Alan Smith

tmonkey

Guest Howaythetoon

At the Peter Beardsley talk-in a few months back, Smith and Shola got a lot of stick from Beardsley and Beresford, stick I thought at times was below the belt considering their ties to Newcastle (quite a few current players were the subject of ridicule). Anyway Beardsley said neither would be at the club come the big kick-off as KK rated neither and that if he had his own way, he'd start all over again on the vast majority of the squad. As a result I'm in no doubt Smith will leave and so will Shola, the latter dragging his heels over leaving which to be fair, is down to not wanting to move from the region and his family rather than money or anything else. That and he genuinly wants to play for the club still. He'll get peddled eventually though as will most if what Beardsley and Beresford said that night is anything to go by.

At the Peter Beardsley talk-in a few months back, Smith and Shola got a lot of stick from Beardsley and Beresford, stick I thought at times was below the belt considering their ties to Newcastle (quite a few current players were the subject of ridicule). Anyway Beardsley said neither would be at the club come the big kick-off as KK rated neither and that if he had his own way, he'd start all over again on the vast majority of the squad. As a result I'm in no doubt Smith will leave and so will Shola, the latter dragging his heels over leaving which to be fair, is down to not wanting to move from the region and his family rather than money or anything else. That and he genuinly wants to play for the club still. He'll get peddled eventually though as will most if what Beardsley and Beresford said that night is anything to go by.

what was said about Smith exactly?

I'll say one thing about Beardsley, my favourite ever nufc player but at these talk-ins the concensus is that he comes across pretty classless at times

I've no doubt both the club and KK would like to peddle Shola andSmith, but neither are going to move for the club's sake. Shola will see out his contract and Smith will want 60k a week to go anywhere. We need another club to enter "the race" for Smith to force Everton's hand.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'll say one thing about Beardsley, my favourite ever nufc player but at these talk-ins the concensus is that he comes across pretty classless at times

I was quite shocked myself at the vitriol aimed at some of our players but to be fair to Beardsley (using his seemingly favourite phrase :D) he was only being honest and when you're paying £35 quid a head to listen to someone, you want them to be honest. Furthermore this is a man who graced our shirt and who loves the club, a fan who is obviously unhappy like a lot of us when he sees players wearing the shirt who are not worthy of it.

I personally thought some of the things he said was uncalled for though because of his close ties to the club. Some of the comments would have went back to the players without doubt.

Regarding Smith, he basically said he was shite and didn't deserve his wages nor his place in the squad. He said Big Sam shouldn't have signed him (that we were conned) and that KK will look to get him out along with others due to their lack of ability which is essential for KK. He was the but of much ridicule, quite uncalled for at times in my opinion.

I say that as someone who prefers those connected to the club to put on a United front.

Was a piss funny night though. :D

I was quite shocked myself at the vitriol aimed at some of our players but to be fair to Beardsley (using his seemingly favourite phrase :D) he was only being honest and when you're paying £35 quid a head to listen to someone, you want them to be honest. Furthermore this is a man who graced our shirt and who loves the club, a fan who is obviously unhappy like a lot of us when he sees players wearing the shirt who are not worthy of it.

I personally thought some of the things he said was uncalled for though because of his close ties to the club. Some of the comments would have went back to the players without doubt.

Regarding Smith, he basically said he was s**** and didn't deserve his wages nor his place in the squad. He said Big Sam shouldn't have signed him (that we were conned) and that KK will look to get him out along with others due to their lack of ability which is essential for KK. He was the but of much ridicule, quite uncalled for at times in my opinion.

I say that as someone who prefers those connected to the club to put on a United front.

cheers mate  :thup:

I was quite shocked myself at the vitriol aimed at some of our players but to be fair to Beardsley (using his seemingly favourite phrase :D)

Saw him at a talk-in about a year ago now, and yup, I can confirm that!

Guest Howaythetoon

Ronaldo, he doesn't come across as classless, just down to earth, honestly if it wasn't Peter Beardsley he'd be just another Geordie bloke talking about football. In a way that's the charm of Beardsley and why he's so well liked and despite coming across as a sober Gazza (broad Geordie, doesn't mince his words and talks a bit of slang) he said some really intelligent and insighhtful things, especially regarding coaching and development of youngsters and players (was an evening for coaches and local junior clubs). Top man. He's quite cynical mind and f***ing hates Souness and Dalglish, although respects Dalglish as a footballer and manager. Idolises KK. Him and Beresford.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was quite shocked myself at the vitriol aimed at some of our players but to be fair to Beardsley (using his seemingly favourite phrase :D)

Saw him at a talk-in about a year ago now, and yup, I can confirm that!

"to be fair to Dalglish, he was a great player and a great manager, fucking Souness though...." :lol:

Followed by lots of cheers.

He said something funny about Shola that I can't remember but everyone was in stitches, eye wateringly funny. Beardsley's quite a witty bastard like and I reckon he was a little rascal in the dressing room. We could do with another like him, one off though. The antics they used to get up to man :lol:, change the fucking recrod

Regarding Smith, he basically said he was shite and didn't deserve his wages nor his place in the squad. He said Big Sam shouldn't have signed him (that we were conned) and that KK will look to get him out along with others due to their lack of ability which is essential for KK. He was the but of much ridicule, quite uncalled for at times in my opinion.

This just makes me respect Keegan even more. Despite always being loyal to a fault, he knows when it's time to give up on a lost cause.

Guest Howaythetoon

It was most intrigued by his comments on modern day greats, including Gerrard who he basically said was a top player in his own right but wouldn't have gotten into the old LFC side due to "average technique". He was quite critical of modern stars and how many of them compensate their average technique with athleticism and speed.

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding Smith, he basically said he was s**** and didn't deserve his wages nor his place in the squad. He said Big Sam shouldn't have signed him (that we were conned) and that KK will look to get him out along with others due to their lack of ability which is essential for KK. He was the but of much ridicule, quite uncalled for at times in my opinion.

This just makes me respect Keegan even more. Despite always being loyal to a fault, he knows when it's time to give up on a lost cause.

Beardsley touched on that and so did Beresford, basically not to be fooled by KK's nice guy image and "softness", Beresford said for a month he thought KK was a complete cunt for not talking to him and dropping him. Before saying that he warned the crowd, he got a few boos for it :D

The overriding theme from both was that when KK is a cunt, he's an honest cunt and players can deal with that and respect it, they hate nothing more than being fobbed off hence Beardsley's dislike of Souness and Dalglish, because they would lie through their teeth to save their own face, where as KK isn't like that.

KK's loyalty lies with himself first, he won't lie with himself, i.e. kid himself that because Smith is a nice lad that he should be given a chance. KK sees it like this: Will he get in my XI, can he force himself into the reckoning? If not he'd rather get rid and bring in youth or an unknown to take up that place.

People forget KK likes a small squad, he likes to keep his starting lineup the same every week if he can and to do that to a big squad would piss off many an established player and make his job harder, i.e. more bodies to keep happy, fobb off etc. That's why throughout his career he's snapped up unknowns and youngsters. For Guthrie read Guppy. Somone who has a bit of talent who could make the team with a bit of work, but conversley, someone who would be happy to play the squad game, to work hard to improve, someone hungry.

This is why I have no issues with any of our signings, indeed if KK sees something in Guthrie I can't help but get excited and already I'm liking what I see. He's no world beater but he looks to have something about him. Hopefully that something will grow with the team and that is the kind of player I want to see, a player who progresses with the team ala Lee or Cole, which we've lacked for years having bought established players or players with big reps.

Keeping Barton?

Beardsley touched on that and so did Beresford, basically not to be fooled by KK's nice guy image and "softness", Beresford said for a month he thought KK was a complete cunt for not talking to him and dropping him. Before saying that he warned the crowd, he got a few boos for it :D

The overriding theme from both was that when KK is a cunt, he's an honest cunt and players can deal with that and respect it, they hate nothing more than being fobbed off hence Beardsley's dislike of Souness and Dalglish, because they would lie through their teeth to save their own face, where as KK isn't like that.

KK's loyalty lies with himself first, he won't lie with himself, i.e. kid himself that because Smith is a nice lad that he should be given a chance. KK sees it like this: Will he get in my XI, can he force himself into the reckoning? If not he'd rather get rid and bring in youth or an unknown to take up that place.

People forget KK likes a small squad, he likes to keep his starting lineup the same every week if he can and to do that to a big squad would piss off many an established player and make his job harder, i.e. more bodies to keep happy, fobb off etc. That's why throughout his career he's snapped up unknowns and youngsters. For Guthrie read Guppy. Somone who has a bit of talent who could make the team with a bit of work, but conversley, someone who would be happy to play the squad game, to work hard to improve, someone hungry.

This is why I have no issues with any of our signings, indeed if KK sees something in Guthrie I can't help but get excited and already I'm liking what I see. He's no world beater but he looks to have something about him. Hopefully that something will grow with the team and that is the kind of player I want to see, a player who progresses with the team ala Lee or Cole, which we've lacked for years having bought established players or players with big reps.

Good post Coach. Your insight has been missed.

Keeping Barton?

How do you get rid of Barton?

the beardsley talk in i went to was class, it was about 5 years ago now.

he claimed owen was technically shite, and hid in england trainig sessions when he had to do anything technical in training.

he also branded gerrard a 'coward'

Keeping Barton?

Yeah, and sticking with Bez when Elliot was class. Even the greats have their favourites (Dyer-SBR).

Barton was a grafter though and most great teams have at least one in every starting XI.

Keeping Barton?

Yeah, and sticking with Bez when Elliot was class. Even the greats have their favourites (Dyer-SBR).

Barton was a grafter though and most great teams have at least one in every starting XI.

KK dropped Bez for Elliott if I recall. I don't think Elliott was ever class except in our own minds.

Guest Heneage

Tbh anyone who lambasts Pedro's style should lambast everyone of us on here, we've all said the same if not worst about Mr Smith and Ameobi, but rightly so in my opinion.

I file the same arguement with Smith and Shola as I did with Jonny Godsmark the other night. Here is pre-season, you are by no means a starter (Smith, Shola, Godsmark) You get whatever it is 20-45-90 minutes on the pitch, go prove yourself, go show what you can do. In the case of all three go at the game like it were your last. All three however did the opposite, Godsmark would pass backwards one on one with a defender, Smith would amble around and then make a stupid lunge, Shola would just randomly challenge in the air, and amble around, it was by far 2 of the laziest performances i've ever seen, someone at work the other night said "Sholas always been lazy, he was for the u19-s he is for the reserves he is for the first team.

Where as Godsmarks concerned its Alan O'brien syndrome. Aroudn the time we were at our lowest the 5-1 Birmingham, O'brien and Pattison had  a run in the team due to injuries and what not. Stewarding in the gallowgate I saw a fair whack of O'Brien, and for a player that i'd heard was "The fastest player at the club" he was afraid to try and beat Bruno N'Gotty. I dunno what it is, but its like they seem petrified to try things yes on occassion youth products become over-rated thats all too true, The Marc Waltons, Chopras, Robinsons but it seems that more so with the established players are content in mediocrity and its spreading to the youth happy to be "On the books of Newcastle". At least Troisi tried when he had a game that i'll give him credit for.

I mean for all they lambast Shearer as "Having no ambition as he rejected United." At least he had the ambition to think "I want to be the best goalscorer this league and club has ever had I want to smash records." You dont see that in our current crop bar maybe Taylor, a fire a passion. Everyone said Smith would be non stop action for 90 minutes "Wouldnt need one of Sams heart monitors" Yes for the first few games he was captain run about Paula Radcliffe could probably run more than Smith in 90 minutes doesnt mean I want her starting striker.

Tbh anyone who lambasts Pedro's style should lambast everyone of us on here, we've all said the same if not worst about Mr Smith and Ameobi, but rightly so in my opinion.

I file the same arguement with Smith and Shola as I did with Jonny Godsmark the other night. Here is pre-season, you are by no means a starter (Smith, Shola, Godsmark) You get whatever it is 20-45-90 minutes on the pitch, go prove yourself, go show what you can do. In the case of all three go at the game like it were your last. All three however did the opposite, Godsmark would pass backwards one on one with a defender, Smith would amble around and then make a stupid lunge, Shola would just randomly challenge in the air, and amble around, it was by far 2 of the laziest performances i've ever seen, someone at work the other night said "Sholas always been lazy, he was for the u19-s he is for the reserves he is for the first team.

Where as Godsmarks concerned its Alan O'brien syndrome. Aroudn the time we were at our lowest the 5-1 Birmingham, O'brien and Pattison had  a run in the team due to injuries and what not. Stewarding in the gallowgate I saw a fair whack of O'Brien, and for a player that i'd heard was "The fastest player at the club" he was afraid to try and beat Bruno N'Gotty. I dunno what it is, but its like they seem petrified to try things yes on occassion youth products become over-rated thats all too true, The Marc Waltons, Chopras, Robinsons but it seems that more so with the established players are content in mediocrity and its spreading to the youth happy to be "On the books of Newcastle". At least Troisi tried when he had a game that i'll give him credit for.

I mean for all they lambast Shearer as "Having no ambition as he rejected United." At least he had the ambition to think "I want to be the best goalscorer this league and club has ever had I want to smash records." You dont see that in our current crop bar maybe Taylor, a fire a passion. Everyone said Smith would be non stop action for 90 minutes "Wouldnt need one of Sams heart monitors" Yes for the first few games he was captain run about Paula Radcliffe could probably run more than Smith in 90 minutes doesnt mean I want her starting striker.

Good post.

Alan Smith is a grafter. He has been pushed around the pitch and never complained. Also, not good enough. Similar to lots of players we have really. Personally, I'd take 5 games out of 20 from Dyer and Bellamy to the grafters so many cried out for. Can't abide Bellamy tbh but he was a decent player (see below for better than decent players).

On another note, neither Waddle not Gascoigne played for a move from us, Beardsley did. Which one got no shit? In the main, we're as fickle as the rest of the fans around the country. We need better than Smith, Milner, Taylor etc. If we accept this nonsense about 'graft' rather than talent then we are fucked. Robert or Milner?