and hasn't, through injury and the need for players to acclimatise, been able to field a settled back 4.  It's only when he's able to do that that we can see whether they can work as a unit.  Throwing another defender or two into the mix isn't necessarily going to improve matters.

As others have said, I'd like to think that if the right player becomes available Allardyce will be allowed to go for him. No reason as yet to doubt that will happen. Quotes to the press are just that.

I'd like to think that as well.

But the signs aren't that good unless it is a smokescreen. He could have said what you just said ie "If quality becomes available we will look at it seriously"...Or words to that effect. But he doesn't he almost says the opposite ie looking primarily at young players. I also hope to god SA isn't looking at yet more defensive players. The thing is Dave the quicker we get into Euro the easier it will be to attract quality and faster the momentum will build. Long term development is all well and good.....But our competitiors are doing that anyway.

This isn't a dig at Mort at all, I like him and he is a winner. But sometimes I look at him and would llke to put a rocket up his arse. bluerazz.gif

Your rocket, eh? :laugh:

While i don't especially disagree with the policy, it just sounds to me like a shielded way of saying they want to reserve funds.

Haven't read all the thread btw so apologies if i'm repeating people. :D

To be honest i completely agree with the policy, and the reason you gave of reserving funds is spot on. I dont think its too wrong to believe that 90%of the managers out there think that the January transfer window is a terrible idea, and quite frankly i think it is as well. It's already a foregone conclusion that you will be buying average plyers at inflated prices, its a complete waste of money.

Imagine buying 3 players worth £5m in the summer, how much do you think they'd go for in Januaray?

Off the top of my head it wouldnt be unrealistic to say that each of them would get another £2m added to there tag.  Cumulatively thats an extra £6m we're paying. I mean obviuosly its all assumption but i dont think its too innaccurate. 

Too right they're protecting there funds.

The only use really would be to try and snap up the cheaper younger players who have potential but wont be able to demand an inflated transfer fee because of there lack of impact on the selling team. Giving them more time to develop at there club in the latter stages of there season may increase the price tag, plus whilst most clubs are universally looking to strengthen there squad, we're snapping up the youngster who are getting snapped up in the summer by bigger clubs.

Some rather worrying comments about the Jan window.

Like?

“If I made any signings in January, they’d be young guys who I could see staying for a very long time, not immediate first-team regulars.”

:yikes:

As others have said, I'd like to think that if the right player becomes available Allardyce will be allowed to go for him. No reason as yet to doubt that will happen. Quotes to the press are just that.

I'd like to think that as well.

But the signs aren't that good unless it is a smokescreen. He could have said what you just said ie "If quality becomes available we will look at it seriously"...Or words to that effect. But he doesn't he almost says the opposite ie looking primarily at young players. I also hope to god SA isn't looking at yet more defensive players. The thing is Dave the quicker we get into Euro the easier it will be to attract quality and faster the momentum will build. Long term development is all well and good.....But our competitiors are doing that anyway.

This isn't a dig at Mort at all, I like him and he is a winner. But sometimes I look at him and would llke to put a rocket up his arse. bluerazz.gif

that is correct.

Bobby Robson also set out to look for promising young players, who would maybe become top players.

Needless to say, it didn't work, and there is absolutely no grounds to think it would work again.

Many other clubs do this, and quite a lot do it by necessity. Its not a guaranteed blueprint to success in any shape or form. 

The fact that they aren't prepared to spend money in January ie Mort won't bring in players, is very worrying. it suggests they are happy with our current displays and don't appear to want to attempt to get into europe, as you suggest Parky.

While i don't especially disagree with the policy, it just sounds to me like a shielded way of saying they want to reserve funds.

Haven't read all the thread btw so apologies if i'm repeating people. :D

Haven't you said all along that big signings don't often happen in January? I don't think Ashley would hold back, but I don't think we've identified anyone that's available at a good price, so instead of raising expectations (Shepherd was a master of just that, wasn't he?), he's just saying what is most likely.

Fact? The only fact is that final paragraph is laughable.

All will be revealed eventually. Lets just hope that the "right players" don't go elsewhere while we are more concerned with balancing the books instead.

All will be revealed eventually. Lets just hope that the "right players" don't go elsewhere while we are more concerned with balancing the books instead.

Indeed. Nice to make up assumptions on the future based on nothing though.

Indeed. I suppose it's easier to make up assumptions on the future based on nothing though.

No judgement as yet, but you can see certain signs from Morts statement unless you choose to be blind to it.

Indeed. I suppose it's easier to make up assumptions on the future based on nothing though.

No judgement as yet, but you can see certain signs from Morts statement unless you choose to be blind to it.

The fact that they aren't prepared to spend money in January

it suggests they are happy with our current displays and don't appear to want to attempt to get into europe

Look like pretty clear judgements to me.

Of course there are perhaps worrying signs in the comments. Let's see what happens first, eh?