Sir Bobby Robson. *New poll*

Mick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've altered the poll, I've allowed people to change what they vote for as somebody could come up with a better reason for doing something and it may change how people would have voted if they'd seen it earlier.

Actually, I'm not sure that you can change your vote so get it right first time.

The thread title could do with changing to say that the poll has changed.

I've altered the poll, I've allowed people to change what they vote for as somebody could come up with a better reason for doing something and it may change how people would have voted if they'd seen it earlier.

Actually, I'm not sure that you can change your vote so get it right first time.

They can now. ;)

They can now. ;)

Excellent, I think the possibility of changing it later is a good idea as somebody might come up with a really good case for something which hasn't been thought of yet.

Personally, I'd choose naming the academy AND a pre-season tournament AND leaving an empty seat for him at SJP when he finally goes.

Yeah, I chose to have a pre-season tournament, but also would have chosen to give him something and/or money to charity if you could have.

academy is the best idea i think, suits his acheivements here and his football mentality the best, plus it honours the fact that he's from round here as there'll be local lads training there

The academy is a good idea, but only once it's been all set up properly. Right now it would be like naming a turd after him tbh...

I  like thetournament idea but i think we'd be setting ourselves up for a hiding season after season, personally the acamdemy is by faw and away the best idea, saving a seat for him is a little bit too sad for my liking, i'd rather we had something positve and not too overstated, SBR is a legend in the game, but not quite a legend for newcastel, sad to say but its true. The academy would summarise everything he stood for, bringing in talented youth into the game, it would be related to the club he loved and wont be ridiculed for being too grand a gesture. I'm sure its all been said before but this is the idea that makes most sense to me!!!

Naming the academy would be possibly only be linked with him a few times before people just refered to it as 'The Academy'. An annual pre season tournament would be like celebrating his legacy every year and remembering what he did for each club involved. Even if it was just a single match where by they would become the holders of the Robson Trophy and would then play a challenger the following pre season. Ticket money could then be given to his favourite charities or invested into the Newcastle youth setup.

Yeah, I chose to have a pre-season tournament, but also would have chosen to give him something and/or money to charity if you could have.

We could do one thing that would be down to the club with us pestering them and we could also pick the highest one that would be down to us as I would like to do something which was down to us but I didn't vote for it.

I'm not sure a tournament would be something we could arrange so we'd be giving the club a potential massive headache, the academy is something that the club can do without involving anybody outside of the club so it's quite easy to do while being a very good gesture.

Think of all of the work we'd have to do without even knowing if we'd be able to achieve our objectives with a tournament.

This would be a massive task, even for a club with all of the resources they have.

Perhaps it could be worth sending out preliminary feelers to the club? i.e. we outline various things the club could do and someone writes a 500 word argument about why and how each suggestion could be done, and then the club can then respond to tell us what suggestions they are receptive to. That way we can't run down an impossible alley.

I'd be happy to write an argument supporting the pre-season tournament.

Raise cash. I love Robson, but I don't think the other things are good ideas. He didn't do THAT much for us; the other things are something we would give to someone that won something for us.

Hope that doesn't sound ungrateful at all, because it's not supposed to be.

No disrespect to Sir Bob, but why on earth would you name a stand after him? Is there a Harvey stand, a McDonald stand, a Keegan stand??

:nope:

As much as I like Sir bobby all his acivements are not assosiated with Newcastle United. Naming stand for him will be a phony thing to do and it doesn't make sense. May be having pre season tournament between teams he managed would be a good idea. Porto, Barcelona, Newcastle, PSV perhaps.

As much as I like Sir bobby all his acivements are not assosiated with Newcastle United. Naming stand for him will be a phony thing to do and it doesn't make sense. May be having pre season tournament between teams he managed would be a good idea. Porto, Barcelona, Newcastle, PSV perhaps.

Have to agree, Robson is a great man and for a very short time in the clubs history did great things for the club, but i just dont think the club should name something after him or putting statues up etc.. We as fans all respect him and what he did for the club and i think if we do anything for him it should be direct from us as fans,raise cash for a gift of some kind to be picked up just before kick off when the stadium is full and show him what he means to us..

Some great ideas about a empty seat in his name etc, but think we should be putting these kind of ideas forward to be used at wembley where the whole of the country can respect him AFTER he passes away(lets not write him off just yet).

Guest Knightrider

As Sir Bobby is a coach first and foremost and has always prided himself on giving youth a chance, I think naming the academy after him would be a fitting choice personally and something I'd vote for. I think it would also be symbolic too, giving that he himself is a local lad done good, which most academy lads will all be hoping to follow. In fact that's what the academy is all about or should be.

Naming a stand after him would for me be quite phoney while a statue might be stretching it too far as well. Although I think the City itself should build a statue for him considering what he means to the people, the area and indeed what he has achieved in his life.

As Sir Bobby is a coach first and foremost and has always prided himself on giving youth a chance, I think naming the academy after him would be a fitting choice personally and something I'd vote for. I think it would also be symbolic too, giving that he himself is a local lad done good, which most academy lads will all be hoping to follow. In fact that's what the academy is all about or should be.

Naming a stand after him would for me be quite phoney while a statue might be stretching it too far as well. Although I think the City itself should build a statue for him considering what he means to the people, the area and indeed what he has achieved in his life.

I would agree with that, especially as it was Sir Bobby moaning about having to train down the beach in winter because all of the fields being frozen, he had to fight hard but he got it in the end.  I think that fight will help us make a case for naming it after him more than naming a stand after him, not that I'd have a problem with the stand.

Guest Knightrider

I would agree with that, especially as it was Sir Bobby moaning about having to train down the beach in winter because all of the fields being frozen, he had to fight hard but he got it in the end.  I think that fight will help us make a case for naming it after him more than naming a stand after him, not that I'd have a problem with the stand.

He's a great believer in youth Sir Bobby, would love to see the academy named after him. A fitting legacy to the man, the manager, the coach and his acheivements.

I wouldn't like to see a stand named after him though, if only because I'd see it as a token gesture more than anything or something without any real meaning. Same for Shearer or KK.

Regarding statues, I tell you what, I'd love to see figures of all the greats lining the entire ring around SJP, from Shearer to Sir Bobby all the way to Wee Hughie and other greats, a kind of whos who of NUFC, a legends parade.

No disrespect to Sir Bob, but why on earth would you name a stand after him? Is there a Harvey stand, a McDonald stand, a Keegan stand??

:nope:

Exactly. The guy's a legend, but for what he did before he came to SJP. He's Ipswich's icon, not ours.