Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

He has been good, best shot stopper I have ever seen at the Toon but never great, that accolade would only go to someone good at all aspects of keeping. It often appears to be like a mini Shearer situation. He thinks he is too good to be dropped and will hold onto his position til HE decides its time to go. Big difference of course is that he probably had little to do with any managers/players leaving but its similar, too much "power".

What annoyed me about the last game was when he decided to come off. If he had injured himself with the first goal, then with an adequate replacement on the bench, why didn't he come off then? It seemed that he came off when he thought the game was up and that we were heading for a hammering. Rather selfish really when the team should be first priority.

We looked solid earlier in the season when Harper was in goal and I could not understand why Sam changed it with Given. Since then we have never looked solid and maybe with confidence low, its too late to get back to those slightly promising days when we weren't leaking goals so alarmingly.

Might be wrong, but wasn't our best spell when we had Harper in goal, Enrique left-back, and Faye & Cacapa centre-backs?

It certainly was.

Shay's form this season doesn't merit the "Shearer like" automatic choice status he seems to enjoy, especially with an arguably better keeper on the bench.

Im f****** sick sell him and keep this topic and we will dig it up at the end of the season when you are all wishing he was still here.  Reminds me of Parker in some ways......obv Given is 10000x the player he is.

He has been good, best shot stopper I have ever seen at the Toon but never great, that accolade would only go to someone good at all aspects of keeping. It often appears to be like a mini Shearer situation. He thinks he is too good to be dropped and will hold onto his position til HE decides its time to go. Big difference of course is that he probably had little to do with any managers/players leaving but its similar, too much "power".

What annoyed me about the last game was when he decided to come off. If he had injured himself with the first goal, then with an adequate replacement on the bench, why didn't he come off then? It seemed that he came off when he thought the game was up and that we were heading for a hammering. Rather selfish really when the team should be first priority.

We looked solid earlier in the season when Harper was in goal and I could not understand why Sam changed it with Given. Since then we have never looked solid and maybe with confidence low, its too late to get back to those slightly promising days when we weren't leaking goals so alarmingly.

It was Keegan that said he injured himself with the first goal, Given said it was later when he took a goal kick.

Not much Keegan can do if one of his players says he is fit tbf

He could have said "I'll give you an extra week to rest."

"But boss I'm fit, I don't need any rest"

The blame can only rest on Given's shoulders IMO

Not much Keegan can do if one of his players says he is fit tbf

He could have said "I'll give you an extra week to rest."

"But boss I'm fit, I don't need any rest"

The blame can only rest on Given's shoulders IMO

And the medical staff.

Gievn's kicking is gash but its never been his strong point tbf. How come Harper concedes 3 goals and gets no flack :D

Harper actually made at least a couple of good saves, something I can't remember Given doing.

Gievn's kicking is gash but its never been his strong point tbf. How come Harper concedes 3 goals and gets no flack :D

Probably because there was nothing he could have done about any of those 3 goals.

The only goal yesterday where the keeper could have done better was the first, most keepers would have cut out Ronald's cross, Given once again, seemed rooted and just watched it sail by.

Probably because there was nothing he could have done about any of those 3 goals.

The only goal yesterday where the keeper could have done better was the first, most keepers would have cut out Ronald's cross, Given once again, seemed rooted and just watched it sail by.

I actually thought that Rooney's second was savable. Was at a good height for the keeper, didn't have to stretch up or get down to it. Put it this way David James would have saved it.

I'm putting it down to Harper not playing enough football therefore his reactions aren't quite where they should (could?) be. Never understood why he doesn't play for the reserves every now and then just to keep him sharp.

• 1 month later...

he`s out for the season....not particularly bothered tbh.

--

Shay return is put on ice by Keegan

Apr 15 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SHAY GIVEN is unlikely to play for Newcastle United again until next season.

This has been revealed by United boss Kevin Keegan who says he sees “no sense” in giving his Republic of Ireland keeper a run-out before the end of the season to prove he is over his long-standing groin problems.

The Chronicle revealed on February 26 that that the 31-year-old keeper would need an operation that was likely to keep him sidelined for the rest of the season, and this has turned out to be the case.

Given could be excused for wanting at least one game under his belt before the end of the season to prove to himself he has made a complete recovery.

But Keegan and his medical staff have taken the opposite view and they feel that it would be best for Given to start again next season.

Obviously, should anything happen to Steve Harper then Keegan would have another look at his goalkeeping situation, although he clearly has confidence in young Fraser Forster, having given him a new contract only last week.

When I asked Keegan if Given would play in any of United’s remaining four games the United boss told me today: “I doubt it.

“I think he’ll be fit by the end of the season, and he’ll train with us for maybe the last week or 10 days, but there’s no sense for him to play a match.

“He just needs to know by the end of the season that he’s fit, ready to go away and come back fit for pre-season with all his problems behind him. I think that, for him, will be a massive relief.”

Given will be especially disappointed not to be involved in United’s next two matches – Sunday’s derby and the visit to West Ham a week on Saturday.

The keeper had a loan spell with Sunderland in his days at Blackburn and Upton Park is where all his groin problems began in 2006 after a clash with Marlon Harewood left him with a perforated bowel.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/15/shay-return-is-put-on-ice-by-keegan-72703-20766188/

I thought we all knew he wasn't playing again this season?

Anyway, lets hope its a return to form and fitness next for him as this year has been a total disaster as Harper has been far the better keeper.

Happy for him, gutted for Shay, lets hope both are focused for a keeper fight next season, if not we really need to look at offloading Shay, horrible thought but there is no point having him like this when in reality we should just about to see the best of him. Maybe this is the bad spell before the peak, lets hope so.

I hate people slating shay after a difficult season, bloody shocking.

However, Harper has proved he's worthy of our number one slot. Him to start next season.

I`d start Harper too. I`m sure Given will moan again like he did in the past iirc if he`s not in the starting XI so I wouldn`t mind selling him.

Confidence has never been a problem, the lad's got more edge than a broken piss-pot. He definitely deserves to hold onto the no. 1 jersey for the time being however.