Fulham 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 15/12/07 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

I was happy with how it went today. We kept a clean sheet and our defenders stood strong against some long bouts of pressure from Fulham. There were some mistakes, but thankfully we got away with it.

Emre should be on from the start against Derby next week. I'd also welcome Faye back into the squad over Roz. If we pick up Wes Brown in January, it's hard to imagine that Roz will get many starts, but he'll be a good squad player for us.

Even though we've been squeaking out wins as of late, I'm not convinced of the 4-3-3. We were dominated in midfield in the 2nd half, and I think a 4-4-2 would give us more of a presence in the middle that is sadly lacking.

Duff Faye Owen back next week

Faye should walk straight back into one of the CB slots. The other two have alot to prove still and should be on the bench.

Big Sam play Martins ahead of Owen? You must be joking! Once Owen gets about 30 minutes in against Derby he will start until injured again IMO

Anyone know the situation with Enrique? It's getting a little silly now. I don't think N'Zogbia looks comfortable there at all.

It's crazy in some respects, N'Zogbia could bring so much more to our game if he was starting from further up the pitch.  Playing him at the back might actually help his game eventually if he goes back up because he'll have learned something about defending but for now, it's mad.  I've seen nothing in Enrique to suggest he'll not make it here, he needs games and games like today would do him good. 

If Allardyce is trying to keep things settled then fair enough as he had to bring Cacapa back for an injured Taylor.

Yea i think it is a case of SA just trying to get a settled team and then slowly ease players in. We had a lot of new players in the summer and i think it shows in some of or play.

Guest Knightrider

A win with a clean sheet, away from home, in London? Fucking fantastic result.

The performance from a footballing perspective was poor but the team performed excellently I thought in terms of discipline, team shape, tactics, work rate, fitness and defending. We were never in any kind of trouble at any stage of the match which is rarer than rocking horse shit where we are concerned.

In the opening 20 minutes I thought we were particularly impressive, penning them in direct style while also trying to play football at times with some good moves around their box.

After that it become a poor game but we must give Fulham credit for the way they first handled our early pressure and secondly how they themselves got stuck into us in the second half.

If we can pick up a few more wins in the coming weeks we will be nicely placed in the table to push on in the new year where the manager will hopefully be able to strengthen further so that we can finish the season strongly ready for next season which will be the time to judge just how things are going in terms of progression under Big Sam and the new board and owner.

Well done the manager, lads and the 4,000 plus who went.

"Shut up you twat." :lol:

:lol: Deserved it though, a minute isn't long to stay silent.

Who told who to shut up?

In the minutes silence some lad was shouting so one bloke just bellows "Shut up you twat" at him. obviously everyone heard seeing as it was silent.  :laugh:

Given 6 - not a great deal to do, kicked it long too much for my liking.

Beye 7 - made some great tackles and blocks and on that basis is our man of the match BUT bouazza got the better of him too many times, or was simply given too much space, and when we needed width down the right, he was never there to supply it.

Cacapa 6 - pretty good i thought, read the game well and whenever he looked like he was struggling he'd use his experience to win the foul or shepherd it out.

Rozehnal 5 - too dodgy on too many occasions

N'Zogbia 5.5 - nowt special, didn't get forward enough especially in the 2nd half

Geremi 5 - pretty poor game but no worse than a few others who have received less criticism

Butt 4 - probably the worst player on the pitch, gave the ball away many times, shocking passing, torpid movement

Barton 6 - the most energetic of our midfield three and darted forward on occasion, but despite the effort he lacks quality to be the creative 'fulcrum' as parky would say. well taken pen.

Milner 5 - put a fair amount of crosses into the box but when you compare his delivery to bouazza's you can see how much we're missing. played too deep, like an orthodox winger, never got on the inside to support smith. decent pull back for viduka iirc, sadly the fatman was too sluggish to stick it in the back of the net.

Smith 6 - didn't hold his position well enough, never spearheading the team but launching into tackles in midfield or even in defence. had one or two good flickons in the first half and did well to win the pen. almost gave a goal away with a silly piece of defending.

Martins 5 - poor game, only moment of quality was the backheel which put milner clear in the box and deserved more than milner's poor pull back. positioning was bad but almost the opposite of milner's, played centrally when he shouldve been pulling out to the flanks.

emre and viduka gave us a bit more class on the ball as well as vision. unfortunately viduka was brought on for martins our one pace outlet, which defeats the point of having someone able to thread balls through. emre has to play if we go for a midfield three, as he then has two beside him to compensate for his wanderings upfield and all the risks he takes in possession. as soon as he came on he beat a player and played a lovely ball down the left for martins.

overall a very lucky win, had we lost that we couldn't have had too many complaints while a draw would've been fair enough. i worry that sam will see this as justification for his style of football and the continual misuse of players. while bouazza was probably the best player on the pitch, we had n'zogbia who is just as good stuck at left-back, as well as milner and martins playing out of position, and our lone-striker who couldnt present a goal threat if his life depended on it.

right just got back, barton was shite all the way through really was really nervous when he took the penalty but its the result that mattered. pretty crap game, although the whole away stand went mental after the goal. cant say we deserved it really, it was destined for 0-0. the defence was good, especially beye. PLEASE SAM 442 with zog left milner right, jose enrique at LB and no more stupid long balls to martins which we can all see DO NOT WORK. lets hope we can build on this and start a good run.

Guest gallowgate

A win with a clean sheet, away from home, in London? Fucking fantastic result.

The performance from a footballing perspective was poor but the team performed excellently I thought in terms of discipline, team shape, tactics, work rate, fitness and defending. We were never in any kind of trouble at any stage of the match which is rarer than rocking horse shit where we are concerned.

In the opening 20 minutes I thought we were particularly impressive, penning them in direct style while also trying to play football at times with some good moves around their box.

After that it become a poor game but we must give Fulham credit for the way they first handled our early pressure and secondly how they themselves got stuck into us in the second half.

If we can pick up a few more wins in the coming weeks we will be nicely placed in the table to push on in the new year where the manager will hopefully be able to strengthen further so that we can finish the season strongly ready for next season which will be the time to judge just how things are going in terms of progression under Big Sam and the new board and owner.

Well done the manager, lads and the 4,000 plus who went.

Top post coach, thats how I read it...

Tbf, Milner also put in a good cross that Barton headed straight at Niemi.

that's one of the ones i was talking about which shows how poor his delivery is compared to bouazza's. put in at 2mph taking about half an hour to come down from the heavens for a chance that barton would have to do something special with to score. and that was his best one!

that's one of the ones i was talking about which shows how poor his delivery is compared to bouazza's. put in at 2mph taking about half an hour to come down from the heavens for a chance that barton would have to do something special with to score. and that was his best one!

What Milner seems to do is aim for someone specific in the box all the time where he should take a chance and blast one across goal like Bouazza seemed to try everytime he got it. I thought Milny did well though but so did their right back, who had a brilliant game.

Can't have been that bad a cross, it was on a plate for Barton. If he'd managed to head it anywhere else, it'd been a goal.