Keegan: Michael Owen new club captain

Guest Brazilianbob

Well. Making Owen the captain was a bit of a mistake. Total media own-goal in his first few days as well - gives the press more grist to their mill. :nope:

Now they'll all be speculating that

(a) Micky wears the trousers in the Keegan-Owen relationship and that

(b) Keegan's given in to dressing room pressure.

Dear oh dear oh dear...player power winning already.

[/wum]

Well. Making Owen the captain was a bit of a mistake. Total media own-goal in his first few days as well - gives the press more grist to their mill. :nope:

Now they'll all be speculating that

(a) Micky wears the trousers in the Keegan-Owen relationship and that

(b) Keegan's given in to dressing room pressure.

Dear oh dear oh dear...player power winning already.

[/shit wum]

I think there's a few Newcastle fans heads exploding this morning due to confusion...

"Welcome back the Messiah, f*ck off Owen, Owen captain, Keegan is the messiah, he can do no wrong, messiah Owen, Keegan, Shearer, does...not...compute...." *BANG*

:lol:

first thing he does i disagree with! d'oh!

tho it could work out as a short-term move, it means, this season at least, he can't hide away in the shadows anymore but has to be a vocal and high profile figure attached to the cause. it also assuages fears that keegan doesn't get on with him, and if/when he's ever dropped, one can always fall back on the argument that owen is captain so it's not personal.

the only reason i'm not sure about it is that i don't think he should be automatic starter so i hope captaincy doesn't suggest that he will be.

Guest Gemmill

Why has that spastic James changed the title of this thread?  It now makes fuck all sense when you read it from the first page.

yep, i think Owen has the respect of the dressing room.. i don't think it's particularly important who the captain is on the field, as we don't have a clear leader in the team.. i consider the most important part is that he gets along fine with all his team mates off-field

so, aye, good move, although i've always maintained that Given should be the captain..

Guest The Libertine

would i be right in thinking that if allardyce had made owen his captain, there'd be hell on? is it just that keegan decided this that its a good decision?

Agree there Ethi. It's also a good move for when we're trying to attract players, particularly from abroad. It's easier to convince a player with, "you'll be playing in front of 52,000 fans being led out by captain Michael Owen", than it is if it's Beye, Butt, Cacapa, etc. even if logically they are technically better captains.

would i be right in thinking that if allardyce had made owen his captain, there'd be hell on? is it just that keegan decided this that its a good decision?

Probably. Then again, Owen didn't slate Allardyce in his book, did he?