Rate the Summer Signings....

La Parka

Happy to rate them properly at the end of the season, most players havent even got close to getting into their stride and next to none of foreign signings have had time to adapt.

Beye is looking like a duck to water though.

I expect Roz to pick up the pace eventually, Cacapa will be a rock with faye.

Barton is getting better, Smith hasnt been great so far but hasnt been settled into one position.

Geremi has been the most dissapointing so far

Enrique needs more time, looks good though, like Roz and cacapa will be good once settled.

Viduka hasnt played enough, needs to stay fit, but looks good when he has been fit, doesnt quite look sharp enough (for obvious reasons) the rest of the time.

This.

Agreed.  This is part of the problem of writing players off before they have got into the side or their stride.

Enrique - 2/10 - Hasn't really played

Please tell me you're taking the piss.

No.

I like the look of him when Ive seen him, but how can he be rated highly when he basically hasn't played?

£6.7m was it? I'd like to see him starting, especially as he cost that much and is our only LB in the squad.

I'm totally in the camp that wants him starting, and Zoggy in midfield. But, so far Enrique has barely played, hence the low rating.

Whey hey, football manager.....

At least some common sense is now appearing as some people have realised Smith can't be judged as a midfielder. He obviously shouldn't be judged on goals scored either.  The fact is the team has looked better in almost every game where he's played as a striker, inidicating he must be doing something for the team. I realise this can't show up in statistics though, so that's some people well and truly knackered when it comes to judging a footballer.

Anyway, it's too early for a thread like this.

spot on. word for word.

Ratings like this do my fucking head in!!

No.

I like the look of him when Ive seen him, but how can he be rated highly when he basically hasn't played?

£6.7m was it? I'd like to see him starting, especially as he cost that much and is our only LB in the squad.

I'm totally in the camp that wants him starting, and Zoggy in midfield. But, so far Enrique has barely played, hence the low rating.

Well...to the camp that wants him starting: What if he plays 3 games on the trot let's say, where he has 2 decent games and then a nightmare 3rd!!? What would the newcastle fans do? and the media??? Everyone got on Cacapa's back for slipping up against Pompey. He's 31, and was a FREE signing. Can you imagine what the fans and media would do to a 21 yr old Spaniard who cost us over 6M??? Big Sam is obviously protecting him from bollocks like this. Big fee, 5 yr deal. He's obviously a long term solution. Be fucking patient man!!

No.

Well...to the camp that wants him starting: What if he plays 3 games on the trot let's say, where he has 2 decent games and then a nightmare 3rd!!? What would the newcastle fans do? and the media??? Everyone got on Cacapa's back for slipping up against Pompey. He's 31, and was a FREE signing. Can you imagine what the fans and media would do to a 21 yr old Spaniard who cost us over 6M??? Big Sam is obviously protecting him from bollocks like this. Big fee, 5 yr deal. He's obviously a long term solution. Be fucking patient man!!

Calm down! Wots that rant all about?! Think you are directing that at the wrong person?

If you see, Ive rated Cacapa highly, just want him playing more often...

No.

Well...to the camp that wants him starting: What if he plays 3 games on the trot let's say, where he has 2 decent games and then a nightmare 3rd!!? What would the newcastle fans do? and the media??? Everyone got on Cacapa's back for slipping up against Pompey. He's 31, and was a FREE signing. Can you imagine what the fans and media would do to a 21 yr old Spaniard who cost us over 6M??? Big Sam is obviously protecting him from bollocks like this. Big fee, 5 yr deal. He's obviously a long term solution. Be f****** patient man!!

Calm down! Wots that rant all about?! Think you are directing that at the wrong person?

If you see, Ive rated Cacapa highly, just want him playing more often...

I'm calm mate! Post quoted yours, but wasn't directed at you only. Just don't understand what the rush is with Enrique. At the moment, we're grinding out results, and although our midfield is suffering from it, Zoggy has done alright at LB. I would rather we got the results gradually, while continuing to ease Enrique in, than to risk playing him and ending his career here before it's even started because of the fickle element in our fan base.

No.

You shouldn't have given him a rating at all. That's the point.

It's too early for threads like this. Simple as that, really.

No.

He's a young lad in a foreign country being eased in slowly, correctly IMO, by Sam.  Give him a chance is all people are saying.

As you yourself say he has hardly played but you're still happy to judge him, and by giving him 2/10 you're essentially saying you think he's shit.  Patience.

Habib Beye has certaintly done the most since his summer move, followed closely by Abdoulaye Faye. I think it is the presence of Beye when attacking down the right hand side which we have lacked in recent years that has appealed to the supporters.

Faye looks a rock and wins most things in the air, almost fearless when challenging for a ball.

Cacapa looks like he has true class, but due to the short attention span of fans who can only remember 11 minutes of a game against Portsmouth he should be dropped as he is crap. Watching the Fulham game yesterday, his presence at the back made Newcastle look solid and often made a few last ditch challenges to keep a clean sheet. I think given time his ability will shine through and help younger players at the back.

Rozehnal looks good when going forward, but there is always the chance he will be outmuscled or lose the flight of the ball and we will conceed. I think that he would be ore suited to the defensive midfielder role, picking up the pieces and carrying the ball forward, rather than the last line of defence.

Geremi has been indifferent and my main criticism is that he doesn't seem to want to get stuck in, often pulling out of challenges. He can be quite slow as well, but has great set pieces and an eye for a good pass. At least he goes forward rather than side to side or backwards.

Smith gets stuck in and seems to excel in the hold up role, but he never looks like scoring. I think that he will get his fare share of assists given time and maybe an odd goal.

Joey Barton hasn't set the world alight up here, but again given time he will surely develop some fine form and help steer Newcastle to wins against teams like Fulham. He also showed some bottle to take the penalty yesterday after a disappointing performance.

I wouldn't like to pass judgement on Enrique just yet as he hasn't really played and could be one for the future. He looked strong at the back, but resorted to the long ball quite often. As for people saying he should be in for N'Zogbia etc, why change an undefeated team? If we lose the game he makes changes "he doesn't know what he is doing" will be the response from some fans.

Mark Viduka has done ok when he has played, showing some magical touches and amazing strength, but my main gripe is his injuries to date. He will get us goals against lower sides.

Guest Geordiesned

Giving someone like Enrique a low rating simply because he hasn't played much is like Alan Oliver rating a substitute who only played the last 5 minutes of a game. It's completely pointless.

I'm happy with all the defenders Sam brought in.. it's unrealistic to expect them to perform much better as a unit than they're doing at the moment..

Smith proved that he can be useful, but i'm not sure we really need a player of his type in attack.

Barton still seems unfit, but he's slowly improving and he's the type of character that won't settle for mediocre displays, so i'm sure he'll hit form sooner rather than later..

Geremi hasn't really done anything and i still can't figure out what his best position is. I think he needs to be dropped.

Viduka has done well and gives us the much needed physical presence in attack but clearly we can't rely on him because of his injuries..

and as for crumpy cunt, the little miserable git..he obviously has very high standards on things.. i bet he drives around in a Rolls Royce and fucks supermodels when he's not posting shit in here.

Smith has impressed me the last few matches. Not a goal threat, but never really has been, but when Owen's back I think he'd be the perfect foil. Not sure on him & Martins together though because neither of them are the sort you'd back if you got one chance fall to you in the area...but with Owen, I think Smith could do a job.

Half of you don't even rate Beye. Just because you copy/past from "Thespence" who forgot all about our best signing, Beye!...

It was late & I was copying the names from the OP but as Beye was mingled into a paragraph I forgot to pick him up.  As for Beye I love watching him as he is fully commited.

Barton's been absolutely terrible so far, but I'm willing to give him more time...

I think he has been getting better, he seems to have an eye for the odd quick pass that splits a defence which is quite good to see.

No.

He's a young lad in a foreign country being eased in slowly, correctly IMO, by Sam.  Give him a chance is all people are saying.

As you yourself say he has hardly played but you're still happy to judge him, and by giving him 2/10 you're essentially saying you think he's shit.  Patience.

Wot he said.

Barton's been absolutely terrible so far, but I'm willing to give him more time...

I think he has been getting better, he seems to have an eye for the odd quick pass that splits a defence which is quite good to see.

Yeah, he is getting better, I think I'm just a little dissapointed as I expected much more from him....although there's still time.

Beye - 8/10

Roz - 5/10 (shaky shaky)

Cacapa - 7/10

Barton - 6/10 (looks too slow)

Smith - 6/10 (position unknown)

Geremi - 5/10 (too slow and one dimensional)

Enrique 4/10 (not seen too much of him)

Viduka 6/10 (a couple of good goals)

He is definitely a better player than we have seen so far, still finding his feet I reckon.

Agreed.  Still getting his match fitness after missing so many games through injury.  Based on his time at Man City he should do ok for us.

Whey hey, football manager.....

At least some common sense is now appearing as some people have realised Smith can't be judged as a midfielder. He obviously shouldn't be judged on goals scored either.  The fact is the team has looked better in almost every game where he's played as a striker, inidicating he must be doing something for the team. I realise this can't show up in statistics though, so that's some people well and truly knackered when it comes to judging a footballer.

Anyway, it's too early for a thread like this.

It does, in the most important statistic of them all, which is why he shouldn't be anywhere near one of our forward positions either...

mackems.gif

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply to you, but did you read what I posted or did you just fail to grasp the meaning? You said, "it does." Well, what does? Tell me.

Imo, individual statistics aren't that important. What is really important is the TEAM. If the general play is consistently good enough and effective enough you will do ok overall, the team will win matches and will climb the table. If certain individuals appear to have 'ace' statistics but the overall TEAM play is s*** and ineffective, the TEAM will do nowt. A recent and good example being the much raved about Parker, who is apparently a "great player" according to many of the stats people on here because he had the highest number of completed passes while at Newcastle.  mackems.gif 

Carry on basing everything on newspaper statistics if that's what you prefer but I'll make up my mind by watching football matches.

Ta

Goals win you games. Strikers/forwards are supposed to score and/or create goals, more so than other players on the pitch anyway. By playing a striker who hardly ever scores but works very hard, we may be slightly easier on the eye, but I can't see it benefiting us for the most important team statistic: points gained.. Besides, apart from working hard, what exactly does Alan Smith contribute that makes him worth his 6M price tag?

Goalscoring - nope

Technique - nope

Vision - nope

Creativity - nope

Holding the ball up - nope

I'd go as far as to say Ameobi is a better striker, and I don't rate Shola at all! I have to admit our football has improved slightly in the last few matches and Smith was exceptionally good vs Arsenal, but vs Birmingham and Fulham he was more or less what I would have expected from Smith as a forward: hard working but ineffective and never threathening.