Fulham 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 15/12/07 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

The reason is that if you are right-footed, you naturally have more control over delivery of crosses, esp when on the move(which is when they SHOULD be sent in in order to wrong-foot defenders running towards their own goal) IF you are delivering from the right - likewise if you are left-footed, like Zog - the ball is best delivered into the box with your better foot(i.e. the left in his case).

If you are playing out of position, the tendency is either to mis-hit the cross or deliver it into the wrong place(because you are using the weaker foot) OR to check back, turn, and try to get the ball on to your stronger foot(which Milner does all the time..!).

Either way, the danger created by these type of crosses is far less than if done properly - some players are skilled enough to hit a cross in accurately with BOTH feet, but I don't think either Milner or Zog are good enough to do this.

Hope that answers your question.

Aye, cheers!

I disagree, to some extent, though. Without Viduka in the side, crosses from the byline - or even from deep - will most likely be wasted, as we don't really have the finishers to pull it off, at least Martins isn't very good at finishing with his head. As it is now, Milner usually cuts in and hits it with the right (iirc), meaning the cross will be more directed towards the goal instead of swinging away from it. All it takes is a little touch to wrong foot the keeper, really. Also, he's more likely to get into a shooting position when playing on the left, which he's good at, and should be encouraged to.

That said, none of this really is working as it should, and I do believe we would be more efficient going forward if we had both Zog and Milner on either flank. But I can see how it would be useful to put Milner on the left, as opposed to what seems like the general consensus on here.

We got 3 points we didn't deserve, kept a clean sheet & have taken an extra 4 points from goals in stoppage time in the last 2 games - let's just take it.

Sam will look at those 2 games & see that we didn't play well in either & that had Beye not scored against Brum & had Fulham taken either of the chances we presented to them (as a decent team would have done) we would be sitting with 1 point instead of 6.

The defence is going to take some sorting out; the lack of understanding between players is painful at times - somebody has to take charge back there. When you see that we had Cacapa & Beye - both captains at their previous club - playing it is all the more worrying. Roze desperately needs someone to keep him on his toes.

We must now go on and beat Derby.

Defence needs work on understanding yes, but thats a problem that can be sorted just by them playing together regular(although id put faye in for Rozenhal) its not a huge problem as theres quality in the whole defence.  and its easy to say if we hadnt scored here and they had scored there so and so would have happened and we wouldnt have had 7 points from 9, but if your going to talk like that then had we took our chances in the last 2/3 games as well as the opposition we would still be on at leat 7 points from 9 and have a better goal diffrence.  I think we need to look more at the positives than negatives.

Butt forced a good save as well from an Emre free-kick.

On the topic of Emre, his set-pieces have been excellent this season when he's been on. Can count 4 goals off the top of my head that have came from an Emre free-kick or corner (Owen v Everton, Cacapa v Spurs, Duberry og v Reading & Beye v Brum) . Butt should have scored yesterday from one as well.

I would say the approach was wrong but FS was too lucky to get all 3 points.

I understand that we have the strongest defensive power in midfield when playing Barton/Geremi/Butt,

but that's only Fulham ffs.

I would have no complaint if our opponent is any other top 6 teams which we'll play a counter-attack style football like what we did vs Arsenal,

but now it's only Fulham, a match which we should have at least half of the possession.

FS should play Emre instead of Geremi/Barton, or in extreme cases, N'Zogbia in middle is also a good idea.

Too lucky to have 3 points, but we really need them. Sorry Fulham.

:lol:

Guest Knightrider

To say we didn't deserve 3 points is fine but to say Fulham did is something else. I was quite happy to watch a really boring game TBH.

Same here. In fact I found the game interesting and I got quite a bit from it from an observational point of view.

I thought it was the sort of away performance we should be after this season. We're never going to play teams off the park, but yesterday we were solid on the whole, and created 3-4 very good chances. If we'd put in that sort of performance at Derby & Reading we'd be right in the hunt for the top 6.

I thought it was the sort of away performance we should be after this season. We're never going to play teams off the park, but yesterday we were solid on the whole, and created 3-4 very good chances. If we'd put in that sort of performance at Derby & Reading we'd be right in the hunt for the top 6.

From the looks of it, that's what Sam is going for. Building a team capable of grinding out results away from home - which is great, if he succeeds at it.

Excellent post, We should get results first then start thinking about improving our game. Home games are a different story but for now i'd be happy for a few more away wins even if they aint as entertaining as we would like.

Excellent post, We should get results first then start thinking about improving our game. Home games are a different story but for now i'd be happy for a few more away wins even if they aint as entertaining as we would like.

yes, but lets not  forget we were seconds away from drawing 0-0 and everyone complaining about how boring the football is. i agree with the sentiment that we need to get results rather than entertaining everyone but that game we were seconds away fromm 0-0 which i wouldnt personally regard as a result playing against a bottom 3 side. i still say attack and go for all 3 points no matter who we are playing.

The game had 0-0 written all over it. However, it wasn't a great performance, but we've got 3 points from the sort of game we seem to have been losing the the post-SBR era. Hopefully we'll get a few more results like this as the season wears on.

martins is such a un-intelligent player, hes useless, all hes good for is running ,and the total unpredictability he brings to the team

he has no knowledge, and some of his runs, are miles offside, when strikers should go to attack the nearpost, martins sits and waits back post, with about 3 defenders between him and the crosser

frustrates me so much

then he will score a goal, and the fans will think hes done enough and sing his name

martins is not long term, and if the oppertunity arrives id move him on, not now, but if we get the chance, id rather have ashton or, if im very lucky anelka, who knows how to play football, finish and is clever

martins just doenst give anything to the team when hes not in the game, and he hasnt this season at all really done much

i appreciate he has raw pace, but his positioning and passing are so poor

anyway rant over haha

3 points looked like robbery with  violence TBH

but then it works both ways over a season

We've had more than our share of being the victim - after dominating games far more than Fulham did here - FAR more - so it's a nice change to be the mugger - its rare that happens.

martins is such a un-intelligent player, hes useless, all hes good for is running ,and the total unpredictability he brings to the team

he has no knowledge, and some of his runs, are miles offside, when strikers should go to attack the nearpost, martins sits and waits back post, with about 3 defenders between him and the crosser

frustrates me so much

then he will score a goal, and the fans will think hes done enough and sing his name

martins is not long term, and if the oppertunity arrives id move him on, not now, but if we get the chance, id rather have ashton or, if im very lucky anelka, who knows how to play football, finish and is clever

martins just doenst give anything to the team when hes not in the game, and he hasnt this season at all really done much

anyway rant over haha

We have another 3 strikers to replace before we think about getting rid of Martins.

Ashton is too big a risk aswell.

frustrates me so much

anyway rant over haha

As much as i rate Martins....i tend to agree with you.