Alan Smith

tmonkey

just wondering if Smith and the other clowns read this forum.

See the bit in bold. The answer to your question is definitely not: -

Smith’s goal pledge for United

Mar 8 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

ENGLAND international Alan Smith is confident he will soon hit the goal-den trail for Newcastle United.

The former Leeds United and Manchester United man went into this afternoon’s game with Liverpool at Anfield looking for his first goal in a black-and-white shirt.

The goal he scored for England in a friendly against Portugal in 2002 means that he has notched more goals for his country than he has for his club.

Anfield, of course, was the scene of Smith’s horrific injury exactly two years ago when he broke his leg and dislocated his ankle, resulting in a long absence from the game.

As a result, while he scored for Manchester United in the Champions League against Roma last season, you have to go back to November 2005 to find the 27-year-old Yorkshireman’s last goal in the Premier League, when he found the net against Charlton Athletic.

However, while Sam Allardyce mainly used Smith in midfield, Kevin Keegan has usually given Smith a striking role – and he is hoping this is going to give him the impetus to add to his 45 goals in the Premier League.

That’s a tally topped by only Michael Owen (129) and Mark Viduka (90) as far as his Newcastle colleagues are concerned.

Before today’s game, Smith told me: “I am more critical than anyone – I don’t need anyone to tell me I need to score goals.

“I’m the most critical person. Whatever anybody else says I take with a pinch of salt and get on with it.

“The gaffer says to me ‘you do too much’, and against Blackburn I was trying to help and win every challenge and every ball, instead of getting in the box and scoring.

“But the chances fell to the right people. I had a couple, and Michael Owen had three or four.

“Had those gone in, we would have walked away having won 3-0 with everyone singing and dancing.

“I am so grateful to be playing football for a club like this, especially after my injury. If someone said go and play in goal, I would.

“I know what I give to the team. All the lads see that and I think the fans see it as well.

“It has been difficult for me, as I didn’t play for 18 months because of my leg.

“The season before I was playing as a defensive midfielder, and when Sam was here I was playing as a central midfield player and in other areas.

“But I’m sure the goals will come.”

Just shut the f*** up and leave, you c***..

I don't think he's a "cunt". Just a crap footballer.

Gives his all, tries his best etc, but his best simply isn't anywhere near good enough. For me it's not that he doesn't score goals, it's that he doesn't even look like scoring a goal. He never has a shot, never gets in the box, and never sets anyone else up for a shot either.

I don't think he's a "cunt". Just a crap footballer.

Gives his all, tries his best etc, but his best simply isn't anywhere near good enough. For me it's not that he doesn't score goals, it's that he doesn't even look like scoring a goal. He never has a shot, never gets in the box, and never sets anyone else up for a shot either.

Aye.

The people slating Smith to such an extent are fucking embarrassing, although I do appreciate that emotions are running high at the moment.

He's been very poor, yes, but by all accounts he's an honest lad and he always seems to give 100%. There are people at this club who have been very poor for more than three quarters of a season, and who most certainly haven't given 100% to this football club in their time.

There are quite a few in the current squad who I'd reserve that sort of bile for ahead of Smith, to be honest, but he's become an easy scapegoat.

That was me being on the KIND side of he fence.

I know you've seen him play, and i know you're not f****** daft. You know i'm right, on this occasion.

I know you're right, I was taking the piss.  :lol: You might hate him more than Wullie does.

I don't hate him either. I just think he's a country mile short of being a Premiership or even a Championship footballer and I resent the fact that he plays for NUFC. I don't believe he gives 100% either but that's another matter.

Duff on the other hand...

I don't think he's a "c***". Just a crap footballer.

Aye.

The people slating Smith to such an extent are f****** embarrassing, although I do appreciate that emotions are running high at the moment.

He's been very poor, yes, but by all accounts he's an honest lad and he always seems to give 100%. There are people at this club who have been very poor for more than three quarters of a season, and who most certainly haven't given 100% to this football club in their time.

There are quite a few in the current squad who I'd reserve that sort of bile for ahead of Smith, to be honest, but he's become an easy scapegoat.

Allright, cunt may have been a bit of an overstatement. What I don't like about his present situation is that he doesn't put his hands up and say he's not been good enough. In that interview that prompted my agressive reply he says he would play in goal for us, and everybody sees what he contributes to the team (supposedly good things).. In the same interview he also says he is most critical on himself and takes things that other people say with a pinch of salt. Doesn't sound to me like he's overly critical of himself and I can think of 52000 people who are more critical of him.. It's this attitude that the managers seem to appreciate in him and for which he gets rewarded with an automatic first team slot. Well, it's clearly detrimental to the club he claims to love so much (oh, come on, I mean, can somebody pass me a bucket), and for me if we go down it will be in large parts due to mr Alan Smith and the bewildering bewitchment he seems to have over our managers.. He may be the nicest man alive in private, but I can't feel much sympathy for somebody who claims to have our best interest at heart yet somehow does the exact opposite whenever he pulls on our shirt.

Guest neesy111

Aye.

The people slating Smith to such an extent are f****** embarrassing, although I do appreciate that emotions are running high at the moment.

100% that what u base on picking a player

then u could pick from 52,000 playing every week cos that is what every one would give, his football talent is none should be a hairdresser IMO

Aye.

then u could pick from 52,000 playing every week cos that is what every one would give, his football talent is none should be a hairdresser IMO

Did I say that? Did you miss the bit where I said he's been very poor?

Silly post.

Aye.

Did you even read the previous post properly before posting that?

Aye.

I don't actually understand that bit. I've read it about 5 times now and it still doesn't make any sense.

Aye.

I don't actually understand that bit. I've read it about 5 times now and it still doesn't make any sense.

Reshuffle the words and add some punctuation until you get something meaningful, well sort of: "100%, that what u base picking a player on?"

Smith might be shit be he's not the one writing his name on the team sheet every week.  Surely that's where questions need to be asked and anger directed.

Guest Phil K

He's been very poor, yes,

Oh really ? One game he didn't play - against Stoke - we won comfortably.

Surely even you can add 2 and 2 together and not come up with 17 and three quarters ?

...but by all accounts he's an honest lad and he always seems to give 100%.

I have a mate who is as honest as the day is long, will give his all and run through brick walls for whoever he plays for  - but he's an absolute disaster as a footballer.

As is Smith.

He's an utter Jonah.

He's been very poor, yes,

Oh really ? One game he didn't play - against Stoke - we won comfortably.

Surely even you can add 2 and 2 together and not come up with 17 and three quarters ?

...but by all accounts he's an honest lad and he always seems to give 100%.

I have a mate who is as honest as the day is long, will give his all and run through brick walls for whoever he plays for  - but he's an absolute disaster as a footballer.

As is Smith.

He's an utter Jonah.

You've missed the point again Phil/made up your own agenda. :idiot2:

Guest Phil K

You've missed the point again Phil/made up your own agenda. :idiot2:

The only point I've missed is attached to your shoulders.

He's been awful this season but I didn't expect any better from him, he was just a poor signing from the day he put pen to paper and lacked any of the qualities we should have been looking for in a player back in the Summer.

Fat Sam is to blame for that of course but it doesn't mean people shouldn't feel resentment seeing a player of his ability level getting picked every week.

Guest birdhunter

Smith isn't the blame for playing each week. Which player would say "hey coach I'm shit pick someone else"?.. KK should realize that the pressure on the guy is increasing each week. He should give him a rest or use him as a substitue. This will help the team and Smith... just amazing to see that managers don't realize this.

As for Smith's current performance: terribly poor.

I wonder if Smith is getting picked because he runs around a lot? He is definitely shit no doubt, but in a relegation battle you need all your players to run non-stop. I don't think many of our team do.

I'm positive Smith wont be picked for the next game.

The only chance of that happening is if KK drops Owen to play Smith and Oba up front because their is no chance of SMith playing in midfield after Saturday.