Wigan Athletic 1-0 Newcastle United - 26/12/07 - reaction from page 16

PM

I don't think SA is necessarily a bad manager, but he needs to adjust his mentality fast or he's going to lose newcastle united's supporters, board, and job! Simple as.

At the start of this season i posted along the lines of SA's mentality is not right for newcastle: he doesn't want to dominate games and dominate the football. i also asked if he brought any tactical positives to the job, as in my eyes he was little more than a footballing clive woodward, employing fancy dan science techniques and countless other coaches to do the job for him, whilst sitting in an overseeing role. for me, he's not showed the slightest bit of tactical nous, and absolutely no desire to play football (whether good or bad). He simply wants the team to participate

Disappointed like but change isn't going to happen overnight. We're not going down and not getting into Europe so I can't see the need for change just yet. We're mid-table and we'll stay about there til May which, considering the absolute shambles he inherited, is slight progress.

I'm not defending the style of football we're playing or some of the results we've had but some people are going WAAAAAAY overboard. He needs time - give him it. He needs players - give him a bit of money. He needs patience - give him it.  :thup:

Guest Knightrider

I don't think SA is necessarily a bad manager, but he needs to adjust his mentality fast or he's going to lose newcastle united's supporters, board, and job! Simple as.

He and NUFC fans too.

Disappointed like but change isn't going to happen overnight. We're not going down and not getting into Europe so I can't see the need for change just yet. We're mid-table and we'll stay about there til May which, considering the absolute shambles he inherited, is slight progress.

I'm not defending the style of football we're playing or some of the results we've had but some people are going WAAAAAAY overboard. He needs time - give him it. He needs players - give him a bit of money. He needs patience - give him it.  :thup:

Yup, he's fucking up royally a fair few things, but there's stability here. We were never getting anything out of this season. Like you said, he needs time, patience and a bit of cash. Yes he's already had some money, but anyone would have been in dire need of it - given the absolute hogwash that was in the squad last season.

He's had time man he's had money and yet he can't get them to string 2 passes together! How do you think a few more months will change it?

He's not up to the job, simple!

he's got "quality" players at his disposal 2 players for every position... 5 forwards ... hows giving him more money for more players going to help when he cant even get the players to play football ...

like radio newcastle said, the players are losing their ability to play football.... that is down to coaching and tactics... no amount of cash or patience will change that

He's had time man he's had money and yet he can't get them to string 2 passes together! How do you think a few more months will change it?

He's had about 8 months, 1 transfer window and about £10m net I think to spend. Still a bit too early to get shot, no?

We've got 26 points on the board and need to win another 4 or so to avoid relegation. I reckon we'll do that personally. Not really impressed with what I'm seeing but he needs to be given a chance and needs a bit of backing with a bit of cash. We'll be fine this season but if we're still in this exact position next New Year I'll be annoyed.

I can understand the frustration though..  :thup:

Guest smarty2006

Totally agree with you there. How can he justify our style of play?

He's had about 8 months, 1 transfer window and about £10m net I think to spend. Still a bit too early to get shot, no?

We've got 26 points on the board and need to win another 4 or so to avoid relegation. I reckon we'll do that personally. Not really impressed with what I'm seeing but he needs to be given a chance and needs a bit of backing with a bit of cash. We'll be fine this season but if we're still in this exact position next New Year I'll be annoyed.

Ok do you think 8 months is long enough to actually get a side playing proper football instead of this garbage that's being served up?

I mean the simple basics of football?  Because I see no evidence at all.

We may have 26 points but that will not be changing much over the next month i can assure you.

how can anyone justify such negative football ... we have creative talent in our squad which is being told to stop being creative because he's scared of conceding goals... this is obviously rubbing off on the players

how can anyone justify such negative football ... we have creative talent in our squad which is being told to stop being creative because he's scared of conceding goals... this is obviously rubbing off on the players

"Creative talent"? Where?

we have it's just not very evident at the minute ..because it's being stiffled by negative football

We really needed victory either today, or against Derby. When you look at the next three, we realistically arent going to pick up three points again until next month, when Bolton come to SJP on the 19th.

Funny how how best defensive records came under how most attack minded manager isn't it?

best form of defence is attack... keeping the ball as far away from our net as possible, but just not in the carpark where geremi seems to hoof it

Ok do you think 8 months is long enough to actually get a side playing proper football instead of this garbage that's being served up?

We may have 26 points but that will not be changing much over the next month i can assure you.

No. That's sort of my point.  :thup:

I'm not happy with some of what we're playing but I told myself it would take a while to adapt to the type of stuff Allardyce wanted to play and it's true. We're never going to match Arsenal but if we'd have played exactly the same and won 1-0 then no fucker would be saying a word. Results are all that's important. Unfortunately, we're playing poorly and losing rather than playing poorly and winning. Give him your patience and a bit more money and I'm confident he'll start getting results. 

I genuinely believe that our style of play isnt the major pisser at the moment.

He would have many more fans on his side if he just played a consistent team full of players in their natural positions. If he did that the style of play would improve anyway because you would have players feeling more relaxed and playing their own natural game. I think we have got a squad of good players who are capable of good things.

Why he does what he does, only Sam himself knows, but if he started with that philosophy, most fans would be on his side and the rest would fall into place.

Smith back in defensive role again. For fucks sake. Whats the justification for that after 2 or 3 of his most positive performances of the season ?

I'm not happy with some of what we're playing but I told myself it would take a while to adapt to the type of stuff Allardyce wanted to play and it's true. We're never going to match Arsenal but if we'd have played exactly the same and won 1-0 then no fucker would be saying a word. Results are all that's important. Unfortunately, we're playing poorly and losing rather than playing poorly and winning. Give him your patience and a bit more money and I'm confident he'll start getting results. 

Yeah sure it takes time to adapt to a style of play but it's the simple aspects of football which aren't there irrespective to whatever style you play!

That is down to the manager and coaching staff to make sure you have a good base in which a style of play can be applied too.  It just isn't there at all and he needs to either get the chop sooner rather than later or get some better coaches in!

Pearson is still the 1st team coach and the other fools around him are still from the old regime, so there is no suprise we haven't improved from when Souness and Roeder were here

Guest smarty2006

I was in the give Sam more time camp, but surely he is having laugh? we cant even do the basics, movement off the ball, string passes together. Even with average to sh@#T players a manager can install a work effort and show some kind of shape.

Yeah sure it takes time to adapt to a style of play but it's the simple aspects of football which aren't there irrespective to whatever style you play!

That is down to the manager and coaching staff to make sure you have a good base in which a style of play can be applied too.  It just isn't there at all and he needs to either get the chop sooner rather than later or get some better coaches in!

Pearson is still the 1st team coach and the other fools around him are still from the old regime, so there is no suprise we haven't improved from when Souness and Roeder were here

That's fair enough and I can understand the anger and frustration but the difference is this:

Under Roeder and Souness - I knew it wouldn't get any better,

Under Allardyce  - I know it can and will get better if he's given time and backed in the transfer market.

It's not all rosy and I accept we're playing some fucking awful stuff but we're picking up points and winning games. I just think he deserves a bit of time and patience to get things set up the way he wants them. If we're still playing like this AND losing this time next year then it'll need looking at. But for the time being we need to get behind him and the team and stick with him. IMO obviously.  :thup: