Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

I thought Taylor did ok like. Especially first half where he was excellent. Someone like Faye alongside him should allow us to see if he has what it takes because it takes some of the pressure off him of him having to be the one who attacks the aerial balls all the time since Faye will do more than his fair share of that. Faye looks steady and reads the game well too so Taylor could learn from him too. Still not convinced about the lad but, as I say, it'll probably be the first time he's played much with a 'proper' centre-half. Beye-Faye-Taylor-Enrique has the makings of a canny back 4 imo.

SA should have tried to stick to this from the off. Beye and Faye for me have made the cut and I think Enrique could have done with more games and imo will get there as well.

Taylor is like Bramble in that he can have an excellent game but you know a fuck up is never far away.

That's what I'm incline to think too but he's never really played in a settled defence at the same time.

Great shotstopper, but awful distribution, average positioning, average decision making = an OK keeper, nothing more, nothing less.

2nd only to Schmiecal in Premiership history I reckon. Is rated very, very highly by opposition fans, though sadly not by his own.

He really isn't

The most important thing as a goalkeeper is shot stopping and Given is the best in the league at it.  Yeah, his kicking ain't the best, but I don't think it is that important.  Also, the whole thing about how he "doesn't command his area" is bollocks, tbh.

He's had 1 or 2 dodgy games but it would be madness to drop him, let alone sell him.  Who do people think we'll get to replace him, Buffon?

Guest michaelfoster

Tbf to Given when the wall jumps at the fk he is obviously going to see the ball late, he did well to get his hand to it but as someone said it bobble in front of him. The other goal where he got the pass back, Cacapa or Enrique should of cleared it, giving it back to Given on his weaker left foot wont help, his kicking is poor anyway so what were you expecting on his left.

Given hasnt been the same since Marlon Harewoods tackle, he seems to be frightened to challenge for the ball.

Re Enrique he did ok against Man Utd but he tries to watch the ball go out too often and gets muscled off the ball

Great shotstopper, but awful distribution, average positioning, average decision making = an OK keeper, nothing more, nothing less.

2nd only to Schmiecal in Premiership history I reckon. Is rated very, very highly by opposition fans, though sadly not by his own.

He really isn't

He really is.  :coolsmiley:

Guest walkerboy

IMO Givens goalkeeping over past four/five seasons has been one of the reasons we havent been relegated so think its a bit harsh on him.most other clubs would snap him up givin the chance(no pun intended)

• 2 weeks later...

He really isn't

Erm, yes he is.

Guest Deep456

He really isn't

He really is.

Given wasn't at fault for any of the goals yesterday i don't think, but i'd have Harper in the team now simply due to the fact that Shay gives the ball away more than any other player in the side. His kicking is woeful. Harper's performed well whenever he's been in the side this season.

which of the goals should Given have stopped yesterday,

Adebayor's super-close range header?

Flamini's goal of the season?

or the one that was offside?

weve had a lot of goals of the season scored agianst us. its wierd because you cant really blame given for them, but despite having a better defecne we are conceding more goals than last sesaon. look at elanos goal and this one- no chance of being saved, same with gerrards and pamarots. its because we give class players them the ball unmarked just buy the area and the likes of smith give away stupid free kicks just outside the box.

Why do people always blame the keeper when in truth it was just good play from Arsenal. Give their strikers some credit FFS

And bad play from our midfield, they're hopeless at marking the opposition around the box.

Why do people always blame the keeper when in truth it was just good play from Arsenal. Give their strikers some credit FFS

The strikers get loads of credit. Goal of the month, goals on  Sunday, goal of the season, golden boot winner, top goalscorer. For me goalkeepers get let off far to easily. Off the top my head I can only think of Craig Gordon as the only keeper to be dropped this season  for poor form in the Premierleague, atm I cant think of anyone else.

And bad play from our midfield, they're hopeless at marking the opposition around the box.

Go a little further man blame the forwards for not tracking back or closing down the pass in the opposition half.

kind of tired of people whining on sick long shots. even chech wouldnt have taken the flamini goal.

think we have to focus on the pressure on the ball from 25 meters and in. if we keep conceding such goals, then we have to learn from it and do something to prevent it.

The strikers get loads of credit. Goal of the month, goals on  Sunday, goal of the season, golden boot winner, top goalscorer. For me goalkeepers get let off far to easily. Off the top my head I can only think of Craig Gordon as the only keeper to be dropped this season  for poor form in the Premierleague, atm I cant think of anyone else.

Lehman, Robinson