4-3-3 will improve us

Yorkie

Guest shaun11177

Man Utd actually play a 4411 with Rooney in the hole behind Tevez, they are allowed to roam as are the wingers.

There isnt one best formation, if there was everyone would be playing it. Certain players are suited to different roles so we get 442,4312, and 4231.etc, but i dont understand a Manager trying to shoehorn players into a formation which they are clearly unsuitable for.

When the teams from 10th to 5th are pretty even, the team with the best balance will finish 5th and the opposite 10th.

Guest Knightrider

4-3-3 is the ultimate and most flexible formation ever concepted in football and will be a huge success for us, once we have the players for it...

Guest Knightrider

The only reason we've done better recently is because we've had a settled side, I'm sure we would have at least done as well if we'd stuck with 4-4-2 and I'm equally sure that the football would have been more exciting.

Regardless of what formation you use unless you have a settled side that formation isn't going to work regularly so I agree 4-3-3 isn't responsible for our recent run of form, however nor would 4-4-2 have been or any other formation. A settled side, some pride and some good fortune is responsible for our run of form, everything else just helping things along.

We're playing 4-4-2 at SJP and 4-3-3 in the majority of away games, I can't complain too much. I think when you look at the results and compare them with the formations we played, you'd find that 4-4-2 at home has garnered more points at home, while 4-5-1/4-3-3 has done the same away. Obviously Allardyce has used these formations far more, but they've done okay. People screaming for N'Zogbia/Milner on the flanks are quick to forget Portsmouth smashed us 4-1 at SJP with them there, which might have played on Sam's mind a bit. EDIT: Saying that, he had them fucking swapped over, didn't he? No excuse.

4-4-2 (h) = 8 games = (Beat Wigan, West Ham, Everton, Spurs & Birmingham), (Lost to Portsmouth & Liverpool), (Drew with Arsenal).

4-4-2 (a) = 2 games = (Lost to Derby & Reading).

4-3-3 (h) = 1 game = (Drew with Villa).

4-3-3 (a) = 6 games = (Beat Bolton & Fulham), (Lost to Man City & Blackburn), (Drew with Boro & Mackems).

I understand that a few games had variations in formation (we scored the winner against Wigan playing 4-3-3 in desperation/started 3-5-2 against Liverpool before moving to 4-4-2, etc.) and that sometimes it's been more of a 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 during games, too.

Once we get the right players in the 4-3-3 I'd have even more confidence in it away from home (2W, 2D, 2L isn't bad at all already, especially for NUFC), but I'd still like to see us stick with 4-4-2 at home.

I know the football has been appalling at times, but when you lay it out it still doesn't look too bad when the club has undergone such an overhaul. It's only dirty bastards like Eriksson and Man City who are making us look bad :lol:

Seriously though, if they weren't doing so well then I'd be willing to bet complaints would be cut drastically about our position/results/performances. Fair play to them, though, they've been excellent at the CoM - let's hope they are again tonight.

433 (aka 451 in stealth mode) is kak! Crap formation, kak ideology behind it, and has no history of success in the game of football, and probably never will have!

Aye that Ajax team have been garbage over the years like.

Oh wait, Johan Cruijff says fuck you.

433 (aka 451 in stealth mode) is kak! Crap formation, kak ideology behind it, and has no history of success in the game of football, and probably never will have!

Oh fuck wait, Johan Cruijff says fuck you.

:lol:

Oh f*** wait, Johan Cruijff says f*** you.

The examples you give are always the exception to the domination of 442. How many international tournaments, champions league tournaments, premierships have been won by 433? About 6? How many have been won by 442? about 1,069,991 and counting. Funny thing is, if someone tried telling Johan Cruijff his team were successful because of the formation and that in a different formation the personnel wouldn't have been as successful, he'd probably tell you to f*** yourself, an rightly so!

Oh fuck wait, Johan Cruijff says fuck you.

No, I'm Sorry.  We were looking for "concieved".  Yes, "concieved" is the word we were looking for. Better luck next time!

I think we were actually looking for conceived but never mind

never was good at spelling...

greydos - have you ever wathced a game of football that didn't involve either us or lower league teams?

The examples you give are always the exception to the domination of 442. How many international tournaments, champions league tournaments, premierships have been won by 433? About 6? How many have been won by 442? about 1,069,991 and counting. Funny thing is, if someone tried telling Johan Cruijff his team were successful because of the formation and that in a different formation the personnel wouldn't have been as successful, he'd probably tell you to f*** yourself, an rightly so!

Is this a wind-up? The last three Premierships have been won with 4-3-3. The current leaders play 4-5-1.

People screaming for N'Zogbia/Milner on the flanks are quick to forget Portsmouth smashed us 4-1 at SJP with them there, which might have played on Sam's mind a bit. EDIT: Saying that, he had them fucking swapped over, didn't he? No excuse.

The problem wasn't that Allardyce swapped their wings. It was that having two wingers who aren't strong defensively meant the midfield was over-run.

Is this a wind-up? The last three Premierships have been won with 4-3-3. The current leaders play 4-5-1.

No wind-up. I said history. Football has been played for some 120 years. 433 has been prominent at most in the last 25 years. 3 premiership titles is nothing against a backdrop of 90+ years of non-existence and non-success

False.

Arsenal only play 4-5-1 because of injuries and because Eduardo can't perform in the league. They are a 4-4-2 team no doubt.

Van Persie and Adebayour would start up front together. And a 4-3-3 is a different formation from 4-5-1.

No wind-up. I said history. Football has been played for some 120 years. 433 has been prominent at most in the last 25 years. 3 premiership titles is nothing against a backdrop of 90+ years of non-existence and non-success

What a ridiculous comment. Wasn't 4-2-4 the formation of choice before 4-4-2? And what about 2-3-5, is that the classic football formation? The point it, which one's going to work now, not which one worked best in the past.

People screaming for N'Zogbia/Milner on the flanks are quick to forget Portsmouth smashed us 4-1 at SJP with them there, which might have played on Sam's mind a bit. EDIT: Saying that, he had them fucking swapped over, didn't he? No excuse.

The problem wasn't that Allardyce swapped their wings. It was that having two wingers who aren't strong defensively meant the midfield was over-run.

That was my initial point, but on second thought I decided that it's enough of an ask on Milner/N'Zogbia to chip in effectively with the defending aspect when they're in their natural positions, let alone when they're being told to do something totally alien (well, in N'Zogbia's case at least) in a Premier League game.

A half-fit Barton in the centre and the pedestrian Butt (who struggles in a 4-4-2 these days, from what I can see) probably didn't help either, mind.

What a ridiculous comment. Wasn't 4-2-4 the formation of choice before 4-4-2? And what about 2-3-5, is that the classic football formation? The point it, which one's going to work now, not which one worked best in the past.

What is so ridiculous? I was responding to comments earlier on in this thread along the lines of '433 is the greatest formation ever, it's so brilliant blah blah blah'. I am merely pointing out that before i would label a formation the best 'ever', i would wait till it has some substantial success behind it. I am not saying 442 is the best formation ever, but it's had more success in the history of the game than 433, and so has a much better shout of being labelled the best formation ever. 433 is kak. that was my intial point, and i stand by it.

for all those people that because they can remember 1 successful football team that got success with a formation that is not 442, please don't feel you have to throw that at me as some riposte to my overall point.