Wigan (a) - Pre-Match Thread

Optimistic Nut

Given

Beye        Taylor        Faye       N'Zogbia

Smith

Geremi

Emre

Milner          Viduka               Duff 

If that is the team i would be happy. It has a nice blend of passers and attacking threat.

Why would Sam play Milner on the right when he just said he wasn't a right winger? Why would he drop Butt for Smith and Geremi? Why would he drop Cacapa when he rates him so highly?

All good questions. Someone else posted the supposed starting line up. So you answer your questions.

Given

Beye        Taylor        Faye      N'Zogbia

Smith

Geremi

Emre

Milner          Viduka              Duff 

If that is the team i would be happy. It has a nice blend of passers and attacking threat.

Why would Sam play Milner on the right when he just said he wasn't a right winger? Why would he drop Butt for Smith and Geremi? Why would he drop Cacapa when he rates him so highly?

All good questions. Someone else posted the supposed starting line up. So you answer your questions.

I know, i wasn't asking yourself just in general towards that lineup.

Milner's versatile is the answer to your first question. The second and third question can be answered by the fact that we're playing 3 games in 6 days. Because of how much we're playing, it's logical for BS to rotate his players around and give certain players a rest. I bet you'll see a totally different team when we play Chelsea 3 days from now because we'll have another game 3 days after that.

Smith in DM instead of Butt? wtf?

He used Alan Smith in this role vs Sunderland away.

You could argue it was a effective shield in front of the back four against Kenwyne Jones arial threat for long periods in that match maybe Sam's thoughts are it will be successful against Heskey too.

Just another Sam Allarydyce "contain them first tactic" against a bottom 5 club.

He was right.

Newcastle:

Given,

Beye,  Taylor,  Faye,  N'Zogbia

Geremi, Smith, Emre

Duff, Viduka, Milner

Subs: Steve Harper, Claudio Cacapa, Jose Enrique, Nicky Butt, Oba Martins

Vs

Wigan:

Kirkland,

Melchiot, Scharner, Bramble, Kilbane,

Taylor, Landzaat, Brown, Valencia,

Bent  Sibierski

Subs: Mike Pollitt, Emmerson Boyce, Salomon Olembe, Josip Skoko, Julius Aghahowa

I like the change...

Was gonna say i'd have Butt in for Smith, cos Smith isn't a midfielder, but Butt's hopeless away from home. It'll obviously be Milner left/Duff right, if it is 4-3-3 (which i pray to God it is with that team).

what are the odds of bramble not handing us a goal today? 100% procent i guess...  :kasper: he's done it enough playing for us, the least he could do was hand us a couple back!  :razz:

Pretty happy with that to be honest, should be interesting to see Faye and Taylor, the only premiership experienced defenders we have. Might be a decent partnership.

Very happy with the midfield to be honest, Emre will be given more of a free license in that midfield with Geremi and Smith providing cover.

Not exactly happy with Zog at lb, Valencia is a decent player.