Sir Bobby Robson. *New poll*

Mick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like the idea of having a the youth building being named after him, its not too understated as its integral to the club, but is also not too overstated such as having a stand named after him, to be fair, his name is actually more syonmonous with Ipswich than it is with nufc, and respectively speaking he cant be remembered in the same vain as Milburn because his achievements for the club cant be compared with Milburn.

Would be willing to be part with just about any reasonable sum of money for something honoring Sir Bobby.

I agree that stand-naming should probably be reserved for people with a longer career with a club. The youth academy idea sounds good to me.

I really think the best we could do would be to maybe get some cash together and buy something from the fans and hope he'd be able to come to St James' to pick it up and be given a really good reception. 

James - excellent post :clap:

Mick how about proposing to the club a voluntary levy of say £1 on every season ticket for next year only and then using that cash to do something?

The fund could then be added to by those without season tickets as they wish.

I like the idea of a Pre-Season tournament with say Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon & PSV. Couldn't see any of those clubs turning it down either.

Its not a bad idea but whether the old boy will be around to see it is another thing. Also, the reason I suggested the stand naming thing is that it's not just a one-off and 'we're in the Bobby Robson Stand' or 'I'll see you outside the SBR enclosure' or whatever will be there for the long term.

His name will be used everyday as well as in Geordie folklore.

The thing with naming stands though is you get into a debate about who's worthy for one. I'm sure Joe Harvey would have a case for a stand, etc.

You do but my point in the original post suggested it was more around his services to football as a whole and specifically in the north east.

He's not an ex-player but he dragged us from relegation 'likelies' to Champions League contenders.

I do see your point though.

Naming the academy after him is probably the most fitting idea.

His dream was to see 11 Englishmen on the pitch at SJP, preferably from the academy, and more preferable them being local lads who supported the club.

Always one to take a risk on youth, breaking transfer fee records for young players, always saw himself as someone who could bring a career on.

Naming the academy after him is probably the most fitting idea.

His dream was to see 11 Englishmen on the pitch at SJP, preferably from the academy, and more preferable them being local lads who supported the club.

Always one to take a risk on youth, breaking transfer fee records for young players, always saw himself as someone who could bring a career on.

:clap:

I'll change the poll tomorrow(edit, sometime today), the academy is a cracking idea considering how he had to fight so hard to get it, cracking idea but still not from us so maybe this should have two parts if we go that way.

This was the result of the original question.

Question: Would you be interested in doing something to honour Sir Bobby?

I'll help organise  9 (9.5%)

I'll donate  41 (43.2%)

I'll do both of the above  28 (29.5%)

I'll not bother thanks  17 (17.9%)

Total Voters: 95